spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dallas1
join:2014-04-16
Oshawa

dallas1

Getting full speed on modem but when i connect to router it drop

I can get 330 download 11 upload but when i connect to routers. I get 166 download upload 11.34 and yes it wired i also have the asus rt n66u an modem in bridge mode

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

That's about right for the n66u.
What firmware are you running? merlin and stock will net better results then tomato etc.
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

TomatoUSB
Model Asus RT-N66U
Chipset Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1 pkg 0

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

i would recommend using merlin's with hardware acceleration.
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

what speed are you getting on router

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

i don't have a same router as you.

using R7000 (full speeds) DD-WRT
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

How do i flash merlin's over TomatoUSB
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

2 recommendations

Datalink

Premium Member

The chipset, both Asus and Netgear, has Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) built in. Essentially it operates like data forwarding at the chip level, forwarding data from a WAN IP address to a LAN IP address with very little if any processing. Its poorly described in any documentation and poorly understood by the home / small office router community. It is incompatible with numerous functions such as QOS and traffic monitoring which requires processing by the router processor prior to forwarding to the LAN IP address. Selecting any number of features that require processing of the data will disable the CTF function. So, depending on what you are running for firmware, it may take some experimentation to determine which functions disable CTF and which functions are also disabled by enabling CTF. With the CTF capability, your choice becomes one of running the router for speed, or running the router for its functionality. The stock firmware has the Hardware Acceleration (CTF enable) buried in the LAN.....SWITCH CONTROL page as shown here:

»event.asus.com/2012/nw/d ··· ent.html

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Tomato is known to limit the speeds around 150, that's your issue.
Best bet, swap back to stock, then to Merlin's.
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

Click for full size
do i have to go back to asus rt n66u Firmware and do it from there or can i add merlin on tomatousb

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

No idea, check the tomato forums, if they say you can go direct to stock, same with apply to Merlin's.
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

I couldnt find anything can you look for me
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

Didn't find anything as well, but have a look at the note on this page regarding clearing the NVRAM when you are flashing to a different firmware. If you did reload the Asus firmware as an interim step, it would give you a chance to run a couple of speedtests first, before moving onto Merlin. That way, with Merlin loaded and more speedtests done, you would know which of the two firmware versions yields better data rate results, if that is what you are shooting for.

»www.shadowandy.net/2012/ ··· uide.htm
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

alright thanks ill do that then
Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

After you have gone through all of that can you post your results? I'm sure there will be others who have the N66U that will be interested in your results.
lethalsniper
join:2010-10-01
North York, ON

lethalsniper to dallas1

to dallas1
I'm getting the same problem. Just bridged the cgn3 and using my own router called netgear night hawk ac1900 , did some speed test and I was surprised that the CGN3 gave me better speeds and was more steady on wifi and direct connect all firmware up todate so what can be the cause of this Realy thought a 3rd party router would give me better speeds the the rogers CGN3

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

What firmware are you using on the Nighthawk?
I have no issues pushing 800megabits to the wan side of my ac66u running merlin. With tomato, I get 165.
lethalsniper
North York, ON

lethalsniper

I have the latest firmware when I bought it it said I need to upgrade so I did
lethalsniper

lethalsniper to Nitra

to Nitra
What's tomato and Merlin firmware ?
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

Click for full size
Click for full size

JAMESMTL
Premium Member
join:2014-09-02

JAMESMTL to lethalsniper

Premium Member

to lethalsniper
I am kinda surprised your not getting full speed with the r7000 as it's capable of 330+ Mbps even without fast path (CTF). What speed connection do you have and speeds are you actually getting?

Merlin is open source 3rd party firmware only available for Asus routers. Tomato and DD-WRT is open source 3rd party firmware available for a number of routers

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Dallas, you are not bridged, look at the wan ip.
king_2015
join:2010-09-15
King City, ON

king_2015 to dallas1

to dallas1
I have used asus rt-n66u in the past with rogers with asus orginal and merlin firmware with no issues. Ya, your not in bridge mode!!
dallas1
Oshawa

1 edit

dallas1

Not right now i'm not if i go into bride mode would i get a better connection and i also turn off the wifi for now on the modem
dallas1

dallas1

Click for full size
Should i disable CTF(Cut Through Forwarding)
lethalsniper
North York, ON

lethalsniper to dallas1

to dallas1
Is there any way to setup the CGN3 router/gatway to have a open NAT using it for 2 Xbox console one has a open NAT other one is moderate or strict
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

Xbox one or 360
lethalsniper
North York, ON

lethalsniper

Datalink
Premium Member
Ottawa ON

1 edit

Datalink to dallas1

Premium Member

to dallas1
To run speedtests with the Asus firmware, you want to enable the NAT acceleration. That will enable the Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) and potentially disable many functions that require processing of the data. The object here is speed over functionality.
Datalink

2 edits

Datalink to lethalsniper

Premium Member

to lethalsniper
@lethalsniper, its possible that the Cut Through Forwarding is enabled out of the box, so to speak and disabled if any of the functions that it is incompatible with have been selected. Its possible that you might have to run a factory reset and once complete, ensure that the QOS and Internet Traffic Meter functions are disabled. The QOS is found on page 41 of the manual and the Internet Traffic Meter is found on page 130. I came across a post that indicated that turning off the Internet Traffic Meter allowed the Nighthawk to run at the speeds that were expected. There is no mention from what I can see of any Hardware Acceleration function, setting or capability. The manual appears to be completely devoid of any explanation of Broadcom's CTF and what functions may be incompatible with it. I understand now why someone on another forum criticized Netgear for leaving the owners to hunt and peck so to speak, in order to determine how to run the Nighthawk at the higher speeds that you are expecting. All I can suggest is to keep hunting on other forums for a list of R7000 functions that are not compatible with CTF, or as I indicated, run a reset, and then start turning functions off, one by one, running speedtests after every disabled function until you have it figured out. Leave the firewall and security functions enabled however. You should not have to turn them off to see higher speeds.

Here are a couple of interesting references to the R7000 regarding its data rates:

»dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.ph ··· on_R7000

»forum1.netgear.com/showt ··· ?t=92826