uniqs
madeitog
join:2013-08-10
Romney, WV

1 edit

madeitog

Upgrades Eastern WV(Hampshire County)

Speed Test
Yes, I called Frontier's service line last week and asked if there is any upgrades in my area! About 7 miles back from Romney, on Jersey Mtn. She said yes, I could get 12megs bonded! Well, for last couple years they always said I could get faster internet so I didn't get my hopes up. The Tech came out and said yes, They Ran Fiber From 3 Churches All the way to Romney. This is my stat's as of right now.

I did not take the bonded. Tech said he would have to run a whole another pair and etc. I'm fine with 9 megs.

Getting around 19 ping which is great.

Transceiver Revision 4.4.9.13.1.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 9116 763
Margin (dB) 12.1 22.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 35.3 20.2
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.2 12.4
FEC Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 685 14
CRC Errors 179 0

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Pretty impressive, your Frontier area was ex-GTE and was never destroyed by Verizon as it was sold in the early 90's. On drives through Hampshire you see tons of GTE signs still.

I take it this means Frontier's investment in W.VA is indeed not going absolutely nowhere like it seems.
bamaraid
join:2007-11-12
Shanks, WV

bamaraid to madeitog

to madeitog
Yeah a month back mine got upgraded from 1.3 down to 3.7 down and 192 down to 443 down and im on route 50 in shanks. Only problem my CO is located in Augusta. Maybe they plan more upgrades around the area I hope.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

I hope they upgrade more around the area, but not where we go back in congestion. Anybody have a idea how much the switch is putting out with fiber?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Guess it all depends upon which side of town you are located in.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

Hank what are your speeds?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

1344/197
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

That's not bad, its just weird to me that where I'm located (Middle of nowhere) basically if you compare me to people next to route 50 getting 3 megs but they can give me 10 megs? Just doesn't make sense in my eyes! I'm not upset about at all, just don't understand why would they do that!

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

The only reason would be distance from the remote terminal/DSLAM. The funny thing is that people right on the outskirts of town will see worse speeds with DSL than people in nowhere as those closer to the CO are more likely to be fed right out of it.

Placement of a remote terminal is based on a few factors:

-Location of existing copper loop facilities (Crossbox, Splice points)
-Number of loops that could be shortened (Many cables in one location)
-Future Construction/Incoming Construction requiring new lines

The goal of telephone companies (that are responsible) for decades now has been to shorten the copper loop and get rid of hideous 3mi+ long loops.

madeitog, if your wondering how a remote terminal looks here are some pics:

Recent fiber fed RT in a new subdivision outside of Charles Town, WV ex-GTE- yes Frontier still puts new copper in the ground (why, I have no idea, they should be doing FTTH in greenfield).

Fiber Fed RT, Bluemont VA. VZ territory, no DSL in that entire CO - they (VZ) are so disgustingly cheap. As a note, the presence of a RT does not promise DSL availability. In many cases they are POTS only. Brown box is the crossbox.

Western Electric SLC-96. The oldest RT you will see in the wild - developed in the 70's! Fed by 5 copper T-1's, no DSL capability possible. This one is in VZ territory outside of Berryville. Probably put in by C&P Telephone way back when.

Happy lawn fridge hunting...
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

Thanks for that, We got switch about 2 miles/ road wise. So it could be closer line wise. I'm very happy going 1 meg for years to what I'm getting now. Now, if everyone switches to the higher speeds, would congestion happen maybe even if its fiber fed?

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

It all depends on the backhaul out - so if there is no problem locally at the CO (everything modern, nice fast fiber circuits to the remotes) the problem would be up ahead - the connections out of the CO, Frontier's internet peering.

I would hope all that money Frontier has been getting has been going into their backbone in W.VA which has historically been very weak.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

I hope so ! Guess only time can tell

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
There have been a couple issues with the backhaul out of Romney over the last year. It takes a rather snake like route to Charlestown then into Ashburn. Most of the problems have been between Romney and Paw Paw. Not sure if they have increased the capacity of that run or not. Big problem in most areas of this region is that the haul from the remote to the customer are congested and/or just plain old with poor maintenance. Some populated areas in the Jefferson County still have T1's feeding them.

Whether the area was previously owned by Verizon or part of the Citizen Communications (GTE) areas is a moot point, as both have an equal amount of issues.
atigerman
join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI

atigerman to madeitog

to madeitog
So the only thing holding me back bandwidth wise is getting my line mode changed to ADSL_2plus, being i have a higher Margin and Lower Line Attenuation...... Being i'm out of a RT, what does it take hardware wise from frontiers point of view. Anyone have an idea?

Transceiver Revision 4.4.9.13.1.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3712 448
Margin (dB) 31.2 31.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 21.9 8.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.1 12.3
bamaraid
Shanks, WV

bamaraid to madeitog

to madeitog
hey I called today said I can get 24/1 now in my area so next tuesday 17th feb I will see and its VDSL and they will bring an actiontech router so crosing fingers

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

I hope you do get that speed. Are you sure it is VDSL?
bamaraid
Shanks, WV

bamaraid

yes I asked so if i can get it you should be able to also hank

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Unfortunately my area cannot, we do good to keep a circuit at the speed I mentioned above. Hope everything works out for you.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to atigerman

Premium Member

to atigerman
Could be your RT is already oversubscribed. Yes, your physical line would handle a 6-7 Mbps circuit on ADSL(1), easy. Probably 12+ Mbps on ADSL2+

Your RT may or may not be ADSL2+ ready, and even if it is, if its backhaul is oversubscribed, the link back to the CO/the rest of the world may not have enough bandwidth left to upgrade you beyond 3 Mbps

While it often is, it is not always the link from the DSLAM to the Modem that is the bottleneck on a xDSL circuit
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
FTTN in Greenfields...2015...*sigh* That DSLAM cabinet looks pretty similar to the ALP-248s used for U-Verse, but not quite the exact same

I can't say its exclusive to Frontier. It *rarely* happens in AT&T-land still, but does. I still occasionally see new subdivisions/new houses with Copper. See new business areas with Greenfield Copper, too.

And there are FTTP hoods out there that are 8+ years old now in AT&T-land.

It doesn't always make sense...
bamaraid
Shanks, WV

1 edit

bamaraid to madeitog

to madeitog
Got a call from the tech today at 9am said be there in about and hour and a half its now 1:33pm 4 hours later and still nothing still waiting sighs

edit: now its 2:53pm just got a call back saying 24/1 is not available in my area at this time just my luck

landrover
join:2013-09-17
Martinsburg, WV

landrover

That happened to me. Took off work and waited all day to finally be told 24/1 isn't available.
said by bamaraid:

Got a call from the tech today at 9am said be there in about and hour and a half its now 1:33pm 4 hours later and still nothing still waiting sighs

edit: now its 2:53pm just got a call back saying 24/1 is not available in my area at this time just my luck

frontiertech
@frontier.com

frontiertech to atigerman

Anon

to atigerman
getting your type changed to adsl 2plus is easy (if the dslam can do it) any tech can have that changed with a call to assignment
frontiertech

frontiertech to Hank

Anon

to Hank
FYI

The backhaul for Hampshire co goes to martinsburg not Charlestown anymore.. they made martinsburg one of the main exit points of the state has 5 countys of dsl going throw it. the pipes to ashburn are 10 gig pipes (several) they are leased mostly from zayo corp.. then from ashburn all traffic goes to level 3 communcations..

Metro E call leaves martinsburg and goes to Clarksburg WV

Also good news they are in the process of completing a NEW bras router MX480 by juniper has a lot on it already but the dslams will use Ethernet in stead of ATM (MUCH FASTER!!!)

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

You're correct Martinsburg is now the exit point, it was changed this past summer. I do appreciate the information you have provided. The upgrades are all well and good, but it is not going to have much of an impact on the service to my neighborhood. Unless Frontier actually intends to upgrade the Meadow Lands DSLAM and the infrastructure between it and our area. So do they intend to upgrade our DSLAM and infrastructure? If so, our local service manager and GM are not aware of it. I see I am being charged a $1.50 per month for improvements that to date have not improved mine or my neighborhoods reliability/service.

Why don't you register you DSLReports account? Registering does have several benefits, i.e. IM's.

frontiertech
@frontier.com

frontiertech

Anon

there is one argument you could use to get them upgrade your dslam... If there is no "cable internet" near by then frontier can apply for CAF funding from the government.

Your GM needs to talk to your local Engineering group to get a route order made and summited for funding.

but down side if you can't get CAF money... Construction/Engineering budget has been cut this year by 35%

Also they seems to be installing nothing but Adtrans 5000's or 1248's both are great units and relieable

Wish you the best of luck

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

Thanks for the response, but all those suggestions have been made to the GM and others. Based on posts in this forum, there often appears to be little, if any, interest in upgrading the local infrastructure. Suggesting that getting damaged infrastructure replaced/repaired can be a full-time effort throughout WV. Many would say to you that the construction/engineering cut is due to the fact that they keep procuring additional areas and the money is needed to integrate those areas into the Frontier network and to offset the cost of the initial procurement. Frontier here in WV is acutely aware they can apply for CAF. I think the real question is do they really want to accept the terms of CAF. It boils down to one simple thing, is Frontier really interested in providing reliable service at the speed customers pay for in the rural areas. It's Frontier's ballpark.

landrover
join:2013-09-17
Martinsburg, WV

landrover to frontiertech

to frontiertech
Are there any plans to replace existing ancient SLC5's? The one where I'm staying now is fiber fed, but due to it being an SLC5 is equivalent to a DS3. No chance of getting anything faster than 3, and congestion has set in.

frontiertech
@frontier.com

frontiertech

Anon

the answer is YES and NO... In most cases they are keeping the series 5 SLC or SLC 96 or Litespan for the pots and using a adtran 1248 or 5000 in a "overlay" meaning the ports are hard wired to the SLC ports.

Some places they will remove the whole SLC and use "combo cards" in the adtran 5000 to provide both dsl and dailtone (pots).

Either way the new dslam are either fiber feed (sky is the limit) or at lest a OC-3.

Can't speak directly about Jefferson co . They are what the company calls "Legacy" frontier but the newer engineering models are now the same company wide
frontiertech

frontiertech to landrover

Anon

to landrover
one of your local Engineer is Jimmy Snell