Search similar:

uniqs

Swervy
Running With Scissors
join:2001-01-14
Olathe, KS

Swervy

Gigabit Service and Router Suggestions

Just looking for some advice. I am a lucky person to have the option to upgrade to gigabit service from Consolidate Communication. Everything is installed, and they give me the option to use their router (Netgear R6300) that has been locked down so I can't really manage it or my own.

I currently have a Cisco E4200 which has been working fine....but with the new faster service I am not seeing speeds anywhere close to 1GB on speed tests(245up/225down). If I take the E4200 out of the equation, then the speed is within the acceptable limits (940up/900down)....

I have several wireless devices in the home, and a couple other computers....so maybe 8-12 network devices at anyone time.

Questions
1 - Do I need to upgrade my home router, and if so suggestions?
2 - Is there anything specific I should be looking at on router reviews to make sure it can handle the gigabit speeds that my service offers? Processor speed, memory, etc...?

Thanks for the help
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE

MVM

Smallnetbuilder's Router Charts would be where I'd start... there's several pieces of kit that can push 900Mbits or higher in the WANLAN direction.
The main thing I'd try and clarify is whether you have any other requirements other than being able to push GigE speeds? eg. 802.11G/N/AC?
Feature / functionality? Price? etc.

Alternatively, you could leave the E4200 for just wireless funcitonality and go for a DIY router-only device -- an old PC with some GigE NICs
running a router distro or the Ubiquiti's Edgerouter Lite comes to mind.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Swervy
Running With Scissors
Olathe, KS

Swervy

No special requirements for wireless...I don't currently have any AC devices.

I would like to spend in the sweet spot...price vs performance vs future-proof....so it appears that is in the $150 - $180 range at the moment....

I probably use the E4200 as a switch, just because.

Thanks for the thoughts....wonder if anyone else has thoughts??

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

bdnhsv

If you decide to go the DIY route, I'd suggest you look into PfSense - it has a lot of great features. They have a page on their website that has hardware suggestions for various throughput levels.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Swervy

MVM

to Swervy
The Netgear R7000 is in the price range you listed, and should easily handle your new connection.

»smile.amazon.com/NETGEAR ··· MJZPMGCZ

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Swervy

MVM

to Swervy
The R6300 is a GREAT wireless Router .... If I was you I would stick with it. The Advantage the R7000 has is it's much faster CPU which is an advantage especially with multiple gaming systems and a slew of smart devices.

Swervy
Running With Scissors
Olathe, KS

Swervy

Thanks for the help....I am doing a bit more research and will post back once I get something in place and let you know how it goes.

If anyone has other thoughts please pass them along.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Swervy

Premium Member

to Swervy
No point you got the best help already. Nothing to add.

fess
Central Pa
join:2003-10-17
Williamsport, PA

fess to Swervy

to Swervy
How about a used Juniper SRX220H? 950 Mbps of routing throughput should do well for you. I see them on Ebay all of the time for about a 100 bucks. You can also find H2's cheap as well if you are patient and want/need the extra on board memory.