Search similar:

uniqs
KaneIsmyname
join:2014-11-12
USA

1 edit

KaneIsmyname

fiber or dsl/vdsl/adsl2

I was told by an at&t agent that they installed fiber in my area (Springfield, MO). I asked an agent if it was dsl and he assured that it was not. From what I've heard at&t uverse is vdsl/adsl2. Does at&t uverse actually provide FTTP service or am I mistaken? I had u-verse before and had terrible latency but it was vdsl.

Porthos
@108.243.153.x

Porthos

Anon

The service offered in Springfield, as far as I know, is fiber to the Vrad and copper to your house. That is what I have in south Springfield and that is all I have seen anywhere in the city.
KaneIsmyname
USA

KaneIsmyname

From what I know a VRAD supplies dsl and tv signal. When I asked the agent if it's fiber optic he should've called it a hybrid system and not fiber optic internet then. I actually thought it was fiber for a minute..oh well.
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016 to KaneIsmyname

to KaneIsmyname
AT&T does FTTP in new builds. I am on FTTP with my uverse connection. My entire subdivision has been built in the last 6 years though so they only run fiber to the houses. I think people have been throwing around that only around 5% of customers are on FTTP.
KaneIsmyname
USA

KaneIsmyname

That's where I'm confused. I was told that they recently installed fiber in my area, specific to my address.
benk016
Owasso, OK

benk016

More than likely its just fiber to the VRAD. Unless you're in a new development.
KaneIsmyname
USA

KaneIsmyname

You're probably right. I'll ask them if it's FTTP or FTTN next time I call.
benk016
Owasso, OK

benk016

To be honest, the sales people don't know the difference. To them its all fiber.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to KaneIsmyname

Premium Member

to KaneIsmyname
If you are in a new construction house, you (most likely) have FTTP/GPON. If you are in an existing utility infrastructure area, almost certainly you are serviced via FTTN/xDSL

Was this a door to door sales agent? A phone rep? AT&T Store rep? A commission-based Sales Rep has a strong incentive to get you to sign up, and also an incentive to tell you anything you want to hear, and also a Sales agent also is typically not the most technically sound or proficient.

Coming here and asking questions is the smart thing to do =)
ILpt4U

3 edits

ILpt4U to benk016

Premium Member

to benk016
said by benk016:

To be honest, the sales people don't know the difference. To them its all fiber.

And I believe that isn't just on the Sales people. I think it comes down from their training and the information they are given

I've heard stories of Sales personnel telling customers that if they had FTTP, it would make their PCs/TVs explode, because regular electronics can't handle the Fiber! Yes, that is an extreme case, but like I said, when you are paid based on Sales...

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by ILpt4U:

I've heard stories of Sales personnel telling customers that if they had FTTP, it would make their PCs/TVs explode, because regular electronics can't handle the Fiber!

Just wow...

Fiber..?!
You can't handle the fiber!!!

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

I've heard it, from the Sales guy's mouth. I let him know that if he ever used that pitch to me, or I ever heard it, I'd throw him off the property and would never do business with the Company making that pitch, as it is dishonest, untrue, and unethical.

But I learned early in life I am not a Sales person, and I do not understand them at all
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80 to KaneIsmyname

to KaneIsmyname
I've been thrown off property based of the lies of a salesman. The customer was promised that I'd bring a flat screen and a tablet when I came to run fiber to their house because the fiber is too fast for the equipment in their house, LOL. That sales guy was a dirty diaper because he was full of hot shit