spc
Search similar:

uniqs
abcbca123321
join:2014-02-18
Union City, MI

abcbca123321

Internet Congestion at around 9 PM?

At around 9 PM every day (starting from 6) the internet for Youtube at least gets very slow. It goes from 720p 2x speed to by 9 PM only able to do 360p 2x speed (saves time etc).Under stats for nerds for youtube it says "bandwidth: 600 Kbps" at about that time. I also have a problem where some videos won't load past 360p (They just dont load i've even left a 480p video in the background for 20 minutes without it even starting to play).

Any ideas? This has been happening for over a year now and i'm sick of it.

Oh also our main TV freezes on some channels every minute or so.

Pay for: 15 Mbps down 1 up
Get: 16 Mbps down (2 AM - 10 AM) 12 Mbps down (11 AM - 6 PM) 4-8 Mbps down (7 PM - 1 AM) 2 Mbps up (all times)

We've had 3 people come over to check since Christmas 2013 (early 2014 non after about month 6 of the year or so) First time: "Nothing wrong just people get on" Second time: Same thing Third time: (While installing neighbors) "We found a messed up box just down the road (Repair people came sameday they were getting theirs installed) and we're fixing it now."
They fixed our problem with 0.5 Mbps down 0 Up. That above was just a stroke of luck so calling will do nothing if there is something wrong.
Also the 3rd person was the only person to think that the random drops of connection in the middle of it (The speed would go up then drop and slowly drop then back up etc) was a clear thing that something was wrong...

Ok before I ramble on for another hour. Any ideas?
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2

Hi,
The times you listed as worst are generally considered "prime time" for internet usage, which translates into slower speeds, mainly download because that is what most people are doing. Another major factor, often complained about especially with youtube is that the connections between your ISP and other major interconnections is called "overstatuated peering links." What this arguement means is that youtube uses a lot of bandwidth but the links to your local ISP get overloaded as they try to get to your connection. None of the ISP's or links involved want to spend the money to upgrade those connections because they don't get anything out of it. A similiar problem with Netflix is slowly getting resolved because Netflix basically coughed up the money to upgrade these links...youtube has not done anything similar...so in prime time expect this to continue. Some folks have used a paid VPN to bypass this kind of issue and a few get a bit more speed by changing their DNS settings but this is not reliable.
abcbca123321
Union City, MI

2 edits

abcbca123321

Well that sucks. It already is down to 1500 Kbps and it's only 6:37.

7:52 PM
830 Kbps. Looks like no more 480p.

I also wonder when that "upgrade" they said they were working on 2 years ago will come.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm

What that means is the headend is beyond overloaded, despite their supposed 40Gbit core. Most likely the only way it will improve is if they actually upgrade the headend and re-divide the entire plant. Too many customers on one node, and "fuck you because we're only interested in business customers now."

Based on their track record? Best case, you might see some marginal improvement 9 to 12 months from now. Unless they're planning to sell it to the TWC-Comcast-Charter bastard spinoff in which case fixing the problems will happen absolutely never.
abcbca123321
Union City, MI

abcbca123321

When we lived in Coldwater we had Charter... it was actually very nice even with most likely one of their slower speeds :P. That was like 4-5 years ago though so I don't know whats happened in that time but we get many advertisements for them even though they're out of our range >.>.

I remember watching 480p videos no problem all day (I had a old pentium 4 computer and lagged at 720p) on their stuff.

Also what do you mean some improvement in 9 to 12 months? I've seen that opposite in 2-3 years :P. It went from decent to bad to worse to this.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm

said by abcbca123321:

Also what do you mean some improvement in 9 to 12 months? I've seen that opposite in 2-3 years :P. It went from decent to bad to worse to this.

I mean that in the best case, WOW will make slight improvements to their obviously unusable network in 9 to 12 months so that instead of 800Kbps for 15Mbps provisioning you get a whole 5Mbps. And then they'll just let it rot again.

But again, that's only if they haven't decided to sell the region already. If they've decided to sell the region, then they absolutely will not spend one penny to fix anything. Same as any other MSO. Because Charter and everyone else is pretty much planning on the TWC-Comcast merger going through it's entirely possible the vultures that own WOW are planning on selling the territory to the new company.
abcbca123321
Union City, MI

abcbca123321

Ah. That sounds nice actually. 5 Mbps is enough to watch 720p videos and is what I get at about 3 PM with Youtube.
Expand your moderator at work

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to abcbca123321

Premium Member

to abcbca123321

Re: Internet Congestion at around 9 PM?

said by abcbca123321:

At around 9 PM every day (starting from 6) the internet for Youtube at least gets very slow. It goes from 720p 2x speed to by 9 PM only able to do 360p 2x speed (saves time etc).Under stats for nerds for youtube it says "bandwidth: 600 Kbps" at about that time. I also have a problem where some videos won't load past 360p (They just dont load i've even left a 480p video in the background for 20 minutes without it even starting to play).

Any ideas? This has been happening for over a year now and i'm sick of it.

Oh also our main TV freezes on some channels every minute or so.

Can you please send me a private message with your account number or phone number? I would like to take a closer look at this. Initial inspection shows no issues on my side from Union City, MI but I would like to verify your connection and location specifically to see if I can try and find any issues for you.
Expand your moderator at work

Inflex
join:2002-09-05

1 edit

Inflex to RootWyrm

to RootWyrm

Re: Internet Congestion at around 9 PM?

said by RootWyrm:

What that means is the headend is beyond overloaded, despite their supposed 40Gbit core. Most likely the only way it will improve is if they actually upgrade the headend and re-divide the entire plant. Too many customers on one node, and "fuck you because we're only interested in business customers now."

Based on their track record? Best case, you might see some marginal improvement 9 to 12 months from now. Unless they're planning to sell it to the TWC-Comcast-Charter bastard spinoff in which case fixing the problems will happen absolutely never.

The above is complete and utter BS.

When my area needed a split it took less than a month.

You claim to know so much about Wow, but your posts are always filled with just plain wrong information. And you even admit your lack of knowledge saying they "supposedly" have a 40gb core. Don't you know?