spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Rees
@rogers.com

Rees

Anon

[Modem/Router] Internet Modem and Smart Key

I picked up a new Rogers Cisco (Hitron) modem today with smart key and after it connected to internet and configured, it connected me to a neighbours SSID and allowed me to see and access their password, and guest password. The SSID # on the actual modem doesn't even appear as a possible WiFi network to connect to. Weird eh?
king_2015
join:2010-09-15
King City, ON

king_2015

Well, in this situation what only makes sense is that usb key that came with the Hitron gateway contains the default wi-fi password for all Hitrons that have not been changed yet. I only can say that people that don't change their default wi-fi password are just asking for it.
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

From what I remember of the USB Setup Key, it doesn't contain any passwords. It allows you to setup a guest network, run parental controls and name your wired network. If you set up a guest network, I believe you have to supply a password. The CGN3 itself comes with the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks pre-configured with default SSIDs. The networks will go live when the modem is powered up. Personal opinion that is a mistake. So, if the neighbour wasn't concerned with one or both networks, as he didn't intend to use it or them, there is probably a very good chance that he didn't look at the configuration, which is less than intuitive, and determine that both networks were live when the modem powers up. All you have to do is look at the wifi LEDs at the bottom of the front panel to know that the networks are live. Maybe, as a good neighbour, you should let him know about the situation.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I've been waiting for this.

If you don't change a modem from the defaults, a setup key that hasn't been used on your own modem can change everything, you get ALL the access you want as though you were signing into your own modem.

Free wifi? Yep. Absolutely. Connect to theirs for all your illegal activities.

The keys are all identical until you use it on your modem.

I've run the key before and been given the option of 2 or 3 modems to set up.

(I always verify by mac address so I don't secure someone elses).

I've been wondering when this idea or accident would post publicly.

Rogers is at a catch 22, we obviously want your connection secure, however we can't touch your computer. So the onus is on each customer to run the stick or follow the advanced instructions and sign into their gateway and secure it immediately after install.

Enjoy your free wifi.
cepnot4me

cepnot4me to Datalink

to Datalink
I should mention, the default SSID and password to get online is written right on the CGN3, I proffered the old method where the defaults were not provided, forcing people to run the USB key OR sign into the gateway and change them.

The minute a tech closes the work order, that modem is online.

Some customers don't bother with the stick as the only have one wired device (apple tv, smart tv etc).