spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chevyowner
join:2013-07-04
Preston, ID

chevyowner

SDSL?

Does anyone know if CentruyLink offers SDSL?
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

If you order a T1, it'll likely be delivered via SDSL or SHDSL, but I don't believe they typically offer it on its own as a consumer product at whatever the full effort of the SDSL/SHDSL standard you choose is, as a drop-in for ADSL/ADSL2+ or VDSL2.
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner

I might be thinking the wrong thing. I just need faster upload for many things.

bottleworks
@embarqhsd.net

bottleworks

Anon

No, you're thinking of the right thing. SDSL was more common when DSL first existed. You're speed both ways was equal. I had it as a business account in the late 90's. Today, it's not really anything anyone uses, nor offers.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to chevyowner

to chevyowner
Yes. But the 'S' has a different meaning.

bottleworks
@embarqhsd.net

bottleworks

Anon

said by Titus:

Yes. But the 'S' has a different meaning.

Yea, symmetric. Everyone here already knows that.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to chevyowner

to chevyowner
I really wonder why nobody will deploy this anymore, as really anything under 1Mbps for upload is not acceptable anymore.

If i could not get the 5Mbps upload that I have (and that's at the low end of what i want, right about what i need) I would be on cable.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to bottleworks

to bottleworks
That's not what I mea... /NM.

chd176
join:2003-01-10
Winfield, AL
·CenturyLink

chd176 to chevyowner

to chevyowner
I can see why people no longer post here...anyway, back on topic me either Brad I wonder if it's because it's so much more expensive to maintain the upload portion? I'm not going to lie I don't know the first thing about SDSL and how it's maintained but I know to get a good upload on VDSL2+ and ADSL2+ your line has to be clean and you have to be fairly close to the DSLAM.
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner to brad152

to brad152
I would jump ship from CenturyLink last month if there was another option. A few days ago no online games would work, and many other games that have DRM checks would not work. All port 80 web pages would work, and because of this CenturyLink said there was not problem with the internet and to try playing PlanetSide 2 in a different web browser. *facepalm*

PS
The normal upload speed I get is 400-500kbps.
chevyowner

chevyowner to chd176

to chd176
Distance should not be a problem for me then. According to »/coinfo the DSLAM is about 3/4 of a mile away. It's also where I thought it was.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

Well i'm sure you'll get bumped to VDSL2 eventually. Once that happens you should be able to get at least 5Mbps upload on a single pair from that distance.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to chevyowner

to chevyowner
Just to add to this again, because I did not specify earlier.

SDSL and SHDSL are two different technologies that are related, but not really compatible, as far as I know.

SDSL specifies up to 2.3 megabits (symmetrical) on one pair. You can bond SDSL and it's used pretty frequently as a T1 replacement, because the reach is slightly better than T1s. It can be repeated as well, which is nice.

SHDSL (also sometimes called g.SHDSL.bis) similarly can be bonded and repeated, but each pair will get you about 5.6 megabits.

SHDSL is frequently sold as "EFM" or "Ethernet in the first mile" and Adtran has been lobbying CenturyLink hard to start feeding DSLAMs with it, because right now for every T1 feeding an old 1124 or 1148, CL could drop in SHDSL repeaters and get two 5.6 megabit links, because SHDSL only needs one pair to run. Combine that with bonding and you're talking about 90 megs of backhaul in the same amount of copper. (sixteen SHDSL spans replacing eight T1 spans.)

If your local CO has SDSL or SHDSL available, and it might or might not depending on what's available there, you're unlikely to get it. Firstly, they only feed it out of COs and appropriately huge remote terminals -- you'd need to be on a total access 5000 or a litespan with available slots, for example, and CL is unlikely to want to put EFM/SHDSL on a TA5000 in the field when it can sell more VDSL2 or ADSL2+ subs, or even start bonding to give those customers more speed.

And, if you're on a TA1100-series DSLAM (very very common in Qwest-land) then you're straight-up out of luck.

We all want more upload speed, unfortunately this isn't how it's going to happen.

What CL really needs to start doing is laying fiber -- either directly from TA5000s with GPON cards in the central office, or to remote TA5000s, and then out to homes.

It would be huge if CL started just dropping fiber into neighborhoods and selling, say, 100/50 on it. Just put in the systems and start trenching and selling. Alas, who knows if and when they'll pick up the pace on that kind of deployment, and woefully, 100/50 is a lot less exciting as a service tier than gigabit but it lets them provide more without overextending themselves, and later provide even more than that.
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner

Well If there were other real options besides CenturyLink I might be willing to try them, And the only upload speed CenturyLink has here 896K for all plans.

The other ISPs that are not worth using are...

Digis, here the wireless ISP go down if the wind blows more then 4mph.

DCDI who change their name to DirectCom. They advertise a fiber optic connection to the home, but it is just cable internet. I think they had to work at this, but they are worse then what I hear about Comcast.

Moving is out of the option so until CenturyLink does better, or a new ISP moves in I'll just have to remember Online games don't work.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Which games? I don't typically have any problems with WoW on my line, which is 1536/896k.

For a lot of games, latency matters more than just speed. Latency may be something they can address without you needing to have a T1 or your own special DSLAM or line card module installed.

Also, what speeds are available, and have you checked the business site, or pestered them about pair bonding? You may be able to get 20/2 or so with pair bonding, I have lived at a few addresses where that was an option.

If you're still interested in moving away from ADSL/VDSL, the thing I would ask for is "Metro Ethernet" -- which may be delivered over SHDSL/EFM at low enough speeds. (like, 5/5 per pair, with repeaters close enough together)

»www.centurylink.com/busi ··· net.html
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner

For now they are Planetside 2, and World of Tanks. World of Tanks is normally 50-70ms ping, but there is always a noticeable delay for what ever I try and do. Planetside 2 normally has about 150ms ping, and the problems are far less noticeable then WOT but still make the game hard to play. Sometimes it makes the games impossible to play.

PS
I have looked at the small business site, but the $200 per month it lists it too much for me.
The "Metro Ethernet" is not available here as I don't live in a metro area.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

You should ask them and find out. They may be able to offer other solutions.
»www.centurylink.com/busi ··· net.html
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner

I did that too, and CenturyLink has told me they don't sell internet here at all. It would be nice if that meant I did not have to pay the bill they send.