uniqs
onlynone
join:2014-02-17
United State

1 edit

onlynone to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish

Re: [ONT] Previous owner cut power cord to ONT

Well, my excitement was short lived. I finally got through to Verizon after midnight and they said they couldn't see anything from my side of the connection, none of their remote commands were doing anything. I just looked dark to them. They'll have to come out, but luckily the guy I talked to was able to get someone to come out today in the evening and that there would be no charge. He said he could do that because it was a problem with their equipment (even though I told the previous reps the exact same info, only difference now is that the box has power).
metalunna
join:2003-06-16
Clifton, NJ

metalunna to onlynone

to onlynone
Reminded me of the National Lampoons Christmas Movie when Clarks wife hits the light switch and the house lights up....and when the Ark opens up in "Raiders" and the guy screams, "It's Beautiful!"

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

Hopefully the fiber terminal is not full

mushmouth
join:2001-12-13
Earth

mushmouth

said by tito79:

Hopefully the fiber terminal is not full

Op said there was a network light on ont.
These things happen, not a bad idea to have somebody come out and ground your ont anyway.
The only issue they may run in to is hopefully the tech has a just inside unit on them if they need to swap it out, if not you may get an outside ont if they can't get their hands on one.
onlynone
United State

onlynone

What's the difference between an inside and outside ont (please don't say "one is placed inside and one is placed outside"). If there's a spot inside for it (where the current one is), why not just use it? Is there something about an outside ont that prevents it from working inside?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The inside ONTs will usually have everything integrated into one, slightly smaller box. For example, the 1000-GJ2 is pretty compact.

The outdoor/exterior ONTs either come as multiple boxes (ONT, battery backup, and PSU separately) or some kind of modular design where the pieces can be separated. This is so that the power supply stuff can go indoors while the ONT itself remains outdoors. You can have an exterior ONT installed indoors - there's nothing that would prevent that from happening. The interior ONTs just make more sense when installing inside anyway.

There's a third class of ONT, desktop ONTs. These are really tiny and usually installed in apartment buildings.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

In addition to Thinkdiff's comments, outdoor ONTs have cases designed to protect the electronics from the elements; rain, snow, cold, heat, e.t.c. Indoor ONTs will not stand up as well to constant exposure even though the electronics inside are often identical to the outdoor units.

The advantage of outdoor ONTs is that access points to coax and telephone are often on the outside wall and near each other. In many cases, installation is easier with an outdoor ONT.

Personally, I prefer an indoor installation as I don't like active electronics exposed to the elements. Plus, an indoor installation makes maintenance easier, especially when it's cold and dark outside.

Good Luck.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to gs0b

to gs0b
said by gs0b:

My guess is the owner canceled FiOS. At some point the ONT was beeping due to a bad battery and the owner couldn't figure out the right way to make it stop, so he cut the cord.

And the battery has probably seen better days. From the scuff marks it looks like it was dragged across a concrete floor. I'm also guessing it's a cheap refurb, where the rebuilder glued it back together and smeared some black paint over the cap and around the existing label.
Jonasjlp
join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA

Jonasjlp to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
yeah, because VZ says green ground for indoor use, US ACTUALLY techs only use green.

sjfiostech
join:2008-07-29
Medford, NJ

sjfiostech to onlynone

to onlynone
The part that bothers me, is that they should have NEVER sent a self install kit if the system was unable to verify the ONT was "up" and doing it's thing.

Make sure you watch your first bill to make sure that they do not bill you from your original install date but from the day it actually started to work.
onlynone
United State

onlynone

That really bothered me too. While I was on the phone the second time, the rep said that they'd have to send someone to the house because they couldn't contact the ONT. Well, if you can't contact the ONT, then don't send me the self install kit. And even if you accidentally do that (the rep said that their sales database might have had outdated information), then the first rep I talk to on the phone should have known what to do.

Anyway, the tech came while I was out, around 10am, even though the notes on my call said I was only available after 6pm. Luckily the nanny was home and could let him in. I was a little hesitant because I wanted to be there while he was doing stuff. I didn't want to come home to to a new ONT bolted on somewhere I didn't want and wires all over the place.

Luckily, when I came home I couldn't really see any differences in the wiring and we had the same ONT in the same location. Only now more of the lights on the ONT were on and/or blinking and we had TV and internet. Strangely, our nanny said that the tech didn't seem to know what he was doing and was on the phone the whole time.

I noticed that the "replace battery" light on the outside of the ONT was red. I looked at the battery and one of the terminals wasn't hooked up. I was able to easily slide on the lead and the red light turned off... I don't know what the deal with that is.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

said by onlynone:

I noticed that the "replace battery" light on the outside of the ONT was red. I looked at the battery and one of the terminals wasn't hooked up. I was able to easily slide on the lead and the red light turned off... I don't know what the deal with that is.

The tech probably disconnected the terminal to power cycle the ONT at some point and forgot to reconnect it.
sneakaround
join:2001-06-19
Staten Island, NY

sneakaround to onlynone

to onlynone
It wasn't that he didn't know what he was doing, it was what needed to be done needed to be done on the back end. There was nothing the tech COULD do except to make a call to get everything provisioned correctly because everything was already correct in the field.
sneakaround

sneakaround to Jonasjlp

to Jonasjlp
said by Jonasjlp:

yeah, because VZ says green ground for indoor use, US ACTUALLY techs only use green

After 5 days I still don't know exactly what this post means but I am assuming that it means that techs only use green wire for grounding. Since I have been a tech throughout my career I can remember a time when there was only grey wire available for grounding at Verizon and I remember when there was both green and grey available for grounding and of course I remember the M&P stating how to use the different colors.
onlynone
United State

onlynone to sneakaround

to sneakaround
If that were true (and I'm not saying it's not), then the phone tech I talked to didn't know what he was doing because he said he was unable to see my ONT from his side at all, and that every remote command he tried issuing wasn't working.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

Most likely the front end phone support can only communicate with properly provisioned equipment. Since the ONT wasn't provisioned, the phone support person couldn't talk to it. It took a visit by a tech to call into the provisioning folks (who we customers can't talk to) to read them the ID codes from the ONT. It was probably a long call because they stayed on the phone until everything was working.