Do you know where ?
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by TwiztedZero:

Well I guess with all these "stores" closing including the very recent Tiger Direct PC stores in Canada ... Canadians will be expected to hump over the border for their "shopping" anymore. Everything up here seems to be on a liquidation spree.

Tiger Direct is almost totally gone in the US as well. It's been a dead man walking for a long time.

And as you know Radio Shack (another zombie) is rapidly vanishing in the US. So it is not just a Canadian thing.

Target in the US is in severe difficulty. They face some tough years ahead, if they survive at all in their present name and form.

Staples---Office Max---Office Depot, merging to one company.

Even WalMart has lots of problems now.

The "internet" is a tough competitor.

And this whole situation is not unique to Canada.

(Bad business decisions always make it worse. "Hey Harry, let's start a store that sells bikinis in a place with lots of snow and few beaches!)

The internet isn't a tough competitor, it is their bread and gravy. These corporations have realized us sheep are willing to pay the same retail price on their websites as in store for the convenience of never leaving home, meaning that save for warehousing and shipping costs (which are usually borne by the buyer for smaller and oversized orders), the company has much lower overhead while charging the same amount.

It doesn't matter if Target is physically located in Canada, their US site is still available to us. Future Shop and best buy realized having two stores in the same locations was redundant and Tiger Direct can sell online too for the same amount.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

TSC and other retailers still have LED bulbs on sale in Ontario till the end of April, use the energy coupon to safe five bucks.

They are weird looking but they work and are brighter than a CFL and turn on instantly. The only thing that concerns me is they don't have much of a heat sink, most other LED bulbs have a metal heatsink (often with fins) to buck heat which keeps the LED within a safe temperature to operate. I think in the case of these flat bulbs they expect to dumb heat byway of its flat and thin surface.

Big heatsink are becoming less of a requirement as the LED efficiency of today is orders of magnitude greater than the older units, thus put out much less heat and more light per watt consumed. The CRI is much better on modern LED lamps too and it is approaching incandescent levels to the point where most cant see the difference. Infact it is well beyond CFL bulbs to the point where CFL's look awful to me anymore. Taking photos under LED lighting is much easier too when it comes to colour temperature matching, unlike fluorescent.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

TSC and other retailers still have LED bulbs on sale in Ontario till the end of April, use the energy coupon to safe five bucks.

They are weird looking but they work and are brighter than a CFL and turn on instantly. The only thing that concerns me is they don't have much of a heat sink, most other LED bulbs have a metal heatsink (often with fins) to buck heat which keeps the LED within a safe temperature to operate. I think in the case of these flat bulbs they expect to dumb heat byway of its flat and thin surface.

yea, they have the coupons at Costco as well...pretty good deals on their LED bulbs if you need some.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to Bender2000

to Bender2000
Canadian Tire Corp to buy 12 Target property leases....

»news.yahoo.com/canadian- ··· YwNzYw--
bobnoxe
join:2015-03-30
fiji

bobnoxe

Now this is a chain that should just fold up and die.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Bender2000

MVM

to Bender2000
I'm not sure why Canadian Tire bought the Target lease in Alexis Nihon. Canadian Tire already has a store in the building directly *above* the Target (which is in the basement)

I see two possibilities:

1) They intend to turn their store into a two-storey store, and will build stairs/escalators/whatever between the current Canadian Tire and the Target underneath it.

2) They intend to move from their current space to the larger Target space.

What's confusing is that the Canadian Tire never struck me as needing any more space. My guess is they'll go with option 2, because the Target was a bunch bigger, but not THAT much bigger, while option 1 would just be an absurd amount of space.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

I'm not sure why Canadian Tire bought the Target lease in Alexis Nihon. Canadian Tire already has a store in the building directly *above* the Target (which is in the basement)

I see two possibilities:

1) They intend to turn their store into a two-storey store, and will build stairs/escalators/whatever between the current Canadian Tire and the Target underneath it.

2) They intend to move from their current space to the larger Target space.

Or keep a competitor out of the building.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Canadian Tire owns a lot more than just Canadian Tire. A number of sporting goods brands as well as Mark's. Any of those could be going in.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

There is already a Sports Experts in the building (which is owned by Canadian Tire), and the new Target space is like 5x or 6x the size of that, I don't think there's a Sports Experts anywhere in Canada as large as the old Target space.

I don't think they'd move in mark's, there are already a lot of clothing stores in the building, some boutique, including a Winners.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

What's confusing is that the Canadian Tire never struck me as needing any more space. My guess is they'll go with option 2, because the Target was a bunch bigger, but not THAT much bigger, while option 1 would just be an absurd amount of space.

CT also owns Mark's/L'equipeur, SportChek, Sports Experts, Atmosphere, and a few other chains. They'll likely use some of the space for those other banners.
corster

corster to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

There is already a Sports Experts in the building (which is owned by Canadian Tire), and the new Target space is like 5x or 6x the size of that, I don't think there's a Sports Experts anywhere in Canada as large as the old Target space.

If the Target lease has better financial terms, certainly possible that they give up some of their other space in the building.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Canadian Tire Corp to buy 12 Target property leases....

»news.yahoo.com/canadian- ··· YwNzYw--

I bet they are going to expand their "Showcase Store" concept. They have one location in Toronto (Leaside).

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to corster

to corster
said by corster:

CT also owns Mark's/L'equipeur, SportChek, Sports Experts, Atmosphere, and a few other chains. They'll likely use some of the space for those other banners.

At one point I read Mark's was making money hand over fist for CT.

FaxCap

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by FaxCap:

said by corster:

FaxCap

makes sense...the clothing market is highly profitable...i have some clothing from them and find their products to be decent quality, well priced, and they stand behind their products.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

years ago there was stairs between the spaced, miracle mart was originally 3 floors. they closed the top floor and it became the first ikea store in quebec (now closed)

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by FaxCap:

said by corster:

FaxCap

makes sense...the clothing market is highly profitable...i have some clothing from them and find their products to be decent quality, well priced, and they stand behind their products.

I find that store to be extremely overpriced and don't go there.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

2 recommendations

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

overpriced??...maybe compared to Walmart, sure...i got some really decent dress/work pants there for $50...that isn't overpriced...overpriced is the stores in the malls where the ripped up jeans are $180.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

2 recommendations

ekster to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
Not sure what kind of stores or prices you guys have in Ontario, but considering the quality, Mark's is one of the cheapest stores for clothes that won't fall apart after 3 days over here.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to Last Parade

to Last Parade
Marks certainly costs more than clothing at Walmart and the like, but the quality is much higher.
My wife gets her scrubs there, and they last 3-4 times as long as scrubs from Walmart. They cost twice as much, but still better off.

I got there too for some high-usage clothing, and boots.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
I do most of my clothes shopping at Mark's. It's one of the few places with my size in stock where I don't break the bank.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Bender2000

Premium Member

to Bender2000
Mark's is very good value. Given the quality of the clothing it is great. My wife likes their women's wrinkle resistant dress shirts. She is fussy.
bobnoxe
join:2015-03-30
fiji

bobnoxe to GreenEnvy22

to GreenEnvy22
said by GreenEnvy22:

Marks certainly costs more than clothing at Walmart and the like, but the quality is much higher.
My wife gets her scrubs there, and they last 3-4 times as long as scrubs from Walmart. They cost twice as much, but still better off.

I got there too for some high-usage clothing, and boots.

Funny you bring that up, I was putting on a pair of Wrangler "dress pants" this morning and noticed that the seams between the outside and inside waist was coming apart.

These pants can't be more then 6-9 months old, and are already falling apart. It makes me wonder if Walmart demands the vendors make a "cheap" version of their clothes.

A logic I fail to understand, if you cheapen the quality of your product for the Walmart market, yes you get a boost in sales, but at the same time you are damaging your brand, house brands, MEH, but a brand name?

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by bobnoxe:

It makes me wonder if Walmart demands the vendors make a "cheap" version of their clothes.

They do exactly that. For almost everything.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

said by Ian1:

said by bobnoxe:

It makes me wonder if Walmart demands the vendors make a "cheap" version of their clothes.

They do exactly that. For almost everything.

The sure do. Levis Signature at Walmart are crap, as an example.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Bender2000

Premium Member

to Bender2000
The lease they (CT) picked up at our Sudbury Walmart is genius for them.

They had purchased a large tract of land and were going to build a HUGE CT in the coming years.

But now, why do that when someone has already paid millions of dollars as they completely demolished our Zellers when Target bought it and the store itself isn't more than a year old and its huge and its ready for tenancy...the CT sits about 500 feet away from the Target location so it wouldn't be much of a cost to move
inventory and whatnot over and have everything in place.

So again CT is a very shrewd organization and again a genius move on their part as they've saved millions and millions in development fees and other associated costs and get a basically brand new building that RioCan (owners of the building) probably would have sat on it for a long long long time because there is no other need to have retail in this area.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to Bender2000

to Bender2000
Look at TV models at BestBuy, etc....many "made for us" model numbers.
They pick a price point and Samsung, LG, etc will do a run for them and give it it's
own model number.

FaxCap
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by FaxCap:

ook at TV models at BestBuy, etc....many "made for us" model numbers.

My uncle used to sell electronics at sears, he said sears did it to make price matchin impossible
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Bender2000

Premium Member

to Bender2000
Walmart has picked up 12 of the locations now.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000

Premium Member

13, plus a distribution centre.

»www.cbc.ca/news/business ··· .3066182