Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

koam

Premium Member

Identifying devices on LAN via MAC

Once in a while I get a message from Windows that there's an IP address conflict on my LAN. I've seen those for many years on different LANs, so no biggie, I guess.

I decided to check out the Connected Devices on my LAN and wanted to ask about identifying devices that don't have clear host names. There are several of them.

For example, I found a device that does have an IP conflict at the moment.

The Host Name associated with this device is "BORN"

I used this site »www.techzoom.net/Tools/C ··· cAddress to identify the MAC ID: 28:E3:47:2E:6B:35 and it returned with this result:

MAC-Addr IP-Addr Vendor
28-E3-47-2E-6B-03 Liteon Technology Corporation, TAIWAN

Googled Liteon and they make SSDs and Optical Storeage devices. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what device that is. (several people use this LAN and we have lots of toys).. (I don't think it's something from outside the house as we're in a rural area and WiFi doesn't reach neighbors.)

Any ideas on what that device is?
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

Blacklist the MAC and see who complains.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
East Puddle

koam

Premium Member

I sent a restart to the router and the device hasn't reappeared yet. I have an idea...let me check it.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist

Possibly a BlueRay player hooked to the Ethernet or wireless.

Many router/firmwares allow you to check the status pages and see if the MAC is connecting wired or wireless which may assist you in locating the culprit.

I agree with LLigetfa, block the MAC and wait for the whining to commence.

Oh and change the main router's password after blocking the MAC address if you think the person using the problematic device knows the old one.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
East Puddle

koam

Premium Member

I don't think there's a problem but I'm curious about what the devices are.

There is BlueRay player somewhere but I doubt it's been used. There's no ethernet to it and i doubt it's on WiFi.