Mdg
Premium Member
join:2009-01-10
Allentown, PA

Mdg

Premium Member

[HVAC] Heating oil to gas conversion price

howdy,

Gas company is on my street replacing the old cast iron gas main of death. Gas main stops next door so we have oil for fuel. Contractors said that if we are thinking of getting gas now would be the time as the cost would never be lower as they are already on site.

We called 4 years ago and were quoted 3,600.00 today they quoted us 2,588. The only requirement is that we convert our primary heating system to gas within a year.

We are going to go for it. We have a young EFM PK boiler that is in excellent shape and do not want to spend the money right away to replace the boiler. I have my heating company coming out tomorrow to give me a quote on just changing the gun out.

I understand that we will stay at the same efficiency as oil (84-87%). Eventually the boiler will be replaced but not today. I was planning on drawing down the tank as low as possible around early summer and doing the actual change over when it's warm out.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions welcome
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

[HVAC] Re: Heating oil to gas conversion price

the gun alone was over 800 bucks on my buddys unit with us doing everything.(no markup)
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to Mdg

to Mdg
said by Mdg:

We called 4 years ago and were quoted 3,600.00 today they quoted us 2,588.

Many years ago, a friend of mine converted from oil heat to N.G. The gas company ran the gas line to the residence at no charge and gave the owner around $1,400.00 if they replaced their electric appliances with gas. That covered the range, water heater and dryer. I believe they received a separate subsidy for a gun type gas burner for their hot air furnace. All they had to do to was send copies of their bills for the equipment to receive payment. You should check to see if you can get a better deal.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to Mdg

MVM

to Mdg
I can't believe they are charging so much considering they are doing construction in the area anyway.
Is "next door" like next door in a subdivision or next door as in a country mile?
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

Quattrohead to Mdg

Premium Member

to Mdg
Call the gas company directly and ask them to give you a quote.
Some suggest that converting an oil boiler to gas reduces it's efficiency, I say gas is much cheaper, cleaner and never runs out.....and you only have to worry about a leak once

mustbejokin
@69.118.94.x

mustbejokin to Mdg

Anon

to Mdg
Not only are they charging you, but you MUST convert with in X time.

Oh what a joke...
Mdg
Premium Member
Allentown, PA

Mdg to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
No, its a suburban neighborhood with the houses spaced apart and set back from the street but nothing excessive. No manors with large gardens or washed up celebrities living in the guest house.

The gas company said they had to extend the gas main 50 feet to provide service.
Mdg

Mdg to Quattrohead

Premium Member

to Quattrohead
They already had a issue with the old cast iron pipes around here a couple of years ago. This month it was my streets turn to get new pipe. We are not in the city proper but they do have the sniffer trucks out when we get the freeze and thaw cycles....

»www.lehighvalleylive.com ··· ine.html
Mdg

Mdg to LittleBill

Premium Member

to LittleBill
The heating guy called me back and quoted me 2500.00 for the conversion along with all the interior gas piping, along with decommission the oil equipment and pipe. He also said he would pay me out for the remaining oil and charge me 100.00 to remove the tank.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Might be a deal, try getting ride of an old oil tank can be a real problem?
c_gadfly
join:2008-05-23
Toronto
Hitron CDA3
Asus RT-AC68
Obihai OBi202

1 recommendation

c_gadfly to Mdg

to Mdg
said by Mdg:

The heating guy called me back and quoted me 2500.00 for the conversion along with all the interior gas piping, along with decommission the oil equipment and pipe. He also said he would pay me out for the remaining oil and charge me 100.00 to remove the tank.

100 dollars to remove the tank is a steal.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by c_gadfly:

said by Mdg:

yeah up here all the people converting to electric, the contractors charge you to haul away the oil in the tank

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to Mdg

Premium Member

to Mdg
I think we may all agree (perhaps ) that you will achieve a return on investment with Natural Gas.

Pricing for a comparative study to estimate when a ROI may be achieved:*

»www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/ng_p ··· PA_a.htm

»www.human.cornell.edu/de ··· uels.pdf

After the ROI, {said Captain Obvious,} it's money in your pocket.

* If it were me, I'd look at last year's numbers due to the crazy quilt doings in the oil patch right now, but it's anybody's guess what tomorrow's prices will be.

If we could guess those futures numbers well and with consistency, we'd be sipping Mai Tais on our yachts after acquiring the requisite phony Newport Yacht club speaking accents.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to Mdg

to Mdg
said by Mdg:

Contractors said that if we are thinking of getting gas now would be the time as the cost would never be lower as they are already on site.

Check out the thread below regarding a discussion of natural gas prices. If you are in an area where natural gas prices are regulated, your financial advantages might change if natural gas prices are deregulated in your area, as seen in this thread.

»Natual Gas Prices

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4 to Mdg

Premium Member

to Mdg
I wonder too if the gas company would allow quotes from other excavation contractors for your install.

Inspector
join:2000-09-27
Shrewsbury, MA

Inspector to Mdg

to Mdg
I don't know what incentives are being offered today or in your area. We converted about 3 years ago here in MA. The gas company hooked us up free of charge ($1000 refundable deposit once connected) It was about a 50 foot run, but under a stone wall and up a hill. Not an easy job. We converted to a high efficient condensing boiler. Received a rebate from the gas company and a tax credit (or rebate, can't remember which) but also a 7 year interest free loan. Based on my usage calculations, along with gas vs. oil prices, it is more than half way paid off after the 3 years. We had 2, 275 gallon oils tanks removed for $300 total (there was a deal with select outfits through the gas company). I don't know where gas prices vs. oil may go, but due to the efficiency, cleanliness, lack of oil deliveries and no more tanks, was one of the best moves we have made.
Hope things work our for you...good luck.
Mdg
Premium Member
Allentown, PA

Mdg

Premium Member

Final numbers are in from gas company. Cost to bring gas service to house, $6,722.00. My contribution is $2,684.00

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

said by Mdg:

My contribution is $2,684.00

WIthout being an Allentown contractor, my layman's guess would be that is a very good price for 50 feet of main plus the lateral.

We needed 100' of water main and 100' of lateral for a CT commercial building back in the year 2000. We were allowed to do the lateral part with our own fully paid for backhoe and materials at $0 labor cost. The cheapest we could do regardless of who what where was $12,000. Ouch.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Mdg

Premium Member

to Mdg
said by Mdg:

My contribution is $2,684.00

I'd go for it. It would likely add that much to your house's value plus the payback, not worrying about the delivery, more even billing, etc.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Might be a deal, try getting ride of an old oil tank can be a real problem?

It depends on how you do it. I put an ad on Craigslist to give the tank away free. A few hours later someone came and took the tank.
said by c_gadfly:

said by Mdg:

The guy is going to illegally obtain heating oil. The least he can do is give him a deal on the tank removal. Still $100 is too high when there are dozens of people who will take it FREE or even sell it for $50-75!
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee to Mdg

to Mdg
said by Mdg:

Final numbers are in from gas company. Cost to bring gas service to house, $6,722.00. My contribution is $2,684.00

Our was $3,293 with my contribution at $214 when we did it last year. Overall it should be a good deal for you just in savings.
Mdg
Premium Member
Allentown, PA

Mdg

Premium Member

The contract states that I am required to locate all buried utilities on my property. I spoke with my contact at the gas company who stated that would appreciate any assistance in locating the utilities. Very vague and cryptic statement.

I prefer to plan for success then do noting and fail. I am not in mood to replace a perfectly good cast iron sewer line if I don't have to. The contractor would say oops we tired to be careful but we hit your sewer line, sorry. We're not liable since the contract stated you were responsible for locating said pipes.

I called around to some utility locating companies. The best price I was quoted was a company that had a office in Allentown, so there would be be no travel charges which were .70 a mile from their location. The first hour was 190.00 and 90 per additional hour. They fit their residential work in at the end of the day after they service their commercial customers. They would call the day before to let me know when they would be there. No issues with going that route except for the cost, i thought i would try myself and see if I could find the buried treasure.

I went to my local rental company and rented a pipe and cable locator for the day at a total cost of 75.98. I only had it a couple of hours before i returned it.

I had no issues finding the electrical wire to the post light using the live wire mode. I had no issues finding the water line. I was able to locate it without even putting a signal on the water line, they must be using some type of cathodic protection or everyone is using the water line as their house ground, myself included but with an additional ground rod.

The sewer line was a bit more difficult. I made a wire loop and wrapped it around the cast iron main stack and couldn't pick up a signal in the yard. I then clipped on to a metal floor drain and used a ground stake in the yard. I ended up getting a weak/poor/phantom reading. I then used the indirect injection mode and placed the transmitter on top of where I thought the pipe went out of the house on basement floor. Surprisingly this gave me the best results and I found the line in the yard with no issues.

I managed to save a few dollars and the heartache of working around the locating companies schedule. Once the PA one call / 811 people come out and mark the utilities in the right of way I can correlate their street markings with my yard markings and check my work.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Are they going to dig or horizontal bore to your house?
Is restoration of the surface ( lawns, etc) included?
Mdg
Premium Member
Allentown, PA

Mdg

Premium Member

From what I have seen from the house down the street who got gas last year, they do it without trenching your yard. They cut into the street and bring it across and then dig a pit where they connect you up. I believe they are using plastic pipe with a tracer wire. I would guess they use a vibrating plow / trencher to run it across the yard. I had in ground sprinklers installed this way in a previous house and it was pretty cool to watch then pull the pipe. The contact states they will restore the streets / right of way. I am responsible for restoring my own property.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Mdg

Premium Member

to Mdg
Were you also able to locate your sprinkler system lines? They are usually the most difficult to locate and are something that commercial locating companies won't even attempt in many cases.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44 to Mdg

Premium Member

to Mdg
I do underground construction in the Lehigh Valley for a living. Your sewer line is going to be a lot deeper than gas is going to be going.

At that price tho UGI wont be using a drill so any sprinkler systems and dog fences need to be marked. You will be responsible for them. We carry a utility locator and can usually locate them if we are aware they are there. PAONE takes care of marking everything else including electric. While the water company only marks to the shutoff. If that gets hit the contractor repairs that and the repair is monitored by the water company so no worries there either.

As a fellow dslrer im in the area every day feel free to im me and i could stop up and locate anything you want. Downspout drains are located by putting a steel fish thru it and locating the fish. Dog fences are located by placing a box over the dog fence and locating that way. As far as sprinkler systems i can locate the zones but locating all the actual lines would mean digging and running a fish down them. Its just not worth doing if open trenching. Its easier to just repair them. Always happy to help a neighbor at no charge at all. all the public utilities will be marked by them.

Ever have a yellow directional drill in your yard from Service Electric it was probably me.
Mdg
Premium Member
Allentown, PA

Mdg

Premium Member

Rody_44 thank you for your generous offer but I am all set here. This house doesn't have sprinklers so that made it easier. Our cable lines are above ground so no drilling here. The junior Walton who died 2 years ago lives the next street up from me. His house appears to have a fiber fed connection to his house from the cable plant. No coax connection for him. I can only imagine the services he has, uncapped Internet speeds and every channel including pay-per-view view.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

The guy was a hell of a guy. Hopefully the son can live up to his dad when it comes to the lehigh valley and what they have done for it.
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

Quattrohead to Mdg

Premium Member

to Mdg
I think they use a high pressure water drilling system of some kind.
Mdg
Premium Member
Allentown, PA

Mdg

Premium Member

The line from the street to the house was finished yesterday. They had to stop for over a month because of the weather. They dug 4 holes along the path and then used a pneumatic spike to make a hole and pulled the plastic pipe to the house. The ground was frozen 2 feet down. They had to hand dig a hole in the yard due to a underground streetlight feed. The whole process went fairly smooth once they got started. They have to comeback next week to switch over to the new pipe so I wont have gas flowing until tuesday. They have to change 8 houses over to the new plastic gas main.

The plumbers are coming in this morning to run the interior piping. They will run 1 1/4 metal pipe into the laundry/utility room and then terminate with a gas manifold. They are running a line for a new dryer and capping off the rest of the manifold. I had three plumbers out and the best price was 1800.00 for the plumbing, permits, air test. They are on the list with the gas company so they have keys to remove the lock on the meter to start service. I have 3/4 of a tank of oil, so I plan on having the boiler done next fall. Might as well burn up as much of the oil as I can.