spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Zoomob
@12.52.96.x

Zoomob

Anon

[Qwest] New Wireless Access Point or Powerline Adapter

I just got Centurylink 40 down / 20 up..but the wireless modem was installed in the basement utility room so connection upstairs and 2nd floor gets weak and slow.

Should I hook up a powerline adapter to their router and then add my T-Mobile Cellspot Router on the first floor which has better wifi capability or should I try to use my router instead by bridging theirs (still in the basement). Not happy with where they put the router.

sweller
join:2009-04-25
Tucson, AZ

sweller

If you already own the powerline adapters, I'd try them first just because they're so simple to use. Depending on what you have though, WiFi can outperform it.

Your mileage may vary. Results not typical. Consult with your doctor. Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Zoomob
@12.52.96.x

Zoomob

Anon

I haven't bought the powerline adapters yet...but I do have the Tmobile Cellspot Router / ASUS router...I assume setting this up should be easy as long as I get the PPPoE username and password.

sweller
join:2009-04-25
Tucson, AZ

sweller

That would answer it for me. Go with what you have and see if it works. Shouldn't take more than a phone call if you don't have it on a letter...

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to Zoomob

Premium Member

to Zoomob
said by Zoomob :

I haven't bought the powerline adapters yet...but I do have the Tmobile Cellspot Router / ASUS router...I assume setting this up should be easy as long as I get the PPPoE username and password.

Yes, it's pretty easy. Just put the DSL modem in transparent bridging mode, then you will set the connection type to PPPoE on your ASUS router.

I would try out the Powerline adapter. I am using them currently for a voip phone, and two printers and they work great! Just order it from somewhere that will let your return it easily in case it doesn't work out.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to Zoomob

to Zoomob
Hello Zoomob,

Sorry that your upstairs connection is weak. We can help if you'll send accoutn & contact info via TalkToUs@centurylink.com.

Thank you very much,

Tom
Social Media Manager
Customer Advocacy
Consumer/Small Business Sales and Care
TalkToUs@centurylink.com
chevyowner
join:2013-07-04
Preston, ID

chevyowner to Zoomob

to Zoomob
Another option besides the powerline adapters if you have a cat 5 that does not use OTA TV would be something like a DECA for directv you can buy them from amazon for about $14. If you have two of them you can use the cat 5 to extend your network.

I use this type of thing to add wifi in part of my house that does not have access to the LAN, and for me it is much faster the a powerline adapter.

Zoomob
@qwest.net

Zoomob

Anon

Awesome...thank you for that suggestion. I wasn't sure what that was. Our DirecTV installer put one on our router in the basement so that the boxes throughout the house will have internet for YouTube and Pandora.

So now I can install another one on one of the upper rooms where there is a box and then use the cat 5 to connect to a wireless router and I should get internet up there up to 100mbps?
BadMagpie
join:2011-02-05

BadMagpie to Zoomob

to Zoomob
I've tried both powerline adapters and an Actiontec MoCA Ethernet to Coax Network Adapter Kit. The powerline adapters give maybe 5MBytes/sec of transfer if they're on the same floor, much lower if you go from the basement to the second floor, perhaps 1 MBytes/sec.
With the Actiontec, my physical layer rate is 99 mbit/sec, based on my wiring. It's using the 1.1 GHz band. Ping is about 3ms. It's more expensive than the powerline adapters, but the speed is higher and more stable.
Lastly, some DSL modems, like the Actiontec V1000h, have a coax connection, but they operate on the ~35 MHz band, which would blow out the upstream on any other cable modems on the same node. So beware.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Zoomob

MVM

to Zoomob
said by Zoomob :

Awesome...thank you for that suggestion. I wasn't sure what that was. Our DirecTV installer put one on our router in the basement so that the boxes throughout the house will have internet for YouTube and Pandora.

So now I can install another one on one of the upper rooms where there is a box and then use the cat 5 to connect to a wireless router and I should get internet up there up to 100mbps?

Yes. Since you already have DirecTV, all you need is another DECA adapter like the one connecting the router to the coax. Use a high frequency (5mhz to 2.6ghz) splitter and a couple short pieces of coax to tap it in by the upstairs box. Connect another AP to the ethernet port and you should be set.

Zoomob
@172.56.9.x

Zoomob

Anon

Thanks. Rap shack sells a splittwr that is 5mhz to 3ghz. Both plugs say dc powerpass...would this work?
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner

It should.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Zoomob

MVM

to Zoomob
Yes, that will work. Standard cable splitters only cover 5mhz to 1ghz and can possibly interfere with passing the full signal spectrum used by DirecTV.

Zoomob
@172.56.9.x

Zoomob

Anon

Thanks everyone. The powerline adapter is only giving me 20mbps download at the highest speed. So i ordered another DECA and it is comong today. I will try that and see how it works tonight..
Zoomob

Zoomob

Anon

Question....why would a splitter be needed if i just use the line coming into the receiver? I dont need to split anything. The other DECA is already connected to the modem directly in the basement.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

The DECA adapter connects to the coax wiring like a receiver would. If you get a DECA adapter with two ports (in and out), then you may not need a splitter behind the receiver to connect both. However, the two port DECA adapter may not pass the network traffic on to the receiver (since they were originally used with boxes that did not have coax networking built in). The newer DECA's I last used, only had one coax port, requiring a splitter in the line to connect them.
chevyowner
Preston, ID

chevyowner to Zoomob

to Zoomob
You can try connecting it to the receiver without a splitter, but if the receiver used no longer gets internet you need a splitter.

Zoomob
@12.52.96.x

Zoomob

Anon

Transparent bridge mode over DECA?

Thank you everyone for your help. I have the DECA hooked up in my living room and it is attached to my wireless router. I now get almost the full speed. I turned off the wireless on the router in the basement and my wireless is acting like an access point.

QUESTION:

Can I change the router in the basement provided by Centurylink to transparent bridge mode, use the DECAs to hook the network cable to my router in the living room?

I know the basement router can turn to transparent bridge and then you need to hook a network cable from it to the router that will be active. Since my router is in the living room, will the DECA connection provide the same type of network cable connectivity?