ErRoR0
Premium Member
join:2002-10-26
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

Limit my sons internet usage

Hey guys/gals,
I'm trying to find a good way to shut down my sons internet around 7pm at night and start it back up around 4pm the next day. His grades are slipping in school and i know it's because he stays up way too late with his iPod in bed. Yes, i know i could simply take it away from him, but shutting down the net would be just as good because that's what he's using on it.

I have a linksys wireless router that i use for both our computers. Is there a way to stop his connection in the router, or maybe a windows setting in his computer that i could password so he couldn't override it? He's 13 and pretty computer savvy. How can i get done?

Thanks everyone for any advice,
Eric

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Most modern routers have a way to set time limits (hours that it can't be used)...basically the jist would be:

1. secure the router with an admin password and dont let him know it

you would then either setup time restrictions based on the mac address of his devices OR you would setup static dhcp ip's for his devices and do the time restrictions that way.

What model of linksys is it?

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

E900

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Main support page for the linksys is here:

»support.linksys.com/en-u ··· ers/E900

Looks like this is important (seems they have remote admin turned on by default, eep):

»kb.linksys.com/Linksys/u ··· ware.xml

Ok back to the task at hand this link should help, the function you are after is the "parental controls":

»kb.linksys.com/Linksys/u ··· &slnid=3

Remember the key is to keep router admin password secret, otherwise he can jump in there and remove the restrictions

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to ErRoR0

to ErRoR0
My Linksys 1900 has a nice interface that allows shutting off each connected device individually at specific time frames. I haven't tried it but looks very simple.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0 to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
Click for full size
mine doesn't have an access policy?

edit: maybe i need to buy another one?
ErRoR0

ErRoR0 to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
Yeah i agree. I'll never tell him the password. After having a talk with his teachers this morning, i think he knows i mean business now. He did not like it at all...lol

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

You need to take the toys away, he can just connected via wifi to a neighbors network and no mater what you setup, he will likely find a way round it

Make it a reward to have such devices, like to good grades

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

1 recommendation

neonhomer to ErRoR0

Premium Member

to ErRoR0
I do the same thing at my house. My oldest son spends too much time at night on his Nintendo DS watching videos, so I have my router set up to turn off the wifi to that device at 9pm, and then it comes on again at 8am...

What helps this to work is that I've worked with my neighbors to secure their wireless networks. Now there is no random WiFi access points for him to connect to.

He has a cell phone, and the wifi gets turned off on that too. Yeah, he has a cellular connection, but it sucks inside the house, so it's basically useless.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3 to ErRoR0

Premium Member

to ErRoR0
Tomato firmware has this option and can be loaded on a variety of routers. I have ours set to shut down the kids access early on school nights and shut down later on weekend nights.

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

1 recommendation

Weirdal to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

You need to take the toys away, he can just connected via wifi to a neighbors network and no mater what you setup, he will likely find a way round it

Make it a reward to have such devices, like to good grades

Assuming your neighbors aren't idiots with unsecured wifi (seriously, it's 2015), shutting off his internet access at the source will be VERY effective at keeping him offline. And if your neighbors do have unsecured wifi, it's pretty easy to convince them to secure it.

Taking his device away will only lead to him spending $50 on a cheap-ass tablet or something and keeping it hidden. Or borrowing a friend's old phone or something else. There are a million ways he could get online without his ipod, but there are zero ways if internet access is shut off.

Not to mention the OP said he has a computer in his room. He will need the computer to do homework, most likely, so you can' take that away.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

1 recommendation

ErRoR0

Premium Member

i bought a new router with parental controls...alls good now. thanks for all the help

battleop
join:2005-09-28

2 recommendations

battleop to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
This (i.e. parenting) is the correct answer. I just have my son leave his DS/iPhone/iPad on the kitchen counter charging.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

i got the wireless network parental control working for his computer, but his ipod and ipad still works. I konw i can take em away from him but it's more fun to just have the net go off at a time i set. The new router works like a charm for the computer, the other 2 still can connect. is there and app to shut down wireless connections and a time set by me?

Thanks guys,
Eric

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by ErRoR0:

is there and app to shut down wireless connections and a time set by me?

What router did you get?

If you got another linksys, I think the trick is you need to add the restriction while its online. I think it might not show up in the list of devices if it's sleeping or offline.

Try the screen for adding it while you know they are in use or grab the devices and open a youtube video or something that will give it activity so you can see it in the list and set restrictions for it.

If that doesn't work reply back, you might need to create some static entries for the device(s), be sure to mention what make/model of new router you picked up.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

Linksys N300 is what i got. the parental controls works great but only one the computers on the network. now i'm trying to cut the wireless off all together at the same time his computer on the networks net goes off....

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Check the model, N300 is just saying 802.11N and 300mbps.

The model will be something like E1200 or E900 etc.

It should work.. but the key is the device has to be actively connected to the router at the time, or it wont even show up on the list for you to restrict it.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

i'm sorry. E1200 is model number

Edit: I've gotten the his wireless computer on the network cutting off at 7.30 pm and it works great. Now he can get in bed and get to sleep but the ipod still is gonna keep him away short of taking it away. I don't feel like i need to do all that when i can just shut down the wireless and all's good.

I really appreciate all your help.

Eric

Eidt2 - I'm not real network savvy, so please keep try to keep it in terms i can understand...lol Thank you a lot for all your patience!

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by ErRoR0:

I'm not real network savvy, so please keep try to keep it in terms i can understand...lol Thank you a lot for all your patience!

No problem, since the wireless computer worked, the ipod touch should work as well. Following the same guide as you did for adding the wireless computer, you will now have to repeat that for each other device.

If you are not seeing it show up in the list of devices, it is very possible that the router only displays devices that are active at the time... so you will need to either wait for him to be using it, or go grab it and have it do something online... like a video, or browse a web page, etc. Then go back and start the parental controls process again and it should be in the list of devices. You will most likely need to click the tab again after you get it online to "refresh" the list of devices.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

none of the devices that i add shut down the net even when i'm using the device. I can't figure it out. none of the ones i select will shut off his device....
ErRoR0

ErRoR0

Premium Member

all i'm trying to do is stop him from using his ipod and ipad at night when i got to sleep. for some reason, my connection and his aren't showign up when i add those...

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to ErRoR0

to ErRoR0
Weird and you have them configured just the same as his PC?

Try rebooting the router... perhaps it just got goofy. Just unplug and replug the power to the router.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

yea i have it set just like his pc. not matter which one of the devices i add, when i click block access, it still works....very strange...any thoughts?

eidt. I have youtube running on his Ipod and nothing seems to stop it...lol
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

A couple of things to think about. First is that are you sure he's not using 4G to connect? And I've heard that sometimes you can "download" you tube content so that it is available offline. Not an expert there, but it's what I've heard.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

yea i have no idea. it's getting late and i'm losing focus..lol I appreciate all your help and if i get it fixed, i'll post what the problem was. thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it!

eric

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to ErRoR0

to ErRoR0
said by ErRoR0:

I have youtube running on his Ipod and nothing seems to stop it...lol

Try deleting all the rules configured for the devices and then re-add them while they are actively online.

also on the ipod goto

Settings then look for Wifi

Is it connected to your router or some other router?

You might need to create a mac address entry for it if its an apple brand ipod touch running modern ios.

Modern ios does wifi spoofing when scanning and the router might have the rule set for the random mac address instead of the real one.

If its an ipod touch you can find its mac address in Settings, General, About

If its android check in Settings (looks like a gear or sprocket), About Phone, Status

Don't post the mac address here (they are unique to the device).

If you determine the mac address that the phone really has matches the mac address the router thinks it has mention it, and mention if they are different.

If they are different I would just add the restriction based on the known mac address you gathered from settings.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to ErRoR0

Premium Member

to ErRoR0
I do this with my kids. It works sort of...

I cannot stop the cell phone service or stop usage of what may already be stored on the device, music, videos, games, etc. None of them have post paid data plans, but services here are aways offering free promo's for internet and Facebook. Then there is texting. My oldest has a pocket Wifi, so even if I turn the Wifi off, she still can access the internet.

The only way to stop it is take the devices.
Expand your moderator at work

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Re: Limit my sons internet usage

said by battleop:

This (i.e. parenting) is the correct answer. I just have my son leave his DS/iPhone/iPad on the kitchen counter charging.

Don't you think a kid would be savvy enough to get ahold of another device and keep it hidden from his parents?