spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jeppler
join:2000-10-11
Wethersfield, CT

jeppler

[ALL] WiFi Slow

Just installed 50/5 Cox internet with a Netgear CG3000 router from Cox. Sitting a few feet from the router I get about 15 mbps d/l speed on my MotoX. At my daughter's home with her Comcast 50/10 package and an Arris router I can get 49 mbps down.

My wired connection at home on the Netgear gets 55/8 no problem. What's up, any ideas?

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

Check out wifi analyzer on the google play store, and if you have a laptop inSSIDer is also very handy.

I suspect you have much more interference at your location, or too many other networks on the same channel. Both those programs can help show you that. In that case the speed issue is due to the phone having a lower PHY rate since it can't sustain the faster rate without errors. Also make sure to remove any 802.11g, and definitely remove any 802.11b devices. They will slow the network down as the router has to allow them to work.
jeppler
Wethersfield, CT

jeppler

Been using wifi analyzer for years. I purposely took the Cox router off "auto" and selected a channel that is clear in my area. And I was sitting 1-2 feet away from the router. I also shut down all other wifi items in the house for testing, so it's just my phone and router, under ideal conditions. This is a tough one...

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

odog

Premium Member

what does the phone should say the wifi PHY rate is in Mbps? Also check that the router is in "pure" 802.11n mode, assuming you have no b/g devices.
jeppler
Wethersfield, CT

jeppler

turned off any other wifi devices for testing. I'm not sure where to see the PHY rate on a MotoX?

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

odog

Premium Member

On my S4 I go into Wifi, click on the network I'm using, and it lists the link speed.
jeppler
Wethersfield, CT

jeppler

It's showing 54 mbps on my MotoX. And I can get 49 mbps on my daughters Comcast router with the same phone...

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to jeppler

Premium Member

to jeppler
Most of the time you "only" get about 50% of the phy rate. if you're as close as you say you are, and don't have any interference you should have a higher PHY rate.(MUCH higher)

It sounds like the router might be in 802.11g compatibility mode. Try switching it to N only mode.
odog

odog to jeppler

Premium Member

to jeppler
said by jeppler:

It's showing 54 mbps on my MotoX. And I can get 49 mbps on my daughters Comcast router with the same phone...

What is the phy rate when you are connected to your daughters gateway?

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28 to jeppler

Premium Member

to jeppler
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is why I like the note 4 fast wifi.
jeppler
Wethersfield, CT

jeppler to odog

to odog
Just checked, over there I get a connect rate of 72 mbps. If I disconnect everything here except the new Cox Netgear modem and run it in N mode only I can get up to 35 mbps here. The remaining difference I guess I can write off to differences in the modems.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

What encryption type are you running? If you run wireless-N in anything but WPA2-AES it'll revert to wireless-G speeds.
jeppler
Wethersfield, CT

jeppler

Running WPA2-AES/TKIP

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

You might want to disable the TKIP encryption. Once you have a device connect with that it pulls the wifi speeds down to G rates.