All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kan
join:2009-07-29
Calgary, AB

kan

[DSL] DSL west (telus) vdsl2 modem only options?

Hi,

looking at moving back to DSL with teksavvy after a bunch of moves around the city here and going with shaw cable during those times. I suspect my old modem's are really out of date (speed touch 516's or something like that) so im going to need a new modem, i don't need a router due to having a netgear R7000 but after looking around im wondering if just going with the ZyXel VSG 1432 VDSL2 from teksavvy and running it in bridge mode with wireless disabled is my best option?

i really don't see many VDSL2 modems available for purchase under a few hundred dollars, not sure if i'm looking at the right things or not...

Thanks.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

I just went through this exercise a few weeks ago and ended up with the VSG1432. I've already disabled Wireless and will switch it to bridge mode once I am able to get a successful login.

Activation day is today, but so far the ZyXel shows a ADSL2 sync at 3.5/1. I'm guessing Telus still has some work to do to get me up to 25/5 that I'd ordered. Given that the PPPoE login times out, I presume someone needs to click a few buttons to finish the job.
dolomike
join:2005-10-07
Langley, BC

dolomike to kan

to kan
I use the 1432 in bridge mode with wireless disabled and don't have any issues. The 516 will only be good enough for the 6Mbit service.

I actually bought mine off CL from a Telus customer who had a spare. I don't even think I had to adjust any parameters except to set it to VSDL. You can find the login details around so that you can get in and adjust the settings.
kan
join:2009-07-29
Calgary, AB

kan

ya it really looks like the best option from a financial viewpoint here, buy the full blown kit and disable half the system.

danf
join:2005-11-10
Abbotsford, BC

danf to kan

to kan
Another user of the Zyxel here. Disabled wifi and enabled bridge mode. Works well.

Trev: I hope you didn't have the same problem I did. The Telus installer did work at my house and the DSLAM and then hooked up the Telus line, which died the next day. I had to manually move the pair jumpers in my demarc box. I opted to do it myself rather than waiting for a call-out.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by danf:

Trev: I hope you didn't have the same problem I did. The Telus installer did work at my house and the DSLAM and then hooked up the Telus line, which died the next day. I had to manually move the pair jumpers in my demarc box. I opted to do it myself rather than waiting for a call-out.

Still no change at this point and no sign of Telus all day. Hoping this isn't going to turn into my 5th consecutive botched install that I've been involved in...

No demarc here. Just Telus lines to the electrical room and then on to my jacks, which already has a VDSL splitter installed by Telus last year when I had their TV for a few months.