Search similar:

uniqs
pokeefe0001
join:2014-10-31
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

pokeefe0001

[Equip] How to get an ASUS RT-N56U router to work with Comcast modem

I just today got Comcast HSI service. I requested just a modem because I have an ASUS RT-N56U router. I cannot get the router to talk with the modem. I'm sure the router is okay because it works fine with a couple DSL modems. I suspect it is a configuration problem, but I cannot find anything wrong. I set the WAN mode to "Automatic IP", but I'm not sure what else to change.

The router log says there is a failure with the ISP's DHCP.

The modem works fine. When my PC is connected to the modem all works fine (including my PC getting both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses).

The modem is a Ubee of some sort, but I don't see a model number.
Mr_A1
join:2004-04-14
Nashville, TN

Mr_A1

In order to get my ASUS RT-AC66 to initially work, I had to have it already turned on and running, hook it up to the modem, then restart the modem. If you have already done that and it still is not working, have you tried resetting the ASUS to defaults.
pokeefe0001
join:2014-10-31
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

pokeefe0001

I just got it working, but I have no idea how.

I had initially forgotten to change the IPv6 option from Tunnel 6rd to Native, so I did that, disconnected the router from the modem, powered it off and on (with a reasonable wait in between), powered off the modem, connected it to the router, and powered the modem back on. I even did a clone of my PC's MAC addr (to make Comcast think the PC and router are the same device, I guess). Still no go.

I then invoked the router's "Connection Discovery". It failed. But one of the options in the discovery was to specify the DNS servers. I didn't have those addrs so I disconnected the router from the modem and directly connected my PC to the modem. After copying down the DNS addrs I reinserted the router between the modem and PC. And it worked.

No powering off of anything in those last steps. No Connection Discovery. Nothing but taking the router out of the path from modem to PC and putting it back.

If anyone can make sense of this I'd sure like to hear the explanation, 'cause if I ever have to do this again I'd sure like to know what the magic step was.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to Mr_A1

to Mr_A1
Anytime you connect a new device to a modem you must power cycle the modem to pick up the new MAC address of that device. If you don't it will not work.

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA

mike34 to pokeefe0001

Premium Member

to pokeefe0001
The make and model of the modem would be helpful.
elsa
join:2015-01-07

elsa to pokeefe0001

to pokeefe0001
I HAD this router. POS all around. Even the russian pavalan third party firmware can't fix it.

If you want to stick with the official firmware, this was the only reliable one not to get WAN disconnect

DOWNGRADE your firmware to this one:

»202.221.139.247/pub/asus ··· 4342.zip

Addl benefits to this downgraded firmware is wireless signal strength boosted (this is a long story).