All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

[Equip] Comcast claiming ownership of TM822?

I got my parents a TM822 eMTA from bestbuy back when they were selling them there for Comcast... yes the TM822 after they stopped stocking the 722 they had 822's for a little...

well all the sudden Comcast sent them a you owe us money letter for unpaid rental of the TM822G, which as I have said is owned and purchased from BB....

They sent in the receipt, and Comcast is still saying it's their eMTA because it's a "Comcast serial number" something or other... well the receipts don't list serials just that you bought the product and they had Comcast do the install as was required at the time....

anyone else have any problems like this with an owned eMTA? This came out of no where after their account was "audited" for what ever reason triggered the audit
Robyn79
Premium Member
join:2014-12-09

Robyn79

Premium Member

[Equip] Re: Comcast claiming ownership of TM822?

Did you buy from Best Buy - or a Best Buy marketplace vendor?

FWIW - I've never seen an 822 in my local Best Buy - only the 862.

Did your parents keep the paperwork from the installation?

When was the modem purchased - and when was the installation? Robyn

NotRetail
@99.71.148.x

NotRetail to neufuse

Anon

to neufuse
It really does not matter where you bought the TM822; Comcast does not list the TM822 as a retail modem. From Comcast's point of view, if it is not retail, then it is either an active rental modem, or a stolen modem. It pays to check at http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ before purchasing a modem for use on Comcast's network.

Robyn79
Premium Member

Robyn79

Premium Member

said by NotRetail :

It really does not matter where you bought the TM822; Comcast does not list the TM822 as a retail modem. From Comcast's point of view, if it is not retail, then it is either an active rental modem, or a stolen modem. It pays to check at http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ before purchasing a modem for use on Comcast's network.

You're technically correct. But - if Best Buy was actually selling this modem - then it might be a fight between Best Buy and Comcast. OTOH - I kind of suspect this wasn't something bought directly from Best Buy. If I bought this thing directly from Best Buy - I'd ask for my money back - plus something to compensate me for my inconvenience. And call it a day.

BTW - if anyone doesn't think that a lot of questionable stuff is being sold on line - look at this:

»www.amazon.com/Comcast-D ··· 0AQAWDIG

Robyn
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to neufuse

to neufuse

Re: [Equip] Comcast claiming ownership of TM822?

Make Comcast prove that they installed the modem and have them prove via signature required that they delivered it to you.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

said by sabretooth:

Make Comcast prove that they installed the modem and have them prove via signature required that they delivered it to you.

Once the rep gets done laughing they'll happily transfer the account to collections.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

This was at the best buy store a physical location that was at the time a comcast location also.. they use to sell TM722G's for the retail kit, but a few months before comcast discontinued the sales at BB they switched to TM822G's at the BB stores for their Retail kits... so yes this was purchased as a retail kit, it was at an authorized best buy store... so it should be a retail device this was what about a year ago?

NotRetail
@99.71.148.x

NotRetail to Robyn79

Anon

to Robyn79

Re: [Equip] Re: Comcast claiming ownership of TM822?

said by Robyn79:

You're technically correct. But - if Best Buy was actually selling this modem - then it might be a fight between Best Buy and Comcast. OTOH - I kind of suspect this wasn't something bought directly from Best Buy.

For a brief period in a limited number of retail stores, Best Buy did sell the TM822. Would you care to guess why they stopped doing this?

Since I am not a lawyer, I won't comment on who I think will have to prove what to whom. But Comcast's official list of approved modems is publicly posted for all to see. Even though I am not a lawyer, I think I can safely say that the ancient precedent of "Caveat Emptor" is just as valid today as it was nearly 3 millennia ago.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse to sabretooth

to sabretooth

well technically comcast DID install the modem, it was required as part of the sale to set up an install job by comcast even though you purchased the modem
neufuse

neufuse to Robyn79

to Robyn79

like I said, this was at an authorized best buy store that was a comcast location.. there was not many of them but they did exist
neufuse

neufuse to Robyn79

to Robyn79
Just looked at the receipt and it's dated May 11, 2012 for $149 for a "Comcast Voice Data Adapter" and a SKU Install was a little under a week later, done by a comcast contractor. Still have everything, even the original comcast box it came in, which wasn't a brown box that they give out normally to rental installs, it's a full color glossy box

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL

cHarley

Yea, I remember seeing here on this forum last year, that the TM822 was being sold by some BB stores and several people here purchased them.

NotRetail
@99.71.148.x

NotRetail to neufuse

Anon

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

Just looked at the receipt and it's dated May 11, 2012 for $149 for a "Comcast Voice Data Adapter" and a SKU Install was a little under a week later, done by a comcast contractor. Still have everything, even the original comcast box it came in, which wasn't a brown box that they give out normally to rental installs, it's a full color glossy box

Personally, I believe that you did indeed purchase the TM822 in question from Best Buy; partly because I know that they did sell them for a limited time in limited markets.

However, the two DTAs that I rent from Comcast were also delivered it glossy Comcast branded boxes; so producing the glossy Comcast branded boxes as evidence might backfire. :|
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to NotRetail

to NotRetail
I think if it were to get all the way to where Comcast put it in collections and the OP sued in small claims court under the FCRA the burden of proof would be on the debt collector to prove the debt is valid.

But it wouldn't be fun having to get to that point.

Bes bet would be to contact one of the escalation teams so they can straighten it out.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

I'm going to have to try to yell at them again for trying this... It's only in my court because my parents know nothing about how these things work or how to handle Comcast... and since I convinced them to buy instead of rent... guess who they go to *lol*

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

You might have to do a bbb complaint about this is it's not resolve
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to mackey

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by sabretooth:

Once the rep gets done laughing they'll happily transfer the account to collections.

Well it's worked for others, thought it may work for him. Comcast has to prove it is their modem.
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to mackey

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by sabretooth:

that's actually how I got comcast to concede that my modem doesn't belong to them.

anon4
@71.196.118.x

anon4 to neufuse

Anon

to neufuse
With your Best Buy Receipt and package box of TM822 from Best Buy. See if the box has same SERIAL NUMBER of the voice modem label on package box if not, not a problem. Take these two items to local Comcast office, which I know it's going be hassle wait time. Physically showed them and they would do ticket which it take 30 days to get resolve. So you might still get phone calls until then, but you give them ticket # rep gave you at local office. Sadly, you can't do this over the phone cause physical proof. Be polite to local office rep, it's audit/finance team being the problem. Hope this helps! Let's us know!

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
The BBB is worthless as has no authority to do anything.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

talked to someone on the phone again at their "corporate team" they claimed the modem has always been marked as a retail device and they would "look into it" and they confirmed that they did for a period sell TM822G's retail at Best buy, but it doesn't show up on their site as a possible retail device... had to be a little snippy with them and say well shouldn't you list it there then?... If this isn't cleared up next month it will have to be drug down to the local office... they claim it "should be fixed" love the should in the sentence...
Robyn79
Premium Member

Robyn79 to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse
I can't add to what's been said about Comcast.

But I wouldn't let Best Buy off the hook here either. Because - whatever arrangement it had with Comcast - it screwed up in terms of accounting properly for the modem it sold you.

I would find out who to deal with at Best Buy. Copy them in on written communications with Comcast - and keep them advised of phone calls and any visits to Comcast offices. Let them know you're prepared to make a fuss if they don't help to solve your problem.

I had a very vexing issue with something I bought from Best Buy about a year ago. In the end - I wound up returning the product to Best Buy and buying it elsewhere. But the CSR I was dealing with - who tried her best to help me solve the problem (and failed) - gave me a $50 gift card for my "trouble".

Good luck in solving your problem, Robyn
sparc
join:2006-05-06

1 edit

sparc to neufuse

to neufuse
Pretty much a daily occurrence of this happening on the forums. It took me two months to get this sorted out. I'm fairly confident that Comcast is so unethical that they will try to steal my owned modem again down the road and extort me for rental fees. Save your modem receipts. Here's a recent thread...

»[Bill] Comcast charges $8 monthly modem lease on purchased modems?

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse
And this is why I wont be buying an 822G. Too bad everything is so unregulated that Comcast can literally do whatever it wants regarding CPE - in Canada the cable providers HAVE to give you the option of buying your equipment - even the cable STB's!
solarein
join:2010-12-03
San Francisco, CA

solarein to Zoder

to Zoder

said by Zoder:

I think if it were to get all the way to where Comcast put it in collections and the OP sued in small claims court under the FCRA the burden of proof would be on the debt collector to prove the debt is valid.

But it wouldn't be fun having to get to that point.

Bes bet would be to contact one of the escalation teams so they can straighten it out.

Once they decide the account is delinquent and transfer it to collections, wouldn't they also stop service?
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

just was told a little tidbit by a buddy that works at comcast business support. I guess the modems are tagged so you can know if they are retail or comcast lease... if they are TM822G-CT they are comcast leased modems the last two letters tell them what it is... the modem that best buy sold doesn't have CT as the last part of the model number by itself theirs says TM822G-CTSIK which is a customer owned self install kit modem