spc
Search similar:

uniqs
alexkrycek
join:2015-01-11
Mccalla, AL

alexkrycek

Another potential new uverse customer

I'm currently using 3mbps DSL and got a notice that I can upgrade to 6mbps uverse finally (I live in the boondocks).

Saturday evening I went through the process online and they wanted me to buy a modem for $100. I cancelled what I was doing and looked around for a way to use my existing equipment. I discovered that uverse is a different kind of DSL (maybe? IDK) and that i'd have to get a new modem anyway. So I resigned my self to buying a new modem, but when I went back to the AT&T website the only option I get is paying $7/mo to rent a gateway. There's no way i'm paying money to lease equipment, so is there some way to get the old offer back (paying $100 for the gateway instead of the $7/mo?) I've tried different browsers and made sure that i'm selecting Internet only.

I really don't want to have to call them up, because it always takes at least an hour and 5 transfers before they tell you there's nothing they can do.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by alexkrycek:

I'm currently using 3mbps DSL and got a notice that I can upgrade to 6mbps uverse finally (I live in the boondocks).

Saturday evening I went through the process online and they wanted me to buy a modem for $100. I cancelled what I was doing and looked around for a way to use my existing equipment. I discovered that uverse is a different kind of DSL (maybe? IDK) and that i'd have to get a new modem anyway. So I resigned my self to buying a new modem, but when I went back to the AT&T website the only option I get is paying $7/mo to rent a gateway. There's no way i'm paying money to lease equipment, so is there some way to get the old offer back (paying $100 for the gateway instead of the $7/mo?) I've tried different browsers and made sure that i'm selecting Internet only.

I really don't want to have to call them up, because it always takes at least an hour and 5 transfers before they tell you there's nothing they can do.

Can you post a picture of your build your bundle page(with your address not shown) or list what's available?

Is TV available?
What is the top internet tier available?
Does it still require the $7(8) equipment rental fee when you choose internet only 3 Mbps and instead shows the $100 cost?

If Power is available, did you choose that tier when you were checking it? Power requires a rental.

Milwaukee PT to alexkrycek

Anon

to alexkrycek
Prior to January 2014, customers ordering internet only or internet/voip that meet certain conditions (not a bonded install or fiber to the premise) could purchase the Residential Gateway (RG aka modern) for $100 with a one year warranty.

Effective with start of this year, ALL RGs are lease only, $7 per month, even those that had previously purchased a unit and needing replaced IN or OUT of warranty will be a leased RG.

Bottom line, want Uverse internet in 2015, can only have a leased RG (wonder what will happen to used ones on eBay?).

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Milwaukee PT :

Prior to January 2014, customers ordering internet only or internet/voip that meet certain conditions (not a bonded install or fiber to the premise) could purchase the Residential Gateway (RG aka modern) for $100 with a one year warranty.

Effective with start of this year, ALL RGs are lease only, $7 per month, even those that had previously purchased a unit and needing replaced IN or OUT of warranty will be a leased RG.

Bottom line, want Uverse internet in 2015, can only have a leased RG (wonder what will happen to used ones on eBay?).

Ah, I didn't think they started this so soon. I guess it's to keep it less complicated with the introduction of the 5168NV for ADSL2+ customers.

I think that the eBay market probably won't really die, for those who want to upgrade at least.
alexkrycek
Mccalla, AL

1 edit

alexkrycek to Milwaukee PT

to Milwaukee PT
Then why did they offer it to me saturday evening (yesterday)?

Also, I dont necessarily want UVERSE internet, can I not upgrade my regular DSL to 6mbps?

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm to Milwaukee PT

to Milwaukee PT
said by Milwaukee PT :

In other words,

"We raised your rates without saying we did.
Thank you for playing...."
CmmTch
join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO

CmmTch to alexkrycek

to alexkrycek
The newer type DSL is known as IPDSL meaning it's an IP based (Internet Protocol) PTM (packet transfer mode) product and is called Uverse HSI. Because of the different transport protocol's you need the ATT modem to process the PTM IPDSL signal. Legacy DSL is PPPOE (Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet) ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) product.

Pardon the techno talk but that is the reason for needing the ATT proprietary modem, and the term Uverse is what is used now whether you get TV or just internet. There aren't many legacy DSL circuits being installed these days, ATT is moving away from the older ATM type transport protocol.
alexkrycek
Mccalla, AL

alexkrycek

Here's the screenshots. It's the same if I "Build my own bundle", or choose, internet or internet + voice plans.
TV isnt available, nor do I want or need it.

I noticed that when the page loads, it has the "one time charge" option briefly visible for half a send, then automatically changes to the $7/mo.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to Milwaukee PT

Premium Member

to Milwaukee PT
said by Milwaukee PT :

And now that the modem lease/rental is required, why separate it as a bill line item? It should be included in the base cost of Internet service

I still think its insane that if you have IPTV only, you still have the modem, obviously, but you do not pay the modem rental fee...All the more reason the modem fee should be built into the internet price
smk11
join:2014-11-12

smk11

said by ILpt4U:

said by Milwaukee PT :

And now that the modem lease/rental is required, why separate it as a bill line item? It should be included in the base cost of Internet service

I still think its insane that if you have IPTV only, you still have the modem, obviously, but you do not pay the modem rental fee...All the more reason the modem fee should be built into the internet price

That's the "cord cutter" tax. Wait till bundled packages have no caps or higher caps than internet only.

I still get a pop up saying that $100 modem is still an option but it defaults to $7 fee after.
alexkrycek
Mccalla, AL

alexkrycek

I guess i'm gonna give them a call tomorrow. Try to convince them that I have an old modem (which I'll buy off ebay if they fall for it) and try to escape the $7/mo tax.

I swear I've never had a good experience in the ~6 years i've been with AT&T. I'd almost consider switching to comcast if it were available in my area.
mitchflorida
join:2004-09-01
Deerfield Beach, FL

mitchflorida to alexkrycek

to alexkrycek
--------------

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to alexkrycek

Premium Member

to alexkrycek
»www.att.com/equipment/ac ··· u5480277

The NVG510 is still for sale for $100 on the AT&T equipment store
alexkrycek
Mccalla, AL

alexkrycek

Is this the device I need? They've been trying to send me the 2wire 3800. Will the NVG510 work?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

They won't send you a 3800. Only a 2Wire/Pace 5031 or Motorola/Arris NVG510.

The NVG510 is the only modem listed at the official AT&T store, but it is only compatible with ADSL2+. The 2Wire/Pace 5031NV does both ADSL2+ and VDSL2, so it is more universal
timeout1
join:2013-04-23
Cleveland, OH

timeout1 to alexkrycek

to alexkrycek
Alex,

At some point, AT&T will send you a letter forcing you to convert to U-verse.

When I received my letter, AT&T provided a free 2wire 3600 gateway (refurbished) and provided a reduced price.

If you can live with 3 Mb/s it might be cheaper to wait for the AT&T letter.
alexkrycek
Mccalla, AL

alexkrycek

So they don't charge you the $7/mo?
alexkrycek

alexkrycek to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
So uverse 6mbps is ADSL like my current 3mbps? If so, why won't my current modem work?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

ATM transport mode vs PTM transport modem, and PPPoE vs 802.1x certificate authentication
alexkrycek
Mccalla, AL

alexkrycek

You'd think they could just flip a switch and uncap my bandwidth, don't you think?
timeout1
join:2013-04-23
Cleveland, OH

timeout1 to alexkrycek

to alexkrycek
AT&T forced me to convert to U-verse in late 2013. They provided the 2wire 3600 for free and they are not charging me $7/month. I do not know what their policy for forced conversions to U-verse is today.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to alexkrycek

Premium Member

to alexkrycek
There are other reasons the company wants to go IP-baaed vs the old ATM network. Newer equipment and much more efficient use of bandwidth
alexkrycek
Mccalla, AL

alexkrycek to timeout1

to timeout1
said by timeout1:

I do not know what their policy for forced conversions to U-verse is today.

Knowing my luck i'm stuck with the $7/mo.
alexkrycek

alexkrycek to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

There are other reasons the company wants to go IP-baaed vs the old ATM network. Newer equipment and much more efficient use of bandwidth

So it's almost like i'd be doing them a favor by switching. Funny how they show their gratitude!

Milwaukee PT to ILpt4U

Anon

to ILpt4U
All the more reason the modem fee should be built into the internet price.. From ILpt4U

I agree, as internet rates went up $5 in 2014 and only $1 in 2015, I am expecting a large increase in 2016 with the abolishment of the HSIA fee as reason stated to be more transparent in billing. Need other providers to do same or everyone will ask why rates so high along with local TV broadcast fees that everyone seems to be charging.
Personally I think the Ubasic+Max Plus+HBO for $39 add HD $10 total $49 is best value, but I do not record anything or have a need to but can add a DVR for $15 if desired.

I prefer to remove customer self install option, $99 install no TV service, free install with TV service.
Too many either failed or poor performance service calls due to CSI option, again just my thought.

Of course, I also am expecting a reduction of number of speed tiers by two with release of 17a/vectoring when fully established (just my thoughts). Would be nice is start at Max and above especially if changes are coming making Pro, and Elite obsolete for elder generation that does not stream. Remember a service call dispatched on for elder couple because grandchildren complaining how slow service is, the couple only had internet for family visiting with an older PC that they only use to play card games on... The service subscribed to Elite 6M, all tests were good, no line problems, no speed tests issue, just grandchildren expectation not being meet.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to ILpt4U

Premium Member

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

Actually the biggest reason is its all totally unregulated.
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to alexkrycek

to alexkrycek
said by alexkrycek:

You'd think they could just flip a switch and uncap my bandwidth, don't you think?

Probably your line cannot hold 6M.
Post your line stats.
You will pay more for the new "fiber optic" over your copper pair at 3Mbps.
By the way the modem is still dsl, just new firmware not publicly available.
alexkrycek
Mccalla, AL

alexkrycek

Just got off the phone with AT&T. Guy confirmed that as of the 11th, all new installs are lease only.

He couldn't give me a definitive answer about bringing my own equipment. He did say he'd waive the first year and that I could most likely get it waived again once the first year is up.

So I'll probably go ahead and make the switch. Even if I end up paying the lease I guess its worth it to double (or thereabouts) my speed.
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by alexkrycek:

So I'll probably go ahead and make the switch. Even if I end up paying the lease I guess its worth it to double (or thereabouts) my speed.

It may not be possible to sync at 6M.
Post your current statistics.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

1 edit

Matt7 to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

Honestly they should just go back to the way it was -- no lease fee when UVerse first launched. I pay $7 a month for a 3800 ... If AT&T really cared I should get a "free" upgrade to the latest and greatest RG with the lease fee I am paying each month because I have internet. Even with the $11.05 a month discount for a year on price with "1 year contract" UVerse Internet Max pricing is still not competitive with the Time Warner offering of 15/2 for $39.95 for a year (no contract) if you own your own cable modem.