Search similar:

uniqs

IpLOG
@quadranet.com

IpLOG

Anon

Log Retention Periods

So...
Given all of the nonsense now about notice-and-notice, copyright trolling and such...
A previous posts mention that if you haven't "rebooted" your modem.. logs may be retained for a period longer than 30 days. I take this to mean... if you haven't obtained a new IP, logs may exist back to whenever you obtained the last IP address..

The question I have is this. With cable, you often won't obtain a new IP with a short reboot cycle. With DSL, pretty much get a new IP on every reconnection of the PPPOE session.

So, for DSL users that are running PPPOE passthrough, firmware such as DDWRT offers scheduled reboots via CRON. If we schedule a reboot daily, which disconnects and reconnects the PPPOE session (and obtains a new IP daily), wouldn't this be the same as rebooting the actual modem (I am assuming the reboot of the modem was to obtain a new PPPOE session & IP, and has nothing to do with DSL sync.).
I could be wrong though, and perhaps logs are also somehow linked to DSL sync?

If anyone out there could help provide confirmation of this... whether the 30 day window is based on PPPOE session or DSL sync, this would be helpful.

Can someone from Teksavvy chime in here to confirm?