RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to RickNY

to RickNY

Re: [iO] NDS CableCard Updates?

said by RickNY:

said by obeythelaw:

Well, in the Bayonne/Hudson area, all they had were the NDS cards. I picked one up anyway hoping to get the new updated firmware. I activated the card yesterday and so far I haven't had any issues. How do I check which firmware I have?

The regular DVR Diagnostics will show the version on one of the pages near the end.. But as I indicated, I do not think they are pushing it out systemwide - only to specific users (i.e. Cablevision employees, customers that filed FCC complaints, etc)

How hard is it for them to update the code on the cards BEFORE they hand them out since the ones in stock are downlevel? That would bypass the need for the customer to need to wait for the push.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

said by RARPSL:

How hard is it for them to update the code on the cards BEFORE they hand them out

They get updated when they are connected to the cable system. The cable cards just sit on a shelf in the walk in centers. How would they keep them updated constantly? I imagine they've probably got at least 20 cards in the back at all times, probably more. As it is the cards aren't even fully authorized until you put it into the customer provided equipment, and call the authorization number.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY

Premium Member

Someone in the tivocommunity forum indicated that their card received the update and he/she had not contacted CV or filed a complaint -- so they may be starting to roll it out.. Not sure what system they said they were on.
nydennis30
join:2003-08-11
Port Jefferson Station, NY

nydennis30 to RickNY

to RickNY
If they have such problems with this type of card you would think they would switch over to the cards that work and call it a day.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The cards that can be used are based on the corresponding equipment in the head-end, which can't be changed ($$$).

CV also doesn't have to use CableCARDs in their set top boxes like all other cable providers, so there's basically zero incentive for them to resolve this problem with any urgency. If CV was deploying their own 6-tuner DVR that used CableCARD for conditional access, you can bet this would've been fixed long ago.