fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Weatherstripping

Click for full size
Click for full size
How do I prevent air from coming in that crack in the door without the door sticking? I get quite a draft from where you can see light coming through.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

Examine the doorframe and go to your hardware store and get appropriate weatherstripping that will fit. Not all will make it stick-that is why I say examine your door and where the leak is.

The expanded metal over the windows is a bit different.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

The leak is best seen in the bottom picture that is zoomed in.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

4 edits

1 recommendation

Grumpy4 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I believe you will need to accomplish this outdoors via

»knoji.com/images/user/We ··· 421.jpeg

The "trick" is to install so as to stop air flow, but not so tight that closing the door creates a challenge to get door to latch. Slightly and gently leaning against door from outside while installing weather strip, with vinyl or foam edge just touching door during fastening would be a good way to go. Pressing the sealing edge in very tight will create a hard to latch door. Been there...

To add an outdoor sweep that can come into contact with newly installed weather strip wouldn't hurt either. To take a photo or two of outside of door to hardware store could be helpful if you want to shop for a sweep that will complement weather strip shape.

I would avoid methods where stripping is installed between door stile and door frame as door is old, and space between two areas is likely inconsistent. Level and plumb may be infrequent visitors as well.

Not that you asked, [as if that ever stopped me before ] but if house has a door from inside first floor to cellar stairs, that's often a good candidate for weather strip and sweep too.

ps - pardon me for being a noodge, but, while you're at the hardware store, please consider picking up a knob style deadbolt instead of a key type. Very very dangerous situation when a key is required to exit any type of structure.
Just sayin'

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Agree with Grumpy4 See Profile your best bet is to apply weather strip from the outside. That way the door compresses against the flange/bulb as it closes.

Would not hurt applying metal spring flange to the inside of the casing and another form of weather striping. The spring metal strip is thin so it does will not interfere with closing the door. It is bent so when the door closes it pushes against the spring creating a seal. The down side it that during windy conditions the wind makes the weatherstrip vibrate so it sings.

The door is probably also leaking at the bottom, that is harder to seal because the door is sliding over the threshold. I've used "U" channel style sweep in the past that does a pretty good job but because it wraps around the door it may trap rain water running down the outside face.

Also agree about the deadbolt, don't want to be have to use a key in an emergency egress situation.

Good luck as I am writing this is is -6F here in NH

/tom

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 recommendations

Grumpy4

Premium Member

It's warmed to -4 here. I may go out in my thong and catch some rays
Geez - even I want mind bleach after that.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

Also agree about the deadbolt, don't want to be have to use a key in an emergency egress situation.

We actually went to a deadbolt with key due to the fact that someone could easily punch through the back window and turn the knob. We keep a key hanging on the wall out of arms length for that situation.