spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RShea
@verizon.net

RShea

Anon

MagicJack Calls dropping

Recently been getting reports of dropped and disconnected calls on MagicJack. Tried a number of suggestions offered with their basic chat and ran speed tests on the Time Warner Cable connection.

Basic Setup was working for quite some time (more than 1 year) and just recently in the last few weeks it has happened pretty regularly. Seemed like it was right after the last annual renewal was paid at the end of Dec 2014. Mainly used for calling out and will connect and then mid way through the call will drop. No pattern, time of the day, person that is being called, etc.
Device was the MagicJack Plus plugged directly into the router. Tried different AC power adapter (one was causing static and noise on the line, so swapped it out. Still dropping calls. Checked the ethernet cable and swapped that for a while also. Router is set up with a few ports under QOS for UDP. However also just swapped out the MagicJack Plus for a new MagicJack Go this week. Still got dropped calls being reported.

Ran speed tests on the cable connection and close or right on the few times this was done after the complains started. What are the speed issues that maybe Time Warner or something higher up the connection chain could be different now in the last few weeks?

These are not cellular numbers that could explain the other end dropping a call due to coverage maps issues while traveling either.
Minni
join:2010-04-20

Minni

I've just attached a MJ-prep. document onto this forum & some of the tips may help - you never know.

I've read the 2012 version-dongle had proven the most durable for many people.

Also on the complaints-site linked at end of my document, a guy posted about there being a way to solve issues by RESETing the software, without needing to buy another MJ.
(don't ask me how, though! I dunno!

During your tinkering, did you by chance fool around with Settings in your Account? That in itself may have tweaked something not to work. That actually happened to me, as you can see in the DOC i attached to my other post.

So - did you try powering off/on your modem, followed by disconnecting-then-reconnecting the dongle?

Did you try disconnecting ALL BUT ONE of your phones?

When you state "AC-adapter" can I assume that means the USB-adapter?

Insofar as "speed tests" to give my own experiences:
I'm not so sure its related to that, as much as related to when the telephone co's HQ is dropping my connections, due to high-traffic or whatever. I have certain periods when that happens (and it happened even without MJ). Furthermore, I have VERY slow 1.0mbs DSL, and yet my outgoing & incoming phonecalls have been pretty OK. But it could be that you call a much greater amount of places & many more long-distance numbers than I do. I didn't opt for prepaid international - at least not yet.

RShea
@verizon.net

RShea

Anon

By AC Adapter I was referring to the AC to USB power adapter (like used for cell phones, etc.) used to go to the router directly instead of running off a USB on a local computer. The original with the MagicJack Plus had failed and quit working some time back, the replacement was another brand I purchased and had been using for some time. However the line had noise and was very static ridden when I tested some things. MagicJack sent the replacement MagicJack Go and I had to return the MagicJack Plus or else get billed for it.

I will read through the document you mentioned. I have for now disconnected the MagicJack Go and taken it to another location and testing it through DSL connection instead of the Time Warner Cable connection at this other location.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to RShea

to RShea
I have read that many people have problems using 3rd party power supplies AC/USB until they get one that is rated for 2A or larger. Kind of sounds like those GO models try to suck the life out of smaller rated power supplies, resulting in static and/or lost connections.

RShea
@verizon.net

RShea

Anon

The power supply I got worked fine for a year or so. I temporarily replaced the 3rd party with a cell phone charger and the noise and static went away, but the dropped calls continued. They sent a new MagicJack Go with of course a new power adapter. That new Go also was dropping calls- even with QoS and DMZ set up on the router....

So could be Time Warner. I have the device at a 2nd location and been using it for 2 or 3 days to see if it drops any calls.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav

said by RShea :

The power supply I got worked fine for a year or so. I temporarily replaced the 3rd party with a cell phone charger and the noise and static went away, but the dropped calls continued. They sent a new MagicJack Go with of course a new power adapter. That new Go also was dropping calls- even with QoS and DMZ set up on the router....

You get what you pay for, you do know that Magic Jack is at the bottom of the list for VoIP Providers. I'm surprised Tech people on here even use this Provider. Try some other Providers, you'll see how the service improves.