uniqs
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Thread Sealant

I was wondering if anyone has used "Megaloc" thread sealant and if so, what do you think of it?
»www.homedepot.com/s/mega ··· c?NCNI-5

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 edit

tp0d

Premium Member

I use Megaloc exclusively, have 3 cans on the truck.

It comes out of clothes well, doesnt dry out like others, and just works good. I use it on pipe threads, faucet threads, screws (as an antilock), any sliding surfaces that need it...

As with any dope/sealant, only put enough on the threads, so you can still see the threads. If the threads disappear, its too much. Too much can clog the pipe and/or gas valve

-j

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
I certainly can't add much to the previous posters post except to say that I use it all the time also and it's great stuff!
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to bbear2

to bbear2
I recently used Rectorseal Tru-Blu sealant in my air compressor system that I did with black pipe and while it worked OK I did have some trouble with some of my joints.

Maybe the problems were "rookie mistakes" as I have never worked with black pipe or 150psi systems before, much less Tru-Blu (I would normally have used teflon tape thruout) but if anyone can comment on Tru-Blu vs. Megaloc I'd like to hear it.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

1 edit

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Some interesting remedies here

»www.practicalmachinist.c ··· -210417/

Low quality due to origin of parts / thread cut is high on the list of problems
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

For those who use Megaloc, I have a few questions. Regarding the consistency, what should it be like? The can I borrowed is of unknown age and the blue stuff seemed to have separated. So before using I stirred the heck out of it until it turned into a gritty like paste - similar to tile mud. Does that sound normal?

Also, where do you buy the stuff? I've only found it on the Home Depot site but that's online only; not in the stores. The other box stores don't even carry it at all.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

i bought megaloc right in the plumbing isle at HD. thick gritty pudding would be right. it does not drip off the brush at all.

im a bigger fan of rectorseal 5

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
said by bbear2:

For those who use Megaloc, I have a few questions. Regarding the consistency, what should it be like? The can I borrowed is of unknown age and the blue stuff seemed to have separated. So before using I stirred the heck out of it until it turned into a gritty like paste - similar to tile mud. Does that sound normal?

Also, where do you buy the stuff? I've only found it on the Home Depot site but that's online only; not in the stores. The other box stores don't even carry it at all.

Any product like this will seperate when stored, as long as it isnt dried out, yer fine. Def stir before using.

I get mine at my distrib.. Duno if the box stores have it. If its free ship, its worth it to buy.

-j