uniqs

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel

Premium Member

[Windows] Anyone using 2012R2 Data dedup with your file server

Has anyone implemented 2012's data deduplication on their file servers? I am looking at it as an option to add space to our file server vs increasing the volume size.

I know it will add overhead which it can handle, but I was looking for experiences with it in case it has been a train wreck for others. From what I have found with google, it has been a mixed bag of success.
rayik
join:2005-08-04
united state

4 edits

rayik

On host, volume with runing vms

on, host, vm backup storage

Fileserver guest, single 5.2TB vhdx set up as storage pool with dedup

Sorry about the mangled post, can't figure out correct way to embed images.

Yes, using 2012r2 dedup on a home server (RIP technet). Server 2012r2 running hyperv with guests including a vm file server. Very impressive space savings.

Weasel
Premium Member
Minnesota

Weasel

Premium Member

Some nice numbers. Any idea on the additional overhead it adds on the file server?

veunad
What Does This Do?
Premium Member
join:1999-08-06
Alpharetta, GA

veunad to Weasel

Premium Member

to Weasel
We have dedup turned on one of our file servers, here are the numbers from "Get-DedupVolume | format-list"

Volume : D:
Capacity : 5 TB
FreeSpace : 2.87 TB
UsedSpace : 2.13 TB
UnoptimizedSize : 5.07 TB
SavedSpace : 2.94 TB
SavingsRate : 57 %
MinimumFileAgeDays : 5

Volume : E:
Capacity : 3.73 TB
FreeSpace : 224.13 GB
UsedSpace : 3.51 TB
UnoptimizedSize : 5.65 TB
SavedSpace : 2.14 TB
SavingsRate : 37 %
MinimumFileAgeDays : 5

I cannot speak to the overhead. No issues, I am aware on this box.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater to Weasel

MVM

to Weasel

Using it on my home server.

M: Has "My Docs" from a few users, ISO's, App Installers and just a "hodgepodge" of different types of files.

N: Is 99% Video Files.

Weasel
Premium Member
Minnesota

Weasel

Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I may turn this on over the weekend to let it churn a bit and see what I save with it.
rayik
join:2005-08-04
united state

rayik to Weasel

to Weasel
Can't really comment about overhead on file server . It's at home with 4 concurrent users maximum.

If you do make a vm file server, ms recommends creating the storage pool on the host without dedup on that pool at the host level. Create a vhdx file (which can be whatever size you want including entire host pool size). Attach the vhdx to the vm guest file server. Within the vm, crete a storage pool consisting of the vhdx and enable dedup within the guest.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to Weasel

Premium Member

to Weasel
Yes on all our DFS servers. Never seen a reduction in performance. Just in case, I scheduled the dedup for Friday nights starting at 2100 hours.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Weasel

Premium Member

to Weasel
This is on my home file server (work's is still on 2008) but both would have about the same load on them (about 4-5 concurrent users max). As far as file size goes, 1.4 TB of 1.67 TB used is my TV and Movies collection. That's only 6323 files out of 218K files total on the volume though so it's the largest percentage out of one aspect but easily the smallest out of another aspect. Here's the thing though, video files are generally already compressed and so wouldn't see much savings from dedupe.

Here's what I'm seeing on my server:

And don't make the mistake I did when I was first testing out dedupe back in the beta/RC and think THIS is correct LOL:

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

1 edit

Napsterbater

MVM

nvm
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Correct, but my point was that since they have already had some data removed, the potential savings aren't as great as they could be with raw uncompressed video.

Weasel
Premium Member
Minnesota

Weasel

Premium Member

Well it is running right now. Kicked in some process around 2:00 AM this morning and has been working since looking at logs. So far saved ~450GB, but from what I can see it hasn't processed the entire volume yet.