spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kaliper
join:2014-12-23
Arlington, VA

kaliper

FiOS e-Mail Authentication Problem

As a new FiOS user, I can not get the e-mail feature to function. My e-mail client is Mozilla's Seamonkey (essentially identical to Mozilla's Thunderbird). I have set up the e-mail per Verizon's instructions (incoming port 995, outgoing port 465, SSL enabled both in and out, etc.). No matter what I do, I can't sign in and the error message indicates an authentication failure. Verizon's web site is all but useless in this regard as it is never clear whether its password instructions refer to the e-mail function alone or to the 'My Verizon' log-in function. Has anyone faced a similar problem and does anyone have any suggestion(s) on how to get the FiOS e-mail feature to function? Thanks, in advance, for any and all ideas, solutions, etc.

Drunkula
Premium Member
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX

Drunkula

Premium Member

I don't think I can help. I haven't used Thunderbird in ages and never used Seamonkey. I have successfully setup both Outlook 2007 and the email client on my Android phone, though, using their instructions.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

1 edit

Lt Belspur to kaliper

to kaliper
Try incoming port 993 SSL
Try outgoing port 465 SSL

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ

Pureblood to kaliper

Premium Member

to kaliper
Make sure you are dropping the @verzion.net from the username.That field should be the username by itself. if your email address is xxx@verizon.net your username is xxx. I'm also an Outlook user.

fxtr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-15
Reston, VA

fxtr to kaliper

Premium Member

to kaliper
I checked my Outlook setting for Verizon and the incoming server is POP3 port 995 and requires SSL, the outgoing server is SMTP port 465 and use the same settings as incoming is checked.. Also use SSL encryption is checked.
floridafuzz
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI

floridafuzz to kaliper

Premium Member

to kaliper
I had trouble setting up Thunderbird in the past but now it is working perfectly. Here are some settings to verify on your email setup:
Server settings:
Server Type: POP Mail Server
Server Name: pop.verizon.net Port: 995 Default 995
User Name: just your name(leave off @verizon.net)

Security Settings
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: Normal Password

Outgoing Server(SMTP) Settings

Verizon Online-smtp.verizon.net(Default)

Description: Verizon Online
Server Name: smtp.verizon.net
Port: 465
User name: just your name(leave off @verizon.net)
Authentication method: Normal password
Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Hope this helps-
kaliper
Arlington, VA

kaliper

floridafuzz (and others) --
Thanks so much for the suggestions.
When I initially set up the e-mail account, I did make the error of using all of my e-mail address (i.e., I included the '@verizon.net' portion). I am now set up exactly as floridafuzz suggests and the problem remains as originally described.
As there is always the possibility that there is an error with the password in Verizon's files, does anyone know if there is a way to determine what actual password is in Verizon's files?
Is there any other thing to look into to track this problem down?
Thanks, in advance, for any and all comments and suggestions.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

Are you able to login to »webmail.verizon.com/ ? If not then you want to start there and straighten out your password. You can use the 'Forgot UserID or Password' link to help resolve issues if needed. These would be the same userid and password that you would use with Seamonkey.

I use the same settings noted by floridafuzz See Profile as well, which match the details documented by Verizon. I use these with multiple different mail apps on multiple platforms, though I have not tried with Seamonkey or Thunderbird.
floridafuzz
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI

floridafuzz to kaliper

Premium Member

to kaliper
Are you using the same password that you used when they originally set up your Fios account? I think its the same password that you would log in with when you want to change the settings on your actiontec router. the one you use to log into 192.8.1.1 if memory serves me correctly.
kaliper
Arlington, VA

kaliper to Shady Bimmer

to Shady Bimmer
Shady Bimmer --
I hadn't thought of trying the route. Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I can log into web mail with what I thought was my correct password without difficulty.
kaliper

kaliper to floridafuzz

to floridafuzz
floridafuzz (2) --
Yes, I am using the same name and PW as when I set up my 'My Verizon' account and when I set up the FiOS account. I'm baffled.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to kaliper

to kaliper
I am not sure if this is applicable to your situation but, when V*changed their protocols, about a year ago, they buggered up CRAM-MD5 password authentication. V* is SUPPOSED to support it but it does not in actuality. Some email clients (Eudora for one) default to CRAM-MD5 password authentication, as their first choice, when connecting to an SMTP server. V's response to that screws up the login as Eudora looks no further. This only showed up when sending, you could login and receive.

Seamonkey MAY have the same issue. I do not know how to get around it in Seamonkey but there was a fix for Eudora to disable CRAM-MD5 in its config file, and it worked.

So far as I know, this is NOT an issue with T'bird.

sludgemaster
Premium Member
join:2005-12-06
Bronx, NY

sludgemaster to kaliper

Premium Member

to kaliper
If you are using a VPN or Proxy, Verizon blocks the ip addresses of many VPN providers. Try connecting without VPN or your proxy.