spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MrRuxin
join:2015-01-05
Detroit, MI

MrRuxin

[Install] New Service??

I currently have AT&T DSL service at $49 for a 6-7mps download and 256k upload and a 150gb data cap.

So been looking at Comcast HSI, Live in Detroit Michigan, and wonder what the data caps are here?

Also I have directv to tv service and would probably need new lines ran to the house for the modem. Do they charge extra for this? Or is part of the free installation?

Also I have an AirPort Extreme router and plan on purchasing my own cable modem instead of leasing, which one would you suggest?

And lastly, what is the best way to order service? Online? Over the phone?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance. Bill

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Are you getting just stand alone internet no phone service ? At this time there is no data caps in Michigan but that can and will change at any time as they are conducting trial data caps in other states. When the cap is reinstated here it will most likely be 300GB a month you will have a 3 month courtesy of going over with out paying overages, if you go over more then 3 times a year they will charge you $10.00 extra for each 50GB block you go over.

I know comcast will run the line from the tap to your house as part of there install but not sure if they will run any inside wiring for free that varies by market.

The best way to order service is either by going to your local comcast service center or by phone at 1-800-comcast.

If you dont get there phone service the Zoom 5341J or the Motorola SB-6141 or SB-6183 are good choices for customer owned modems. If you want wireless remember you will need a good high quality router to pair with the modem.
MrRuxin
join:2015-01-05
Detroit, MI

MrRuxin

Just going to getting internet Service. Shouldn't need any additional wiring. Just to the new modem. I have an AirPort Extreme A/C router already so that should do the trick there

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Ok the only reason i asked if you were getting there phone service is because the above mentioned modems do not support phone service. Good Luck with it. Feel free to post back after the install and let us know how you like it.