All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cnyguy
join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY

cnyguy

How long can these content agreement battles last?

So its been since Jan. 3 that those in the Syracuse area have had Fox , My Network and another channel I couldn't even tell you existed that have been pulled from Fios over negotiation battle on the content rates. I thought for sure they would have resolved it prior to the NFL game yesterday but it came and went. The longest I remember this happening before was a day or 2. How long have you seen these battles go for?

At least Fios provided a month of free premium channels.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

1 edit

thetick

A few days is nothing. How about a month.
See »www.hollywoodreporter.co ··· 0-652131

And currently:
»www.ibtimes.com/dish-net ··· -1771328
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to cnyguy

to cnyguy
Boston had to put up with a Foxless week missing out on one NFL game (not the Pats) and limiting another to Fox Deportes
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

I long for the days when we had free TV and you could find good shows to watch.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

You do. It is called an antenna.
There is lots of talk about people cutting the cord and going to streaming an OTA.
I wonder how much money the locals will lose if everyone goes OTA?
They can't charge a fee for that and would lose anything they get from cable providers.
bull3964
join:2014-09-27
Pittsburgh, PA

bull3964 to cnyguy

to cnyguy
Expect things to get worse in the long run.

AD revenue has been steadily declining as eyeballs have been divided with more and more content as well as questions about the efficacy of the advertising itself. Thus, more networks are leaning on carriage fees more and more. Already, we are approaching the 50/50 point in ad revenue vs carriage fee revenue. Carriage fees are expected to make up the majority of a network's revenue in just a couple of years as ad revenue continues to decline. So, any time a contract is renegotiated, the content provider is going to try to raise carriage fees because they see the writing on the wall.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

Interesting comment page from Verizon on the subject.
As well as a link to a consortium that is trying to fight these issues:
»www.verizon.com/Support/ ··· Z_N_Z133
cnyguy
join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY

cnyguy

What I find funny too is they provide alternative options to view the programming (Hulu, Netflix) that I don't have access to but they don't mention the free option of OTA.

just lou
join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

just lou to crgauth

to crgauth
said by crgauth:

There is lots of talk about people cutting the cord and going to streaming an OTA.
They can't charge a fee for that and would lose anything they get from cable providers.

I remember back in the 70's as a kid I had 7 channels to watch. Then we got cable, and there were maybe up to 2 dozen. Currently at my office at work using an antenna on the roof, we get I'd say at least 40-50 channels OTA for free. Most in HD. It's not the 100's I get at home with FiOS Ultimate, but it's still more than I could have dreamed of growing up.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

said by just lou:

said by crgauth:

I remember back in the 70's as a kid I had 7 channels to watch. Then we got cable, and there were maybe up to 2 dozen. Currently at my office at work using an antenna on the roof, we get I'd say at least 40-50 channels OTA for free. Most in HD. It's not the 100's I get at home with FiOS Ultimate, but it's still more than I could have dreamed of growing up.

Yep... all a matter of perspective. Anyone else recall when HBO used to be on only about 18 hours/day? They wouldn't start broadcasting until around 5 pm. Today... there are so many HBO channels, it's hard to keep track of everything that's on.
optivity
join:2014-10-13
Guilderland, NY

optivity to just lou

to just lou
said by just lou:

It's not the 100's I get at home with FiOS Ultimate, but it's still more than I could have dreamed of growing up.

True, but we pay dearly for this service and the greedy content providers want more & more all the time.

I'm paying Verizon approximately $360 per month for Wireless, Broadband, TV and Phone service. How did I ever survive before?

I guess I watch about 30 (HD only) channels on a regular basis. I'd be happy going with some A la carte channel option if it would decrease my Cable TV bill even knowing it's likely I'll pay more for each channel I subscribe to.

just lou
join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

just lou to JPL

to JPL
said by JPL:

Yep... all a matter of perspective. Anyone else recall when HBO used to be on only about 18 hours/day? They wouldn't start broadcasting until around 5 pm. Today... there are so many HBO channels, it's hard to keep track of everything that's on.

I remember. I also remember they'd only show the Rated "R" movies at night.
bobcamp177
join:2010-06-23
Cicero, NY

bobcamp177 to cnyguy

to cnyguy
An agreement has been reached. FOX is back on the air. Hopefully the guide data is updated so the DVRs will start recording on that channel again.