Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc

Re: Stop the canadian ISP Gouging!

got the Shaw tariff notice yesterday.

its fugly too.

costs to us:

Existing 25meg - $22.45 (approved by CRTC)
New 20 meg - $42.59 (not approved by CRTC)
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by TSI Marc:

its fugly too.

costs to us:

Oh Wow this is turning into a night mare for canadians
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

1 edit

JMJimmy to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
$42.59 for 20mb? You've got to be freaking joking. Access costs are more than the $39.99 I pay now |(for 25mb) let alone CBB/profit/etc. They must be on crack.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

They're not on crack,they're trying to put TPIA out of business by pushing outrageous access rates to them.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

its fugly too.

costs to us:

Jeez, what kinda crack are they smoking?

Surely the CRTC has to see this for what it is, just a massive gouge.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Surely the CRTC has to see this for what it is, just a massive gouge.

CRTC doesn't have to see it any way at all.
If nobody files a complaint/process, then the CRTC will do nothing.

Here »Re: [Info] Another UBB Explanation for the common people I proposed a model some time ago (ignore the specific numbers for a moment) which basically gives an indumbent a fixed fee/month as 'rent' for the physical plant (poles/cables/switches/buildings/heat), a flat fixed rate for labour, and a number or two for speed/transfer.

I think the formula & reasoning I proposed is rational - let CNOC drop their own numbers into the formula and present it to the CRTC and see what happens
Laidback
join:2001-09-30
Cochrane, ON

Laidback to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

its fugly too.

costs to us:

How can they implement a rate not approved? Are these being passed on to all 3rd party consumers or did I miss something? I guess starbucks and tim's along with the library are about to be real busy.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by Laidback:

How can they implement a rate not approved?

They can't. However, it will probably get a rubber stamp as an interim tariff. They'll get to collect the stupid high price for 6-12 months, then the CRTC will set a formal/final price that will last for 3-6 months before the next speed changes come into effect, with new interim prices.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

its fugly too.

costs to us:

Marc,

You know how you guys are building new facilities in Chatam?

Do you think we can use some space there to start manufacturing

KY Lube - 2.0 made in Canada?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc

Premium Member

LOL. The floor is strong enough for it that I know for sure.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc

Premium Member

CNOC will be challenging the rates. Something seems wrong here for sure.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by TSI Marc :

CNOC will be challenging the rates. Something seems wrong here for sure.

Does a consumer from the West need to chime in too with a CRTC submission, like JF did? I know there were hard feelings, but he was a supposed neutral party in the eyes of the CRTC.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

From what Blais said in a speech late last year is that he sees everybody's input as informative. From there the commissioners have to try to make the best decisions possible.
tired
join:2010-12-12

tired to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
What's the new proposed rate for 25meg?
fmradio68
join:2013-07-05
Montreal, QC

fmradio68 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Are you doing something in Quebec too. Seems like Videotron does the same thing here.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to tired

Premium Member

to tired
Non I think.. It's getting pulled.

Looks like they want to make these changes in 30 days too.

This is actually a similar thing as we are seeing with Vidéotron. They pulled something similar, although not with such hubris cost wise; they submitted their tariff, CNOC and possibly others challenged, the CRTC has not yet approved the removal of the other speeds. So now we can still technically order the old speeds that Vidéotron doesn't even have on their site anymore as well as the new speeds. It's a bit of a mess in truth.

Shaw by contrast seems to think that they have the final say in this stuff... Old is old, new is new. Deal with it. But as far as I know they can't pull the old speeds and associated costs without the nod from the CRTC first.

So we'll have to see what happens. Looks like existing customers would be grandfathered if I got it right.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to fmradio68

Premium Member

to fmradio68
Looks like we posted at nearly the same time.
TSI Marc

1 edit

TSI Marc to fmradio68

Premium Member

to fmradio68
Are you asking if we're changing rates in QC? I'll likely post about it soon.
fmradio68
Montreal, QC

fmradio68

quote:
Are you asking if we're changing rates in QC? I'll likely post about it soon.
No, I was not asking about that but will check your udated rates if you post them.

I was referring to this
quote:
2031$ Vidéotron
1673$ Cogeco
1400$ Rogers
1036$ Bell
The rates that incumbents charge TPIAs. Videotron is a very frugal company so I find that $2031 very hard to believe. Looks like a very inflated price to stifle competition.

And the removal of those speeds by Videotron is another way for them to crush competition.

That is what I meant to say. If TSI and the CNOC are doing something about this or is it even possible. Or the CRTC doesn't analyze these numbers and just rubber stamps what Videotron proposes.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I posted a bit about it here:

»Looking To Move From Ebox - Tell Me What Tek Savy Is Like

In essence, it's a two part problem. The rules around how they set these rates need to be adjusted somewhat - This is what the wireline proceeding was about. The CRTC called it the "essential services" hearing I think. CNOC participated in a big way at the hearing and highlighted these and other issues.

Secondly, the rates need to be corrected. They're incorrectly set. For many reasons. In my opinion, they were never set right in the first place but going forward they just need to be corrected asap.

Both of those things take time and unless there is a way to fast track the wireline decision, the second part may need to be done twice.

If you assume that the wireline decision will take longer then you have to also assume that they will initiate a rate setting exercise soon. We have indications that they may be doing that. Cogeco for example was asked to answer more questions, mid-way into their CBB rate change (going from 1673 to something like 1450) - effectively halting what would otherwise have been a rate reduction. Without getting into the specifics, it appears that the CRTC is already looking into it more closely.

There may be a need to do more past that. I certainly feel as though there is no such thing as too much in this instance. It needs to be addressed in a big way and right away.
MrToady
join:2011-08-30
Medicine Hat, AB

MrToady to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

its fugly too.

costs to us:

It's funny that you bitch about them wanting you to pay $40+ for their 20 meg package, but you have no issues pricing it at $39.99 on your website when you only pay them $22.45 in the first place.

pot calling the kettle black?
amylase
join:2014-01-16
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

5 recommendations

amylase

I can try answer this one.

$22.45 you see is only for the Last-mile connection from your house to a Shaw interconnection point. It does not include any internet connectivity and you still have to pay incumbents separately a huge fee or lease/build your own fiber to get from that Shaw interconnection point to your location. And you need to build/lease fiber to many such interconnection points if you want to cover a large area. Finally, at your location, you need to maintain your routers/switches and equipment and purchase IP transit from here to global internet backbone. If you add up all the cost together, it is a challenge already to make any profit at all.

In summary, if you are assuming that you can buy @ $22.45 and sell @39.99 while booking $17.45 in profit, you are very very wrong.
fmradio68
Montreal, QC

fmradio68 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Thanks I read the link and appreciate the honesty concerning rate increases and even yuor suggestion of perhaps going the DSL route.

But Holy Crap Batman!! MTS is only $200 while Bell 1K and Videotron 2K!!

Was the rate change from Cogeco themselves? If so, they did that so the CRTC would not lower it even more. That is how I see it.
69230940 (banned)
join:2014-12-10

1 recommendation

69230940 (banned)

said by fmradio68:

Thanks I read the link and appreciate the honesty concerning rate increases and even yuor suggestion of perhaps going the DSL route.

But Holy Crap Batman!! MTS is only $200 while Bell 1K and Videotron 2K!!

Was the rate change from Cogeco themselves? If so, they did that so the CRTC would not lower it even more. That is how I see it.

What the CRTC should do is take the lowest submission and apply it evenly across all Incumbents.

Revolution99
@rdsnet.ro

1 recommendation

Revolution99

Anon

In Europe we pay $8 Canadian for 100MBPS
Or pay $15 for 1000MbpS

And wireless cell plan well unlimited internet unlimited calling to USA Canada Mexico and Europe for $6 can The speed is 24MBPs for first 5GB and capped after to 1MBPS

We need to wake oh and crush these telecoms and their massive profits check their earnings it's absurd

General Mayh
@teksavvy.com

General Mayh to MrToady

Anon

to MrToady
Companies are in business to earn money and make a profit. They aren't charities.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

2 recommendations

sbrook

Mod

The same thing could be said about money lenders, but that doesn't make usuary legal!

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement to MrToady

Anon

to MrToady
said by MrToady:

It's funny that you bitch about them wanting you to pay $40+ for their 20 meg package, but you have no issues pricing it at $39.99 on your website when you only pay them $22.45 in the first place.

Way to attack the guy when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom to MrToady

to MrToady
said by MrToady:

said by TSI Marc:

its fugly too.

costs to us:

u could setup ur own isp company to get the wholesale price

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by vincom:

u could setup ur own isp company to get the wholesale price

Maybe you oughta be reading the CRTC tariff papers and seeing the costs, plus laying your own network, transport, and peering costs as well... its a lot more expensive than you're envisioning theres more to running your 'wholesale network' than just the access fees.