rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

[WIN7] Error window appearing on boot

I wanted to get two programs to start after everything else loaded and tried to use WinPatrol to do this. WinPatrol has two ways to do this the first is to right-click on the program listing under the "Startup Programs" tab and then click on "Move to delayed start list". The other is to open up the "Delayed Start" tab and click on the "Add" button.
I could not get "Memeo" (Backup program) to start delayed by the right-click method so I tried to "Add" (button) it to the "Delayed Start" tab. After a failure here I removed Memeo and "The Weather Channel App" from the delayed startup tab.
Now I get the error window shown on booting up my computer. Both programs startup normally and everything in the registry and Services appear to be OK.

I am out of ideas on how to rid of the error window on boot. Any ideas?
rfhar

rfhar

Premium Member

If you know how to get a program to have a delayed start in Win7 I am interested on learning how to do it. I notice that there are entries in the services folder of Windows programs that do have a delayed start but how would one pick how much of a delay to add?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by rfhar:

but how would one pick how much of a delay to add?

You wouldn't. It's not intended to have user-specifiable delay per service. It means "start soon after the usual system initialization" instead of "start during the usual system initialization". Basically, it gives two tiers of automatic startup.

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

OK, thanks
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
I'd start by uninstalling WinPatrol, since it's unclear to me what role it is playing in all of this.

Once WinPatrol is gone, if you still get the same error, it would indicate that there's something in the startup folder that is trying to run a service program - but service programs are intended to be run by the service controller.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
Can't you just go to the service that runs for the software you want and change it's setting to delayed?

As Dave mentioned, return all settings to default and start again.
You might even find System Restore might come in handy.

Right-click the specific service|Properties|General tab|Startup type drop down menu|Select "Automatic(Delayed Start)"|Ok

Or try this KB article:
How to delay loading of specific services (KB193888)
»support.microsoft.com/kb/193888

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

1 edit

rfhar to dave

Premium Member

to dave
I removed WinPatrol and this did not help. I have not messed with the startup folder in ages, many months, but I looked at what was in it and a couple entries had the same names as items in the services folder but were different exe files than what was in the services folder. I deleted them anyway but this did not help. Next I opened up the Task Scheduler as I had scheduled some programs to start with a delay there and deleted these schedules in favor off a taskbar icon. This did not help. I reinstalled WinPAtrol and looked at both the services folder and the Startup in it and I can not see any duplicates but tomorrow I will screen-print both and check them with a pencil. This is just a different way of doing what I have already done by having the windows folders side by side but will be a double check.

I have fixed the problem that I was working on when I caused the problem I have now by delaying the start of Memeo in the services. I was trying to set up a dual boot and messed up and had to go back a month to get a backup that I had confidence in. Now Memeo backs ones files up on the fly and when I booted up the backup it started to update my files and set one back to the version I had the month earlier. I was not too happy and of course messed up something else trying to fix the backup problem. Memeo started backing up my files during the boot cycle and that lost some of the info in the one file. I have changed some of my backups to reduce the chance of this happening again. I have a lot of programs booting up and it does take longer than most peoples computers would.

Maybe I will have to remove and reinstall the programs which I was trying to change the startup times but one of these programs has been updated and getting the old vesion has problems too. The Ask toolbar must be installed to get the old version that I have and that toolbar is installed in such a way that it is very hard to remove. I played with the Ask toolbar on one of my laptops and it...

So nothing I did today helped and it is time to go out and shovel some snow that dies not rally need shoveling. Later.