All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ncdsl
join:2000-10-13
Apex, NC

ncdsl

New Installation Information (Cary, NC area)

I currently have AT&T UVerse service for internet and phone but am considering moving to TWC depending upon price negotiations.

Background
I have never had cable service. The house was originally pre-wired with RG59 or RG6 coax running to the room wall box with the cable terminating outside the house near the phone interface box.. I would be purchasing my own modem. The new internet service would be either 20 Mbps or 15 Mbps.

• I understand either the Motorola SB6121 or Motorola SB6141 would work fine. Is there any advantage for the SB6141?
• I understand TWC would provide the modem for the phone service. I would use a splitter and have 2 modems to provide the service. Since I am providing my own internet modem there would be no monthly service charge... correct?
• Given my current wiring situation above what should I expect or ask for in installation?
• Do I need to pay for an installation to run a new line to my upstairs bedroom where the modems will be located? How much does this typically cost?
• How do they typically run such a line? The bedroom is upstairs on the opposite side of the house where the line would come to the house. The house is built with a crawlspace and attic.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions. I'm new to cable services.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper

6121 probably cheaper, 6141 for future proofing (it will be fine for up to 100 Mbps service, the 6121 tops out at 50 Mbps). Since you're only going to have 15-20 Mbps service - I don't think it will matter which one you get.

Correct - customer supplied data modem = no modem rental fee

I would ask for an install, just to make sure it works initially (and if you aren't familiar with what you have). For sure - if U-Verse is already running on the coax, you will want new coax so they won't both be running on the same coax at the same time.

Don't know about the install in the house charges / what they would do. When I got my cable internet installed - there was darn little for the tech to do - the temp install was to run coax from the service to my house, then another cable on the outside to where I wanted it installed - simple hole drilled through wall sealed up and a face plate. Your installation sounds like it will take more.

BTW - you should be able to find the modems at any number of places - Best Buy, HH Gregg, Tiger Direct (on Capital in Raleigh), Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, maybe even Target / Walmart.

You'll also need a router of some sort. If the router you buy / own can do 11g or better wifi, it should be fine (as a general rule).

iRob
join:2014-08-19
Mckinney, TX
MikroTik RB3011 UiAS-RM
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
ARRIS SB6183

iRob to ncdsl

to ncdsl
I currently have U-Verse as well and am planning to move to TWC after U-Verse promo ends and faster speeds come to my.
I had chatted with someone online regarding the switch to TWC, and I asked them what the installation would consist of (I have to get installation since house was never connected to cable) and they said they would run a coax line to where needed, connect you to the service, give you a wall plate and activate your modem. Obviously since you are buying your own modem and router and if you want them out of there as soon as they are done then you could, according to online chat, since modem activation is pretty simple. Rest of questions scooper answered, I was just sharing some insight based on installation from TWC chat support.
Fisamo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC

Fisamo to ncdsl

Premium Member

to ncdsl
When you switch to TWC, you'll be completely cutting the cord with U-verse, right? If so, you wouldn't need any new coax. However, TWC would need to install a junction box outside your house, and I believe they'd charge for each outlet you activate (though a default "new installation" fee could include more than one outlet). Your best bet for understanding installation fees is to call TWC and ask (per their website). Even if you don't intend to use TWC for television, it probably wouldn't hurt to activate the number of outlets included in the installation fee.

Will you have any TV service? If not, you might consider just using two separate outlets for phone and internet. That way, you wouldn't need to supply a splitter (TWC installs a splitter in their junction box if you activate more than one outlet).

If Uverse has worked well with your existing coax, you probably don't need to switch it out to get similar performance with TWC.

iRob
join:2014-08-19
Mckinney, TX
MikroTik RB3011 UiAS-RM
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
ARRIS SB6183

iRob

said by Fisamo:

TWC would need to install a junction box outside your house

Is this junction box similar to a NID? is that where they ground the line?
Fisamo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC

Fisamo

Premium Member

same concept. And yes, they do run a ground wire from it. Basically, it's an outdoor plastic box (weather resistant) with a splitter inside.
ncdsl
join:2000-10-13
Apex, NC

ncdsl

Thanks for everyones replies. Just to clarify a few things..

* My existing UVerse services uses the house telephone wiring, so if I switch to TWC I would need a new line, unless RG59/RG6 is acceptable. Any thoughts if I should have a new line pulled... I didn't know if the "old" RG59/RG6 can support the TWC speeds acceptably.

I'll have to call TWC to get an idea of installation cost. I don't currently have, or want TV service, but if I have to pay for a line pull for the internet it may be a good idea to have a line pulled to the TV location.

* Thanks for the modem source locations. I was already comparing prices at Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Am I correct to assume that any of the "approved" modems purchased from these sources would work on the TWC system?

I already use an Asus RT-N66W router with my UVerse setup.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Rg6 can support TWC speeds I have some old RG 6 lines coming to the rooms to feed everything (TV, Internet, and Phone)

zapman987
join:2014-10-20
Raleigh, NC

zapman987 to ncdsl

to ncdsl
Be aware TWC is currently doing massive upgrades in the area, so you may want the "future-proof" modem. They are from what everyone is hearing going to double all the speeds. So that 15-20Mb might be 50 soon.