join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

[Appliances] No heat Bosch Nexxt 500 Electric Dryer

Our electric dryer stopped working. Drum turns and all the controls work normally but there is no heat. Hoped it was just a over temp condition but unplugging it for a couple of hours had no effect. Checked the obvious stuff both supply legs are live so it is getting 240V and checked the pigtail to make sure there were no loose connections.

We used to have a Maytag electric dryer until we replaced it with this one in 2008. Back then was able to do extensive repair on the unit. With the Bosh can't even figure out how to open it up to get access.

Anyone have with experience with this dryer?

/tom

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

John97

Premium Member

Any luck on Youtube? I had to replace an element in our Samsung electric dryer a few weeks ago and I found a video showing how to tear the thing apart, replace the part, and put it back together. I had the laptop out there in the garage with me as I was doing it.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

1 recommendation

Tex to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
High limit? If so, they have a manual reset button.

»www.repairclinic.com/Par ··· 129&mr=0

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Thanks for both our your suggestions. No luck, the stuff on youtube show an removable access on the back. Ours has a solid back so did not want to remove the entire rear panel. I removed the top cover, unfortunately that only gave me access to the top of the drum - nothing useful. No access through the bottom.

Looks like to get to the guts you need to take off the front panel, which entails removing the dryer door. I'm reluctant to do so much disassembly, we have a repair tech scheduled for Tuesday.

We have never had the dryer serviced but the tech did complain about how hard it was to repair the Bosch units when we needed the washer serviced. We just replaced the washer with an LG and am not looking forward to spending another $800 to replace a 7 year old dryer. Hopefully it is something simple but that will still cost $200.

/tom

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

It seems to open a washer / dryer for repair is half the battle. Once I figured out our fairly easy to open washer without standing it on it's head by watching a pro do it, the rest was a breeze. I may have even said "Eureka" or a modern day expletive enhanced equivalent after watching the pro. My former method was not unlike a TV wrasslin' match - old fart vs. the washing machine in a cage match. Probably worth $1.13 to see on PPV.

The only Bosch units I am familiar with were fixed by pros for a dishwasher recall. Took them a few hours to change one little part. (House had twin dishwashers. ) I stood by and watched as liaison for absentee homeowners. I have no complaints therein.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
Questionable page from Google search: »www.justanswer.com/appli ··· ood.html

pull the dryer away from the wall and go in the back remove the cover over the heater assembly and press the reset button on the thermostat mounted on the side of the heater

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH

tschmidt

MVM

Yup that is what I was hoping for, alas there is no access panel on the back.

/tom
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

The whole back wall needs to come off ... somehow.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

1 recommendation

Grumpy4 to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
Bosch appliance enclosure tool, part #13

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
What is the model?

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

I know you have all been waiting with bated breath to find out what was wrong. The tech just left.

It was the overtemp cutout - just needed a reset. The good news is he said has never had to replace the heating element in one of these Bosch dryers so that was encouraging.

Now I know how to access the guts, need to take the top off and the entire back panel, with the exception of a couple of screws. The over temp thermostat is near the bottom. No access panel on these units.

Tech had a neat tool, a 4" duct cleaning brush, kind of like a baby chimney brush, with a 10' extremely flexible handle. In retrospect obvious such a took should exist but I never thought about it. In the past I vacuumed the area near the dryer and cleaned lint by the outdoor dryer vent. He turned the dryer on and ran the brush through a few times from the outside and quite a lot of lint got blown out. Looks like I have another tool to purchase.

All in all a worthwhile expense, if it ever happens again I'll know what to do. Nice knowing you don't have to access the unit from the front.

/tom

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

»www.amazon.com/Gardus-RL ··· 014CN8Y8

A great tool to have. Lots of people use them to clean pellet stove venting as well as dryer vents.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to tschmidt

to tschmidt
Had an issue with my dryer not pushing heat but everything else working.

Found out it was the fuse box. My dryer is hooked up to two separate fuses. The fuse that gives power to the heater element tripped but the other one didn't.

pushed that fuse button to reset it and all was fixed.