Search similar:

uniqs

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

1 recommendation

fluffybunny to Grumpy4

Anon

to Grumpy4

Re: [Flooring] how do i remove these tiles ??

not worried about skim coat as ive done over 2000 sq ft of it for the rest of the laminate install 5 years ago.
beneath the tile is pure concrete. doesnt look like any wood. the tiles are old and have a bad design - just looks terrible compared to the high gloss laminate over the rest of the house. i have a spare box of the tiles and even new it looks terrible compared to 5 year old laminate. the laminate also doesnt age (its basically color laser printed plastic on top of a plastic composite board surface) and it feels decent like real wood even if it isnt.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to fluffybunny

Premium Member

to fluffybunny
Aren't you concerned about how the laminate floor will deal with getting wet -- inevitable in a kitchen?

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

its water resistant. ive dropped lots of water on it (we have it in the laundry room). its made of some kind of composite plastic which resists water damage. standing water will damage it if left overnight but normal spillage is ok if it dries reasonably quickly.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

How thick is the laminate? I ask because the best approach for you may be to glue down some quarter inch luan over the existing tile and put the laminate on top of that. Definitely bring up the level where the dishwasher is now with thinset to make the entire floor the same level.

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

radiant floor heating so that wont work.
i'll remove the tiles with a hammer and cold chisel. isnt any real alternative to actually doing the work properly.

Temites
@cox.net

Temites to fluffybunny

Anon

to fluffybunny
said by fluffybunny :

yup. want to install laminate in the kitchen and keep the dishwasher on concrete.
hammer and chisel would be too slow i think for 500 sq ft of tile ?
is it stuck with cement ?

Keeping the dishwasher on tile would be your best bet in case you have a leak etc
There's to much work in removing the 6 square feet of tile if that! Take the advice of others and don't do it.

Am building a new house and have tiles all the way to the wall... They don't do it like this way he said but I ask them to extend the tiles incase in the future.

Don't try to remove them tiles....warning.

Termites
@cox.net

Termites to mackey

Anon

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by Termites :

Which makes no sense why not install the dishwasher on top nothing wrong with this..

Did you even read his later replies? He wants to remove the tiles from the entire kitchen and put in laminate.

I did read it he should leave them in place and install backer board on top of the tiles and secure it with concrete screws then install the wood flooring.

Since it's uneven this will make a smooth surface..

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to fluffybunny

Premium Member

to fluffybunny
I am a bit confused..... If you did 2000 sqft 5 years ago. Why is 6 sqft under the dishwasher such a problem?

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I think he meant he used thinset for his 2K square feet before, but that didn't start with tile.

The radiant floor heating system is a new wrinkle. Definitely do not use screws or any penetrating fasteners into that.

Since the OP has decided to chisel it all out, then level what's left I guess our job here is done...

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

correct. there was carpet there before.
yup. no penetrating fasteners. floating floor with eco cork underlay and kaindl high gloss commercial laminate.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to fluffybunny

Premium Member

to fluffybunny
said by fluffybunny :

radiant floor heating so that wont work.
i'll remove the tiles with a hammer and cold chisel. isnt any real alternative to actually doing the work properly.

How are you proposing to remove the tiles and grind the underlying thinset without damaging the radiant heating system???

Remove all cabinets, use floor leveler on existing tiles. Add laminate. Put cabinets back.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to fluffybunny

Premium Member

to fluffybunny
Although no one else has mentioned this, but he will also have to match the finish floor height with the other laminate ......

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

How are you proposing to remove the tiles and grind the underlying thinset without damaging the radiant heating system???

Remove all cabinets, use floor leveler on existing tiles. Add laminate. Put cabinets back.

He's going to put radiant floor heating back in when he installs the new laminate, that's why he has to do the leveling compound and why he did it previously! The existing floor doesn't have it.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

Unless its an electric blanket, the radiant is embedded in the floor at least 1.5 inches below the top.

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny to AsherN

Anon

to AsherN
err...radiant flooring is actually water loops embedded in concrete slab waay down. short of cracking the foundation i should be good.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by fluffybunny :

err...radiant flooring is actually water loops embedded in concrete slab waay down. short of cracking the foundation i should be good.

Many times, especially in residential settings, radiant floor heating is done by using wires embedded under the floor instead of water loops. The electric type are much easier and cheaper to install and if they fail they don't make such a mess.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

1 edit

H_T_R_N (banned) to fluffybunny

to fluffybunny
said by fluffybunny :

If hydro yes but there are electric sheats that are laid in the mastic between the concrete and the tile.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

PSWired

Right about now we should be getting a visit from a Canadian troll...
Expand your moderator at work