All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

lazz
@98.113.97.x

lazz

Anon

[Networking] Youtube fix for MI424 router - does this still apply?

Hi all,

Back about 1 or 2 years ago, there was a thread going around that stated that some adjustments to your Actiontec Router could improve Youtube speed. (See link below):

»How-to: Reddit YouTube firewall rule with MI424wr

Does anyone know if this still applies? Will something like this help with Youtube viewing, especially if it seems slow?

Thanks.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00

This was when Verizon was letting their YouTube peering go to pot to coerce Google into paying them money to send data to Verizon customers.

Since that time it appears that Google is paying Verizon so you can watch the YouTube video you requested without incident.

So it's no longer relevant because it looks like Google is paying Verizon so you can use the Internet connection you're already paying for.

Of course it can happen again in the future.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Just curious, but on what do you base your assertion that Google is paying Verizon?

TheMole
join:2001-12-06
USA

TheMole to nothing00

to nothing00
Hmm, Youtube is still slow for me. I had never known there was any resolution to this.

Should it be normal for me? I'm on Fios in NJ.

When I connect to a VPN, Youtube is fine.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to PJL

to PJL
said by PJL:

Just curious, but on what do you base your assertion that Google is paying Verizon?

»arstechnica.com/informat ··· e-video/

Articles like this, comments that suggest that Google, Microsoft and other companies with large usage are already paying providers, etc.

And to me, most importantly, visually watching the degradation in service, companies like Google not addressing the issue and cause even when it's painfully obvious (quiet due to secret negotiations), followed by a sudden and dramatic improvement in service that looks just like Netflix did.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Interesting. This 18-month old article is a summary of the "there are two sides to every argument" but I don't see where you can infer the companies are "already paying providers" from the article. I was thinking I had missed some sort of public announcement or other hard evidence of your assertion. An positive effect (improved streaming) can have a number of causes, one of which is something like what happened with Netflix and Verizon over the past nine months (or so), which of course was announced. I was looking for that type of specific data for the companies you mention. Thanks.

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

norm to lazz

to lazz
If Google's not paying Verizon, then Google managed to do what Netflix couldn't - get cache servers on their network for free. Verizon has a number of Google Global Cache servers on their network.

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|    L100.PITBPA-VFTTP-33.verizon-gni.net -    0 |   34 |   34 |    2 |    4 |   25 |    5 |
|  G0-4-1-3.PITBPA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net -    0 |   34 |   34 |    3 |    7 |   20 |    7 |
|xe-11-1-2-0.PHIL-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net -    0 |   34 |   34 |   10 |   28 |   80 |   14 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |    6 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|               0.ae6.GW12.PHL6.ALTER.NET -    0 |   34 |   34 |   10 |   11 |   28 |   12 |
|            google-gw.customer.alter.net -    0 |   34 |   34 |   10 |   12 |   22 |   10 |
|141.32.199.65.philadelphia.google-ggc.verizon.com -    0 |   34 |   34 |   10 |   11 |   14 |   14 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

KGB7
join:2003-12-17
Rockville, MD

KGB7 to lazz

to lazz
Those steps did solve my issue few weeks ago and continue to work flawlessly even during busiest time of the day.

So yeah, its still apply.