fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

1 edit

fartness (banned)

[Appliances] oven problem

Click for full size
I have a Whirlpool unit I bought new from Lowes 4.5 years ago when I moved in. Past 5 meals I baked are still cold. The times I use have always been spot on since I often eat the same things. Just started this week. What could be broken?

If something says bake 30 to 40 minutes, the 40 minute time was always spot on. Now it needs 60 or more minutes.

Attached is a picture of the unit. I think it was around $450. I don't see a model number. Runs on NG.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683

[Appliances] Re: oven problem

Is the thing you're cooking frozen? How fast does the unit get up to temp? Do you have an oven thermometer to check the temp?

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
You really need to put a thermometer in there for about 3 common temperatures.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to NS4683

to NS4683
Yes, mostly, but not always. Gets up to temp same speed as before. No thermometer.
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness

Re: [Appliances] oven problem

You need to get a cheap oven thermometer to hang on the shelf inside when it is baking. Find one in the utensils section at the grocery or in any kitchen supply store. I'm thinking that there is something out of whack with the temperature sensor (thermocouple) of the oven. The sensor is reporting to the controller that the oven is hot and the gas shuts off, when actually it is not yet as hot as the sensor is reporting. The temperature numbers showing on oven controller are what the sensor is reporting, so you may think it is reaching the same temperature that it used to, but it really isn't. the The only way to determine if the sensor is off is to put a separate manual thermometer in there and get the true temperature. If there is a huge difference between the number on the oven controller and the actual temperature measured with the separate thermometer, you'll need to repair the oven - which could mean a simple adjustment, or perhaps a new thermocouple or a new controller. But first, get the separate thermometer to document actual temperatures.

Davy49
join:2007-04-10
Brandon, MS

Davy49

Hi fartness,
Did you purchase a Extended Protection Plan for this product, if so..sometimes they do in fact pay for themselves.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to dick white

to dick white
I'll pick one up tomorrow. Should it be 100 percent exact if it's inside an oven that works properly?
fartness

fartness (banned) to Davy49

to Davy49
said by Davy49:

Hi fartness,
Did you purchase a Extended Protection Plan for this product, if so..sometimes they do in fact pay for themselves.

Nope. Never purchase those. Not sure what the standard warranty would be for this.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
A thermometer should be fairly accurate, they vary in quality.

As I'm sure you know every oven is different that's why cooking times vary.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to fartness

Mod

to fartness
I'm going to guess that you have a bad ignitor. A gas oven has the burners lighting and going out a lot to keep temp. Once yours gets hot it doesn't reignite dependably. They are pretty easy to replace if you want to do it yourself. It's an electrical part and you don't have to mess with the gas line.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

I'll pick one up tomorrow. Should it be 100 percent exact if it's inside an oven that works properly?

The cheap thermometers are not that accurate. I'd say as long as it's within 10% or so you're good.

To check robbin's suggestion, keep it in there for 30 min or so. If it heats up fine but then starts cooling down then he's probably right.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to fartness

MVM

to fartness
said by fartness:

Ovens are rarely, if ever, exact on the temp. Should be able to adjust it though - I think. The back will also be a bit warmer than the front as well.
modelamac7
join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

modelamac7 to fartness

to fartness
Replace the oven igniter. They are resistance units, and the resistance changes over time gradually, becoming higher and higher. Eventually the oven won't light, What you are seeing is a long time to re-ignite after the thermostat calls for heat each time. That extends the required cook time, hence your symptoms.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Where would I buy a new igniter?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Post the model number of your range

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by robbin:

Pull it out from the wall and look on the back or another common place for the sticker is on the front 'frame' when you pull the bottom warmer/drawer out.

Yes, robbin, I know I'm quoting your post
Hall

Hall to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Ovens are rarely, if ever, exact on the temp. Should be able to adjust it though - I think. The back will also be a bit warmer than the front as well.

Yeap, we had an oven at one time that had definite hot or cold spots. I don't think there's anything that could be done to fix this either - you just live with it (or replace the unit).

Put the thermometer in a few different places.... If they're all fairly consistent but off, big deal. If the food says cook at 375, based on the measurements, maybe you have to remember to set it 10 degrees higher (or lower, etc).

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

Yep - if you want to find those spots - take white bread and place the slices on the rack. Put the rack 6 inches or so from the element and then put the oven on broil. The color will tell you the hot/cold spots. Works with toaster ovens as well.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
If he pulls it out from the wall he will need to install a new gas line just saying.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683

said by chip89:

If he pulls it out from the wall he will need to install a new gas line just saying.

Why would the gas line need to be replaced?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

Whirlpool w10198615b
»www.whirlpool.com/-[WFG5 ··· 510S0AB/

Wally was out of oven thermometers. I'll stop by another one in the next few days.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to chip89

MVM

to chip89
said by chip89:

Ummmmm - no.
suggy2004
join:2004-01-07
Conshohocken, PA

suggy2004 to fartness

to fartness
I just just did this with ours, ours has 2 screws on the back of the oven nob to adjust.

Set the oven to 300 degree's with the thermometer & see how far it is from the actual temp of the thermometer.

the follow the below way to adjust temp:

Page 7 from the manual

To Adjust Oven Temperature:
1. Press and hold BAKE for 5 seconds until the oven display
shows the current setting, for example “0°F CAL” or “00.”
2. Press the Temp/Time “up” or “down” arrow pads to increase or
to decrease the temperature in 10°F (5°C or 6°C) amounts. The
adjustment can be set between 30°F (17°C) and -30°F (-17°C).
3. Press START.