spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CG
@rogers.com

CG

Anon

[Modem/Router] CGN3 router

Hi recently switched to the hybrid 60/10 internet package and received the Hitron CGN 3 modem/router as part of the package. My understanding is that I have a choice of connecting to the internet through the 2.4 or 5 ghz network. When I check my connection is only shows "Rogers 58677". I don't have the option to connect with Roger 58677-5G.

Is this normal or should I have this option?

Thanks
king_2015
join:2010-09-15
King City, ON

king_2015

I believe that your wireless card only supports 2.4 ghz or otherwise you would be able to pick up both. The CGN 3 broadcasts both 2.4 and 5 ghz at the same time.

CG
@rogers.com

CG

Anon

Thanks for the reply.

I have a USB wireless adapter which supports both but I am wired to my PC through ethernet cable. Are you saying my motherboard may not support 5 ghz?
king_2015
join:2010-09-15
King City, ON

king_2015

How would your motherboard support wireless, are you using a desktop pc? Usually laptops or wireless devices support built in wireless. If your usb adapter supports both then you should have no issues picking up both 2.4 and 5 ghz frequencies. If your wired then why are you worried about wireless?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

2 edits

mozerd to CG

MVM

to CG
said by CG :

Are you saying my motherboard may not support 5 ghz?

its not the motherboard.

First you will need to disconnect your Ethernet Cable from you computer. Your USB wireless adapter should be in the USB slot and you should be able to under Windows see the wireless bars which you can click to see available wireless networks.

All you have to do is View Available wireless Networks and you should be able to see your 5G wireless --- now select it and connect --- it will ask you for the pass-phrase which you will need to type in and then within 30 seconds you should be connected to 5G.

If you cannot see the 5G wireless its because the CGN3 is not properly configured to broadcast the correct channel your USB adapter is capable of receiving.

CG
@rogers.com

CG

Anon

Thanks guys

I was able to connect wirelessly to the 5G network all along using the USB wireless adapter. That's not the issue. Using the USB adapter I was able to see my own wireless SSIDs (2.4 ghz and 5hz) PLUS "Roger 58677 + Rogers 58677-5G" as available networks. Once I removed the USB wireless adapter and wired the CGN3 to my desktop PC using the ethernet cable it connected me only Roger 58677.
I know I can remove the ethernet cable, reconnect the USB adapter and connect to 5ghz end of story. I was just wondering why I wasn't seeing Roger 58677-5G when wired to the desktop PC.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

4 edits

mozerd

MVM

Wired can only communicate with wired transmissions due to the protocols used .... Wireless can only communicate with wireless transmissions due to the protocols used.

When a person [computer] connected to a wireless network called a LAN wants to be able to see other persons [computers] on a wired network on the same LAN as part of a workgroup -- that is called resource sharing that require special configurations to have been enabled by the Operating System. Those special configurations and protocols are managed by the Device operating systems like Microsoft Windows or Apple OS X. Or Linux
lethalsniper
join:2010-10-01
North York, ON

lethalsniper

I can't find the QOS on the CGN3 , how does the port forwarding work on this gateway
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

There is no menu to adjust any wired QOS settings. Wifi Multimedia QOS is always on. You can't change any setting such as the QOS priority, as you can with a third party router. Port forwarding is on page 55 of the user manual. The link to the manual is below.

»www.midcocomm.com/conten ··· uide.pdf
lethalsniper
North York, ON

lethalsniper

So if Qos is only avail on wireless and no way to disable it I guess who ever is playing online on wirless will get more bandwith then Somone wired
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

1 edit

Datalink

Premium Member

QOS applies equally to wired data, in fact its an issue of what takes priority in terms of data into and out of the WAN side of the modem or router. A normal router will allow you to go into the QOS settings to change them, if you want to. The CGN3, for some reason doesn't have any user settings at all. Only solution, if you want to do that is Bridge it, and use a third party router.

Here is a quick overview of the priorities that will exist within the CGN3. The only thing that I'm not sure of is where gaming data fits into the categories:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IE ··· _P802.1p
lethalsniper
North York, ON

lethalsniper

Yea don't see anything regarding QOS on wan settings only wifi don't see how it would also work on wan.