All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Sandpepper
@75.110.64.x

Sandpepper

Anon

did Suddenlink just give me a free DOCSIS 3 modem?

Suddenlink technical support said that my DOCSIS 2 cable modem was too old to receive the higher speed upgrade. They said that I could either go to a local retailer and buy it or that I can buy one for $50 from the local Suddenlink office.

I went to the Suddenlink office, since I needed to pay my cable bill anyway. After paying my cable bill, I told the guy that tech support told me to get a new modem for the new speed upgrade. I had cash in hand, ready to pay the $50+tax modem. He went to the back and brought out a new modem and gave me a printout out to sign. The printout only showed the modem's make/model/serial# as well as my acct#, address, and today's date.

I was about to hand over my money when he said "Thank you! Have a great day" and waved over the next customer. Since it was 4:58pm and there were still a couple dozen other people in line, I left, not knowing what had just happened.

Did I get a free modem? Or will I just see the $50 on my next bill?

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

2 recommendations

moldypickle

Premium Member

More likely you'll see a modem rental fee show up on your bill. I'm not sure if you can call in and purchase the modem you have, may be something you have to go back to local for.
jmorison
join:2001-12-08
New Bern, NC

jmorison to Sandpepper

to Sandpepper
I don't know where you are located, but all modems here are free (New Bern, NC--eastern NC). I've never paid for one--initial, upgrade to DOCSIS2 telephone, now upgrade to 50 Meg DOCSIS3.

shelby10763
join:2005-03-12
Greenville, NC

shelby10763

According to their newest rate increase they charge $7.70 a month for the rental of a modem. But that being said, I've received equipment in the past and was never billed.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Sandpepper

Premium Member

to Sandpepper
If you have phone, they don't charge for that modem, but it sounds like you have two modems already.

Watch your bill for the new total and see if 7 something pops up.

The way the new billing smashes everything together might make it hard to catch.

If I hadnt just got a new 16x4 sb6183 I'd be using the nice 8x4 modem they brought me for phone.

People with older modems might get phone just for the use of a good modem, just make sure what equipment they bring you.
jmorison
join:2001-12-08
New Bern, NC

1 edit

jmorison

I'll watch the bill--their latest list of service charges does show a monthly $7+ fee for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, but never mentioned on the phone when I ordered, nor at the office when I picked it up. They usually are pretty good at telling you charges. I do have the telephony Arris, as well. Before I had telephone, there was no charge for the internet modem. Thanks for the caution. (Worth it at $7+, anyway.)

Update: Just called them, and since it was an upgrade from existing internet service, there is no monthly or initial fee for the DOCSIS3 modem they gave me. As I understand it, having cable, tel, and internet bundled makes the modems free.