CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Samsung 3 (4.4.2) and K9 mail...

I was testing my sons email address with my phone (my mom said she could not email him - got an error). So I used K9 to send an email to the account. I actually sent a couple emails - apparently one failed.

Since then (Dec 31st) I have been getting the same message - "Failed to send some message... Negative SMTP reply: 504 5.5.2 email address"

The pain of it is - when I tap in the message in the notification center - it takes me to K9 but not to any email message. In fact - I can't find ANY email in K9 that can even be remotely associated with the message. Not in the regular mailbox (for the 2 accounts I have) , not in the K9mail-errors, the spam or Trash folders.

I have rebooted several times and kept the phone off overnight and I am still getting the message - though it did seem to take a day or so off before starting again this morning...

Any ideas?

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

Tel

An SMTP error 552 or 5.5.2 means the recipient's mailbox has reached its maximum allowed size.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

He has a grand total of 3 emails in his inbox...

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
That may not mean much. Email accounts have a max size limit, altho it's likely that hasn't been reached with 3 emails. I'm assuming they've been downloaded from the server?

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
I think the mail provider is where you should be looking. It's certainly neither a Samsung, K9, nor Android problem.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Well - I think it still at least partially lies with the app as the emails seem to be phantom (not listed in any way in K9 but get the notification from either the OS or K9)...

The account is a AOL sub-account - unless the limit is 311 kb (including the trash)... AS far as I can tell there are no size limits.

debb - no - the his emails like mine are on the AOL server. I literally have - between 3 accounts thousands of emails on the accounts. One always has 1K emails (my trash account).

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Your mom got an error sending, or trying to send, a message. Was she using K9 ?

The SMTP message you rec'd is from your mail server, not the K9 app.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Mom was using - I dunno - probably TW email. She does not have a smart phone and I have no idea what error she got (I should not have said the same error - that is an assumption).

And if it is sent from AOL - then K9 should have the email since that is what the OS opens when I try and see the email - and it doesn't and neither does my AOL account when I access AOL on my PC (which makes since since I sent the email via K9 linked to my AOL account). It has just the notification on my phone so it does seem to be related to the phone more than AOL.

Seems to be happening less but it did it this morning. Since I have zero emails - it seems to be more of an issue with the notification.

I went and turned off notifications in K9 - see what happens...
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Looks like it is from not using the full email address including domain. Though I am not sure I believe that but K9 has zero record of the email that was sent (nothing for his email address in the sent folder).

I can't even remotely believe the notifications over a week later are from AOL responding to an email sent that long ago and I seriously doubt K9 is trying to actively send the email that is causing the issue. I really still think I should have an email from AOL that goers with the notification instead of JUST the notification piece and nothing else.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

After about another week the messages seemed to change (dont remember the message) but this time 2 emails to his account showed up in the send folder that were not listed before. Deleted the 2 emails and the notifications stopped. No why the emails were not listed in the folder for the couple of weeks before.