Search similar:

uniqs
bradjmarr
join:2015-01-14

1 edit

bradjmarr

[HVAC] Bryant - model 350mav - need help on c wire - wifi therm

Click for full size
Hello - I have a Bryant natural gas furnace and need some help getting a c wire hooked up for a new wifi thermostat. On the furnace, I don't have something labeled c, but it is "com 24 v". I am assuming this is my c terminal but want to verify. I have two wires connected there (both red) but are not going to the thermostat. I think they're going to a plug that turns on and off my furnace. Anyway, I want to get a c wire and thinking I can just take an extra thermostat wire and connect to the terminal in question that I believe is the common wire. Further, I would have a total of 3 wires on that terminal after connecting.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Attached is a picture. Thanks!

Termites
@cox.net

Termites

Anon

[HVAC] Re: Bryant - model 350mav - need help on c wire - wifi therm

In most cases, a wiring diagram can be located inside the HVAC unit. Typically, it will be on the inside of the access cover.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to bradjmarr

MVM

to bradjmarr
»Re: New honeywell thermostat C wire

Termites
@cox.net

Termites

Anon

Also

»www.
youtube.com/watch?v=iXquA-LiI5w
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ to bradjmarr

to bradjmarr
Does anyone else feel like we need a "Find my C wire" subform?

It feels like we get asked this 5 times a month or more...

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

I posted a thread with some good links. Maybe somebody will sticky it.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

coxta to bradjmarr

Premium Member

to bradjmarr
I have a c-wire. What I want is a thermostat that I can access via the Internet and not have to go through an outside host. Wifi would be nice but it's not essential.

This thing is, I don't like the idea of having someone else having control over my my HVAC. Google wants to control you entire house and I'm not inclined to give them that capability.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned)

Glad to see someone finally take on NEST.

I'd never put their "cloud" based garbage in my house. Sure, today, there is no subscription fee... but a simple software update and your NEST brand smoke alarm might be forced to ping Google when it detects smoke to make sure your account is in good standing before it sounds the siren......

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy:

I'd never put their "cloud" based garbage in my house. Sure, today, there is no subscription fee... but a simple software update and your NEST brand smoke alarm might be forced to ping Google when it detects smoke to make sure your account is in good standing before it sounds the siren......

A natural disaster can hit and render every home improvement I've made moot too, but yet I still improve. Life's way too short to worry constantly about what might happen.

If Nest starts fleecing people for monthly fees for the existing functionality, I'll just put my Z-wave thermostat back on. It probably won't though, imagine the false advertising lawsuits.

My Vera Z-wave controller also uses a "cloud" type connection, but I can also connect to it directly if the company goes belly-up. Cloud type connections are common because they're the most foolproof way of offering control of stuff behind people's firewalls.

My HVAC has been internet-controllable for a good 7 years now. It's nice to be able to have the house at the temperature I want it when I get home. I really think nefarious people have better and more interesting things to do than diddle with my temperature settings.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

I really think nefarious people have better and more interesting things to do than diddle with my temperature settings.

While I do agree it's very unlikely, flipping the A/C on in the winter could potentially cause compressor damage and water pipes to freeze.