Fun Cancelling Vonage account.

Attempt #1

Hello how may I help you.

I need to cancel my account.

Hung up.

Attempt #2

Hello how may I help you.

Sure let me place you on hold real quick.

Random ring and 2 minutes later it hangs up.

Attempt #3

Hello how man I help you.

Starts talking about my service with them for 8 years etc and at the end of his speech he says my bill is reduced to 4.99/mo.

WTF cancel my account, I want no service, I want to pay nothing.

More random talking. Now on my 4th "I need to place you on hold for 3 minutes".

FML

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Back when I did it I ported my number out first, then after that was complete I verified with them it was canceled. It was.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
Wow, sounds just like the Comcast stories.

-----

Vonage usually does cancel an account when you port out.

In your case, port out to Ring.To which is free.
»ring.to/

Heck, you may even benefit that way. All Ring.To services are free, and you can forward calls to where you want. That way people calling your old Vonage number can still reach you.

And hopefully that action will cancel your Vonage account at the same time (but do check).

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

1 recommendation

Sly to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
I ran into this when I cancelled a cell phone a few years back. I found a simple fix but it may not be available for everyone. I switched my account over to a virtual credit card. The one I used is called "Shop Safe". I simply create a virtual card and then switch my billing over to use that card. Then I logged into my bank and canceled the card. Then when my cellphone company tried to bill me for another month, the transaction was declined. With no backup funding source, they canceled my service. I never had to call anyone but they did email me several times begging me to update my payment option.

Easiest cancellation ever... Once they stop getting money, your account is cancelled.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
It took three months of lies and two days to cancel it. Phew! Then I contacted FCC. I received a check for the three months it did not work, an apology, and a note stating the man who did not cancel the account on the first request was fired.

The bottom line: It is a good phone. But, the risk is not worth the aggravation. .
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to NOCMan

to NOCMan
A friend in California had a fairly pricey Vonage plan, which gave him unlimited calling to his family in Mexico City, including their mobiles. He asked if there was anything better.

I gave him an old ATA, set up for Callcentric, and also got him a Localphone account. Although Localphone's rates to Mexico mobiles are not the best, his family could now call him by dialing a Localphone access number at no cost, forwarded to his mobile at only $0.005 per minute. We tested the ATA at his office and he took it home. As he had only one cordless phone system and didn't care about porting, he decided to cancel Vonage before hooking up the new ATA.

The Vonage rep offered him a free month if he stayed with them; he accepted the offer.

A few days before the month was up, he called again to cancel but was offered another free month. He repeated this process for more than a year (!), until he tired of the game. By then, his younger boy had been given a cell phone of his own and a home phone seemed unnecessary. After arguing with the Vonage rep and eventually talking to a supervisor, he managed to cancel the account.

He gave me back the ATA, never used.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to Sly

Premium Member

to Sly
said by Sly:

Easiest cancellation ever... Once they stop getting money, your account is cancelled.

Might create a bad mark on your credit record, though.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

XCOM

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Sly:

Unfortunately I had to resort to this methods...
I didnt pay them and I was not under contract... For the life of me they did not want to cancel my account... I had my vonage account for over 10yrs. I was one of their first customers. Once the account was cancelled for none payment I called them and explain why I did it and payed the remaining balance.... It worked. No CS was hurt in the process

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

1 edit

Sly to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Sly:

Not for subscription services. I made sure any past amount was paid in full but then when they tried to bill me for the next month's service, the payment was denied and the service then cancelled.

But you're right in that if you have an outstanding balance then it could affect your credit. It did not affect mine though.

[edit] I just wanted to add that I also used Shop Safe to check my credit report. Those sites that give you your 3 bureau credit score for $1 but then want to enroll you in an expensive monthly credit monitoring service...

I created a Shop Safe number with a $1 spending limit and got my credit reports. Then 14 days later when they attempted to bill me for the subscription (which is also hard to cancel), the payment was declined. Once again they emailed me requesting that I update my payment information. I didn't have to call them or write them a letter or anything. My subscription never renewed and I got to see my credit scores for $1.

They make it hard on us... why not return the favor?