Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

[DVR] QoS for MRDVR

Click for full size
Home LAN.pdf
2,307,910 bytes
Hi all -

I've seen some oddball issues with the MRDVR functionality and wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with QoS for MRDVR.

Long story short - I was watching an HD program on one DVR which was recorded on another. All was fine until I started a replication from my Synology NAS out to a remote NAS. Immediately upon the start of the transfer, I had pixellation and breakups on the MRDVR playback. When I stopped the replication, the picture cleared up. I could do this repeatedly.

Even if I exhausted my upstream bandwidth (I know I didn't - I have a 75/75mbit connection but the remote site is 25/25) - why would that impact DVR-to-DVR transfers?

Could this be a limitation on the Actiontec Rev I? Does anyone have a way I can see CPU/memory/network resources on the AT to see if it's starved during the transfer?

Thinking I may order the new Quantum gateway to see if that solves the issue - but does anyone know if the Quantum gateway supports VLANs?

Attached is a quick diagram of the home LAN .... net-net, the upload was from the Synology NAS out to another FiOS home, while I was watching an HD program DVR-to-DVR.

Thanks!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by dennismurphy:

does anyone know if the Quantum gateway supports VLANs?

It does not at this time.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
Hi dennis,
This is what I call a head banger. In theory land, with gigabit equipment, I don't see how your network would get saturated, but that is what appears to be happening. Does this only occur when you are doing a remote backup? Can you reproduce this behavior by simply using a PC or PC's to transfer a large amount of data to your NAS while using the same DVR setup?
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
Something doesn't make sense.
If you were viewing a show on a STB that was recorded on DVR, it should never leave the local COAX connection. And I would think not even hit the Router.
So I don't understand how a transfer out to the Internet would affect it.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to fcfc2

Premium Member

to fcfc2
said by fcfc2:

Hi dennis,
This is what I call a head banger. In theory land, with gigabit equipment, I don't see how your network would get saturated, but that is what appears to be happening. Does this only occur when you are doing a remote backup? Can you reproduce this behavior by simply using a PC or PC's to transfer a large amount of data to your NAS while using the same DVR setup?

Actually, yes, I was able to reproduce it by starting a large upload from my laptop. It was connected to the R6700 WAP over 802.11ac. Very bizarre which makes me think it's a CPU or bandwidth saturation issue in the Actiontec.

I went ahead and ordered the Quantum Gateway today. I'm disappointed it doesn't support VLANs as I use that functionality in the summer for my outdoor guest access point but it's not a show-stopper.

Let's see if the behavior changes with the new gateway. I can deal with the lack of VLANs later by getting creative on the HP switch and putting a separate port in the DMZ on the Gateway.
fcfc2

fcfc2

said by dennismurphy:

Very bizarre which makes me think it's a CPU or bandwidth saturation issue in the Actiontec.

At this point, I would have to agree with your thinking. Unless you have something strange with your main switch, it seems like the Rev I is the most likely choke point. If switching to the new G1100 does not resolve the issue, I don't know what will. If it does, then the "advanced" Rev I may be even less advanced then we already know. Do let us know.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by fcfc2:

said by dennismurphy:

Very bizarre which makes me think it's a CPU or bandwidth saturation issue in the Actiontec.

At this point, I would have to agree with your thinking. Unless you have something strange with your main switch, it seems like the Rev I is the most likely choke point. If switching to the new G1100 does not resolve the issue, I don't know what will. If it does, then the "advanced" Rev I may be even less advanced then we already know. Do let us know.

Given that the MoCA data should never transit the HP switches at all, even if the 1810 switch were screwed, I couldn't imagine how it could affect MRDVR playback.

Looks like the gateway shipped yesterday for delivery today; hopefully I'll get a chance to swap it out and play around tonight and let you know.

The other thing I'm thinking about doing is pulling the QIP2500 off the network altogether and rebooting all the STB's and router. That should push things to a MoCA 1.1 mesh instead of a 1.0.

The other issue I have now is that I can't find the danged MoCA stats page on the AT... What am I missing? I remember it used to be on this page somewhere, but where the heck is it?
fcfc2

fcfc2

said by dennismurphy:

The other issue I have now is that I can't find the danged MoCA stats page on the AT... What am I missing? I remember it used to be on this page somewhere, but where the heck is it?

Try this,
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I check MOCA stats?

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

Did that - it's the screenshot above. Can't find the "coax stats" link on that page - am I missing it, or is it missing in action?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

For MOCA LAN stats from the above page:
In the network H/O column, click on Ethernet/Coax
That brings up the Ethernet/Coax properties page.
On That page, click on settings.
Just above the listing of the switch ports, there is a link that says "Go to LAN Coax Stats".

I'll update the FAQ.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by More Fiber:

For MOCA LAN stats from the above page:
In the network H/O column, click on Ethernet/Coax
That brings up the Ethernet/Coax properties page.
On That page, click on settings.
Just above the listing of the switch ports, there is a link that says "Go to LAN Coax Stats".

I'll update the FAQ.

Ahh, there it is! THANK YOU - I kept skimming past that link ... oops.

Anywho, I don't see anything there completely out of whack. So we'll see once the new gateway arrives.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

From the router (first col) to device 6, you have a rate of 182. That's borderline unacceptable. Device 7 is also marginal.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff to dennismurphy

MVM,

to dennismurphy
Also, I seem to remember one of the VZ techs around here stating that you should keep the IP range to 192.168.1.0/24. Not sure it was nycdave See Profile, but might've been somebody in the VZ Direct forum (so take it with a grain of salt maybe). If it doesn't hinder your setup too much, might be worth a shot changing your addressing scheme to see if maybe there's some QoS settings that are hard coded to that range.

That being said, I doubt it will help. I'd also suspect the router itself versus any QoS settings (which are usually only WAN to LAN or LAN to WAN).

If the new router doesn't work, you'd probably be able to fix the problem by breaking the domains - use your current Actiontec as just a MoCA to Ethernet converter and the Quantum Gateway as your main router (connected via CAT5 to the ONT only. No MoCA). The only connections on the Actiontec would be the Coax and a LAN cable back to the Quantum Gateway. If you still get pixelation, then something is really wrong.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

1 edit

dennismurphy to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

From the router (first col) to device 6, you have a rate of 182. That's borderline unacceptable. Device 7 is also marginal.

Yeah, those two are on a second splitter and garbage wire. Spare bedroom and workout room TV's - one is the 2500 the other is a 7100. Not overly concerned; been meaning to recable those but ...

The two DVR's in question are home-run connections to the 'new' coax plant, all quad shield copper core with compression fittings; they're clean.

Now, as for IP ranges ... I would be super-PO'd if I couldn't use an alternate IP range. I do it this way because the remote Synology is setup as an OpenVPN client on a remote FiOS install. To avoid IP conflicts and routing issues, I'd have to set it up in bridged mode instead and I don't want to do that. I want this at the other end of a tunnel, not bridged to my LAN.

edit: I tried rebooting the MI424WR; no luck - still problematic. The Gateway is here; I'm letting it acclimate to temperature (it was cold sitting on the porch) and we'll give that a try tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your input -- we'll figure this out eventually.