spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LBL
join:2013-08-17
Panama City, FL

LBL

New iPad can NOT set up email w/Outlook

I am SO TIRED of this. I have checked every setting I know and Googled this to death. Since the switch from Knology to WOW! it is still messed up. Anyway, I bought an iPad and I can not set up my Outlook email account. Don't tell me I don't want an Outlook account. I have one set up on my iPhone but I just realized the other day that it is not sending emails. It receives fine - it just doesn't SEND them. It used to work. I contacted WOW! and they said to use the default settings which are posted everywhere (even here) - the problem is - it does not work for me. I've tried it with the "just the name" in the USERNAME box and the default what I use for the USERNAME which is my email address for the USERNAME and both are rejected.

I have managed to get it to accept some setting or other but it will still not SEND. I can't even remember what setting it was that it accepted.

It used to be that I had one setting for pop3.mail.wowway.com and then the other one read knology or something like that. I remember thinking that was odd but it worked. And now I can't find that setting.

Does this work for anyone??
pop3.mail.wowway.com
smtp.mail.wowway.com
- Incoming server (POP3) 110
- Outgoing server (SMTP) 25
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

According to this:
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ok/to-go
if you pick hotmail as the type to set up, the ipad should know how to do it. You shouldn't need to send through wow servers - but you need to use the encrypted ports instead of 25.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to LBL

MVM

to LBL
Assuming this is an "@outlook.com" email account. Did W.O.W. change something that only allows their "From:" email domain? Different ISPs have different rules.

When using a third party ESP, I generally configure the ESP SMTP servers, not my ISP.
LBL
Panama City, FL

LBL

No. My email is @wowway.net even though I am using Outlook. I am having trouble Googling the correct information since iPad has HAS an Outlook account which is of no use at all. You have to be using an Exchange account or something - which I don't use.

When I used Comcast it was just so easy because they had a Forum AND a instant chat that could solve these problems. WOW! is just so far off the mark because they offer...nothing. No forum, no chat. I emailed their help page for iPad instructions and that is what I got. And it didn't work. I am hearing impaired so for me to call them up on the phone is impossible. An online chat works great for me, like Comcast had.

Even WOW! billing pages leaves something to be desired. I'd be ashamed to call myself WOW! if I were them. No Facebook page or anything. I know why now. It's just like...WOW!

You can go on the Comcast user forum and actually find out the iPad and iPhone settings. Do they work with Knology/WOW! No.

If I wanted to see what I am actually billed for or wanted to add or delete services from my WOW! account - you can't do that online. You just get some meh page that you can change your online password and that's about ALL you can do. I'm like - what year is this?? Is this the best you can do?? I guess it is because that's what I am looking at. I hate dealing with WOW! customer service. And now...THIS.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by LBL:

No. My email is @wowway.net even though I am using Outlook.

Pardon my confusion. I am somewhat technically inclined, and make a distinction between email clients (Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, or MS Outlook) and email services (AOL, Gmail, or Outlook.com). I forget that many people think of the client as the service.

So you aren't talking about the service (Outlook.com; which can be accessed by any IMAP/SMTP capable client) when you speak of an "Outlook account". Rather, you are trying to configure a client (MS Outlook on an IPAD) to access a WOWway email account.

I went to the WOW site, to this page:

»www.wowway.com/help-supp ··· qs/south

They state the following:
quote:
The Outgoing Mail Server requires authentication (use same settings as incoming mail should be selected is "Yes").
Your username is your full email address. Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Secure Password Authentication (SPA) is "No".
The Account Password is the password you selected when you created your email address.
Incoming Mail Port for POP is 110.
Incoming Mail Port for IMAP is 143.
The Outgoing Mail Port (both POP and IMAP) is 25.

I also found a web site which says to use port 587. So I tried opening a TCP connection to the server. What I found for port 25:
C:\utils\dig>telnet smtp.mail.wowway.com 25
Connecting To smtp.mail.wowway.com...

220 2.0.0 smtp.mail.wowway.com ESMTP ecelerity 3.6.1.42806 r(Platform:3.6.1.1) 
Sun, 11 Jan 2015 00:55:20 -0500
quit
221 2.3.0 smtp01.wow.cmh.synacor.com closing connection

Connection to host lost.

What I found for port 465:
C:\utils\dig>telnet smtp.mail.wowway.com 465
Connecting To smtp.mail.wowway.com...Could not open connection to the host, on
port 465: Connect failed

What I found for port 587:
C:\utils\dig>telnet smtp.mail.wowway.com 587
Connecting To smtp.mail.wowway.com...

220 2.0.0 smtp.mail.wowway.com ESMTP ecelerity 3.6.1.42806 r(Platform:3.6.1.1)
Sun, 11 Jan 2015 00:56:47 -0500
quit
221 2.3.0 smtp01.wow.cmh.synacor.com closing connection

Connection to host lost.

From which I deduce that you can use either port 25, or port 587, but not port 465 (the three more, or less, "official" Message Submission ports).

All of which tells me you must use your full email address as the Username. You must not use SSL authentication. You must not use "SPA". The last is an option usually used by the MS Outlook client for accessing MS Exchange servers. The banner for the WOWway SMTP server indicates that it is not an MS Exchange server, so do not use SPA.

If you try port 587, they may, or may not require TLS. But I got a banner, which I never get when servers expect SSL (Telnet doesn't have SSL capability), so do not use SSL with port 587.

I do not have MS Outlook, but I think the Windows Live Mail settings should be similar:

Setting up MS Outlook.

Pay attention that you leave "SPA" unchecked.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm to LBL

to LBL
That's because WOW's decision makers have the technical acumen of a brick and went with the complete morons at Synacor and then flipped to Zimbra. I've been running email systems for more than 2 decades, including one handling more than 8 times as many accounts as WOW has total.

Anyway, these complete and utter fuckwits decided IMAP was "too hard" and finally caught up to the 21st century in disabling unencrypted POP3 and unauthenticated SMTP.

Of course, their solution to this was not to do anything halfway intelligent like IMAP with TLS or POP3 with TLS or even authentication of SMTP/SUBMISSION. No. It was to saddle customers with a crap web-only setup that also plastered intrusive ads everywhere.

Which is probably just as well, since they're exclusively running a TERRIFYINGLY out of date version of Momentum. And when I say that what I mean is "they literally have not applied a single security patch or updated their configuration IN SEVERAL YEARS." Gods only know what security holes there are, since OmniTI was always rabid about preventing disclosure of security problems.

Anyway, pop3.mail.wowway.com is still present, still what the documentation says, and points to a Synacor box that of course, does not have POP3. Same for smtp.mail.wowway.com. Which is of course the exact same box. And they couldn't give enough of a shit to update their documentation.

You should be able to connect with POP3 @ 995 (POP3S) and Authenticated SMTP @ 25. No idea if their certificate is any good though.

But given that they pull an Adelphia with EVERY upgrade (a story for another time), gods only know how long any of that information will work for and whether or not you'll even still have a working email address post-upgrade.
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell to LBL

to LBL
said by LBL:

My email is @wowway.net even though I am using Outlook.

I'm missing something here if this ever worked. I thought that that outlook on the ipad was tied to an office 365 account and Microsoft service. In any case, I'd recommend getting a free gmail/yahoo/hotmail account instead of using an ISP address which will make your future ISP switch much easier, and using the native IOS mail or the specific app if there is one. Gmail is the way to go if you had an android phone, but it's not bad on ios either and you can learn to like their web interface.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to LBL

MVM

to LBL
said by LBL:

You have to be using an Exchange account or something - which I don't use.

MS Exchange is just a mail server. If your email service uses Exchange, then you have an account. But from further poking around, based on topic replies from RootWyrm See Profile and lesmikesell See Profile, WOWway email uses a Unix-based server called, Moment (the banner announces ecelerity 3.6.1.42806), and the IPAD app is a version of OWA (Outlook Web App).

The short answer appears to that you can't easily access WOWway email with your IPAD Outlook app.

I found these sites, but I don't have an IPAD, so I can't test the procedures:

»www.tcgeeks.com/syncing- ··· r-email/

»yourbusiness.azcentral.c ··· 889.html

All I can offer is try them. And if they don't work, you likely are just not going to be able to access your WOWway email from your IPAD.

RootWyrm

RootWyrm to lesmikesell

to lesmikesell
said by lesmikesell:

I'm missing something here if this ever worked. I thought that that outlook on the ipad was tied to an office 365 account and Microsoft service. In any case, I'd recommend getting a free gmail/yahoo/hotmail account instead of using an ISP address which will make your future ISP switch much easier, and using the native IOS mail or the specific app if there is one. Gmail is the way to go if you had an android phone, but it's not bad on ios either and you can learn to like their web interface.

Uh, you're missing a lot actually.

Outlook is just an MUA - Mail User Agent. It can speak pretty much any standard mail protocol, but also adds Exchange specific protocols. So it can talk to just about anything out there with very few exceptions. Because it's "idiot-friendly" it's generally recommended, though it's obviously far less so these days. (Used to be able to go "oh, SMTP now needs authentication? I'll make that change automagically" as an example.)
LBL
Panama City, FL

LBL

I am still trying servers - sigh. You can add as many servers as you like and it will try them all. None of them have worked yet.

I also have Gmail and do use that daily. I just maintain 2 separate accounts for reasons of my own.

Comcast and I'm sure WOW! will be the same way - they hate anyone using anything other than their web based email client. They just think it's utterly ridiculous to use anything else. I prefer to maintain control of my own emails and take them with me when I go. That and my contacts database.

Maybe I'll just go down to the WOW! office and take my iPad. Surely there is someone there that can show me what works for them.

RootWyrm

RootWyrm

said by LBL:

I am still trying servers - sigh. You can add as many servers as you like and it will try them all. None of them have worked yet.

I found the reason why your iPad won't connect, and probably never will connect. WOW's Unix administrators are apparently even more incompetent than I thought. IMAP will work with STARTTLS against mail.wowway.com, but will then get rejected by any sane client because the idiots have mail.wowway.com configured to present only the pop3.mail.wowway.com certificate.

Yep. Incompetence rules the day again. Supposedly don't support it, but actually do, except it doesn't work because they can't handle the most basic configuration step.
LBL
Panama City, FL

LBL

I can connect and RECEIVE mail. I just can't send. Or rather, I used to be able to. So I don't know if it's due to an Apple update that screwed up my configuration (my iPhone and/or iPad) or if it's the fault of WOW! Maybe it's when I had Comcast that I could send mail on my iPhone. I don't use that a lot.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to LBL

MVM

to LBL
said by LBL:

Comcast and I'm sure WOW! will be the same way - they hate anyone using anything other than their web based email client.

WRT Comcast, that is not true. What is true is that Comcast support will not offer assistance for stand alone MUAs (Mail User Agents); too many makers and versions for practical CSR training. Consider: Microsoft has four basic MUAs; MS Outlook, MS Outlook Express (the two are very different!), Windows Mail (Vista only), and Windows Live Mail. All four have varying revisions, depending on how diligent users are about updates. Then there are the Mozilla clients (Thunderbird and SeaMonkey). And two versions of Opera. My all time favorite, Pegasus Mail. Eudora. And a score more; a CSR training nightmare.

Part of the issue is conceptualizing the components. For doctors, lawyers, bakers, and candlestick makers, the visualization of severs, clients, services, and accounts gets mushed together. Not everybody, regardless of how smart they are, has the patience, or inclination, to make the distinction between a client (Mozilla Thunderbird) and a service (Google Mail). And Microsoft further muddies the waters by careless branding (Outlook is a client, but "outlook.com" is a service).

So ISPs, to simplify support, prefer to push the use of Webmail. No end user configuration is required to access email via a web browser.

RootWyrm

RootWyrm to LBL

to LBL
said by LBL:

I can connect and RECEIVE mail. I just can't send. Or rather, I used to be able to. So I don't know if it's due to an Apple update that screwed up my configuration (my iPhone and/or iPad) or if it's the fault of WOW! Maybe it's when I had Comcast that I could send mail on my iPhone. I don't use that a lot.

Yep.. if you point receive at pop3.mail.wowway.com it will work because that's the certificate presented. Even though you should only be talking IMAP. I'd presume SMTP is basically completely broken thanks to their incompetent configuration. It's definitely presenting the wrong damn certificate. You can try setting the SMTP host to pop3.mail.wowway.com since it's the exact same damn box anyway, that might fix it.

Believe me, it's not a limitation. Just WOW proving their inability to handle the most basic of configuration tasks. The irony of course is that simply using a certificate for 'mail.wowway.com' and pointing everything to that? Would fix it in five minutes.
LBL
Panama City, FL

1 edit

LBL

OMG OMG!!! It just worked! I'm not sure which setting it is though

I have two.

There is NO SSL under SMTP. That has to be turned OFF.

The password DOES have to be entered though.

I am using Port 587

smtp.wowway.net

smtp.knology.net

I have 2 smtp servers set up. I guess I could just delete one and find out which one it is but who cares? Happy Dance!!!

Everyone everywhere said the SSL has to be turned on...but this guy >

»www.networksolutions.com ··· uctions/

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by LBL:

Everyone everywhere said the SSL has to be turned on.

I point out that I specifically said not to use SSL on port 587. And the WOWway FAQ I quoted specifically said not to use SSL with port 25.

While TLS (STARTTLS) is an option with port 587, the service operator makes that choice. The user has no choice; either it is on, or off.

SSL and TLS, while related (one is a subset of the other), they are not, usually (if ever), interchangeable.
LBL
Panama City, FL

LBL

Sorry. I was just going by what I had read and by what my own Outlook settings look like.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

But your ports, and security, are set on the "Advanced" tab:

Port and security selection.

My example is for an AT&T-Yahoo! account; the ports and security are different from what works for you.

RootWyrm

RootWyrm to LBL

to LBL
said by LBL:

There is NO SSL under SMTP. That has to be turned OFF.

... wow, this just gets more and more hilarious from a technical standpoint.
said by LBL:

I am using Port 587
smtp.wowway.net

$ host smtp.wowway.com
smtp.wowway.com has address 64.233.207.12
$ host smtp.wowway.net
smtp.wowway.net is an alias for mail.wowwaynet.syn-alias.com.
mail.wowwaynet.syn-alias.com has address 64.8.71.112
$ host -t mx.wowway.com
wowway.com mail is handled by 10 mx.wowway.com.

Wow, I just... amazing how incompetent this setup is start to finish. Catastrophic single points of failure everywhere, absolutely no backup MX for the entire domain, idiotic configuration in the extreme. smtp.wowway.net != smtp.wowway.com != smtp.knology.com != smtp.knology.net - and none of them are actual MXes! So when mx.wowway.com goes down better hope it comes back quick. Amateur hour would be a huge leap forward.

Oh. And authentication over SUBMISSION (that's port 587) without SSL or STARTTLS (I presume they're equivalent in Apple-land) means your password and message is being sent over the wire in plaintext for anyone to read. So if you're going to ever be on anyone else's network, I would seriously reconsider using it at all.
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell to RootWyrm

to RootWyrm
said by RootWyrm:

Outlook is just an MUA - Mail User Agent. It can speak pretty much any standard mail protocol,

That's true on a PC, but I thought the ipad version was a special case just for MS servers. You've got the stock apple mail for other servers anyway.
LBL
Panama City, FL

2 edits

LBL to RootWyrm

to RootWyrm
Yes - I see what you are saying. That's why I use Gmail for a lot of my "other" email things as backup. I've done the best I can with a Router that has strong encryption and that "most" people don't use that brand of Router. I've chosen a very strong password and I change it frequently. I do the best I can.

Can I say here I hate using WOW! as my server? Because I do. They are the least helpful of any server I have EVER used. Bar none.

However this was NOT my decision to make. We have two cable companies in our town - Comcast and WOW! Well, other than DIRECTV. That's it. So, the choices are limited to say the least. Comcast got...expensive. So we switched to WOW!. I wasn't too happy about it but since I'm not paying the bills I didn't have much of a vote. I was happy to get rid of the digital box that Comcast required on all the regular TV's in the home. That was a PITA. I can't remember what that was called - pass through or something or other.

But I do miss all the services I had with Comcast even though we were paying out the a$$ for it. We had the prime prime package. Everything you could get with them. Sigh. I did like their customer service though.

Tock
It's just me
join:2014-02-19
Glendale Heights, IL

Tock to LBL

to LBL
I could be wrong on this. I got my sources from google and I have checked to see if it works this was tested on a Apple IPOD

Host name is
pop3.mail.wowway.com
port 110

SMTP
smtpauth.mail.wowway.com
port 25

And no SSL/TLS

I have tested this from a webpage some where and completed a test email
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell to LBL

to LBL
said by LBL:

Can I say here I hate using WOW! as my server?

I can understand why you would use more than one email account/service. But I don't see why woway has to be one of them. Even when I used comcast I had email forwarded to a different account.
LBL
Panama City, FL

1 edit

LBL to Tock

to Tock
NM
LBL

2 edits

LBL

Let's just say we stick a fork in it and call this topic "Done". Thanks for all your help. I have gained a lot of knowledge along the way.

RootWyrm -you are

and NormanS - I guess you just went over my head and I missed what you were saying. I apologize for that. You were left brain and I am right brain. Thank you for helping me.

Tock
It's just me
join:2014-02-19
Glendale Heights, IL

Tock

Found Faq page check this one out instead

»www.wowway.com/docs/wow/ ··· ings.pdf