Search similar:

uniqs

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev

[Locksets] Mortise lock sticking, possibly related to cold

I have a Marks series 4 mortise lock on my door. Since last Thursday, it's been sticking in the open position if I open it, and not going into the closed/latch position for hours. Each time I've found it latched is when the door's had some exposure to the sun, so this morning, with some jiggling and a hair dryer, I was able to get it to latched in a few minutes.

I'd prefer not to pay for a locksmith visit if I don't have to. Lock is about 7 years old, and up until now, has never been lubricated. I'm willing to do that, if it will help. I'm also willing to pull it from the door myself and take it in to the locksmith's, but if someone has specific experience with mortise locks and is familiar with a problem such as this.

If the problem is in my handle, that's a different story. I'll need to buy a new handle, as the manufacturer that made mine is no longer in business and can't provide parts.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

Given what the weather has been recently and the fact that it works when the sun is shining on the door is quite possible that having problems because of the cold. There may be some excessive moisture in it that's freezing or at least frosting when it gets cold. I would spray it good with a water displacement product such as WD-40 and see what happens. It certainly can't hurt anything and I'm guessing it will help considerably.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to lev

Premium Member

to lev
double post.
Grumpy4

Grumpy4 to lev

Premium Member

to lev
WD 40 will clean the surfaces and displace the water very well. I would then use a graphite based lubricant after the WD 40. WD 40 tends to strip lock mechanisms of any residual lubricant that the graphite will impart. Beware that over spray or droplets of graphite can stain textiles like any rugs under the door. Graphite vessel in one hand, and wad of paper towels in the other during application is a good idea. Graphite for locks is sold at any decent hardware store, usually in one or more of three ways - liquid in a bottle, powder in a tube, and aerosol. I would go for the aerosol if it's available.

Not that you asked, but, with regard to auto doors and outdoor padlocks of any sort, I would strongly advise to avoid WD 40 altogether, and go directly to graphite. An annual Fall season application of graphite into these types of locks is a very good idea in any climate that offers freezing temps. Frozen auto door locks usually require a road service call to remedy.

lev

Goodyear, AZ

lev

I've learned a little more, and I jumped to an incorrect conclusion last night.

The mortise only sticks when I open the door from the outside handle. Moving the inside handle releases the lock a tiny bit every time I pull it, until finally, it latches.

I'm back to my original assumption that it's not the mortise, since the movement on that is fine, but am still willing to accept any ideas. I can provide photographs or video if it would be helpful, I just can't see how it would.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to lev

Premium Member

to lev
It quite likely could still be lubrication. There certainly wouldn't be any harm in trying what Grumpy and I have suggested already.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to lev

to lev
We use Tri-flow on all of our locks at work. This is for any panic hardware and SFIC locksets.

locks11
@rr.com

locks11

Anon

I am a big fan of LPS1 and Houdini.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to lev

Premium Member

to lev
This stuff is the shizzle

»www.amazon.com/Kano-Pene ··· 05XUIXOM

-j

lev

Goodyear, AZ

lev

I'll try the WD-40 and lubricant today if it's warm/sunny enough to have the door open. I will follow up. Thanks.

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

mike34 to lev

Premium Member

to lev
Bought a 4 oz spray can of graphite lock fluid ~40 years ago and still have it. Probably more than half full. Still works and is all you need. Forget the WD40.

Plus a rag or paper towel. Stuff is black and can make a mess when you give it one too many squirts.
Expand your moderator at work

lev

Goodyear, AZ

lev

Re: [Locksets] Mortise lock sticking, possibly related to cold

So another update; sorry about the delay. I lubricated the lock and handles, and the problem at this point is that if I open the inside handle, either by pulling up or pushing down, the mortise latch moves in correctly, and out correctly when I release the handle.

If I unlock the outside and push the handle down, the latch moves in and out correctly. If I pull the handle up and release it, the latch moves in correctly, and NOT QUITE all the way back out. Pushing the outside handle down a tiny bit will bring the latch completely out.

I'm back to thinking it might be the handle. What say you?

1 edit

Lock Expert

Anon

You catry and spray some WD40 into the mechanism and see how it goes.
also replace it by yourself is not a big issue.