Search similar:

uniqs
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff

Re: FIOS 7pm-11pm over saturation 75/75 turns to 5/75

Here's another data point. Looks like the end node doesn't respond to pings.

C:\>tracert 167.206.8.148

Tracing route to speedgauge2.optonline.net [167.206.8.148]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms FIOS_Quantum_Gateway.fios-router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 7 ms 6 ms 7 ms L100.PHLAPA-VFTTP-84.verizon-gni.net [ deleted ]
3 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms G102-0-0-25.PHLAPA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [100.41.214.108]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 0.ae2.BR2.IAD8.ALTER.NET [140.222.229.169]
6 34 ms 34 ms 34 ms 204.255.168.226
7 40 ms 36 ms 39 ms 207.88.14.162.ptr.us.xo.net [207.88.14.162]
8 37 ms 39 ms 39 ms ae1d0.mcr2.newark-nj.us.xo.net [216.156.16.7]
9 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms 67.110.154.6.ptr.us.xo.net [67.110.154.6]
10 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms 64.15.2.93
11 16 ms 17 ms 17 ms 451be0ce.cst.lightpath.net [65.19.120.206]
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.

sniped

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to SDunused

MVM,

to SDunused
Just ran some tests on my line, and I seem to be having some problems, too. Didn't even know!

To the "Speedtest.net" provided Washington, DC server (IP: 50.22.217.218):
# speedtest --server 935
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from Verizon FiOS (96.224.XXX.XXX)...
Hosted by Speedtest.net (Washington, DC) [347.87 km]: 226.511 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 6.07 Mbits/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 21.82 Mbits/s

But my trace route doesn't show any noticeable problems.

To the other Washington, DC server, provided by Softlayer (IP: 208.43.102.250)
# speedtest --server 4041
Hosted by SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. (Washington, DC) [347.87 km]: 39.877 ms
Download: 5.36 Mbits/s
Upload: 23.40 Mbits/s

And finally to a test server in Washington, DC run by AT&T but is not listed on speedtest.net for some reason (IP: 99.24.18.65)
# speedtest --server 5113
Hosted by AT&T (Washington, DC) [347.87 km]: 29.848 ms
Download: 82.99 Mbits/s
Upload: 80.17 Mbits/s

The difference: the first two tests both go from Verizon (alter.net) to ntt.net in New York before making their way down to washington. The AT&T test goes directly from Verizon to AT&T's network in NYC. Seems like the peering points in NY might be getting a bit saturated.
Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff to gs0b

MVM,

to gs0b
Did you try running the speedtest from the Optimum Online NYC server? Interested to see what you get coming from a different location. Here's what I get on my line in NY (no issues):

# speedtest --server 663
Hosted by Optimum Online (New York City, NY) [19.51 km]: 13.302 ms
Download: 82.21 Mbits/s
Upload: 74.69 Mbits/s

gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

Using the speedtest.net web site it automatically picks the Optimum server in NYC. I just pulled 17mSec ping, 58 down, 64 up.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 92247195

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Yep, so no congestion there. I'm guessing SDunused See Profile isn't seeing congestion there either, but haven't seen if they've posted a test from that server yet.

What about either of the two Washington DC servers? If you want to run a trace route, the IP addresses are in one of my previous posts.
SDunused
join:2015-01-13
belgium

2 edits

SDunused

Click for full size
as you can see still experiencing the inevitable slowdowns at peak times

keep in mind i was occasionally getting 20% packet loss on hop 3 which according to verizon is their central office here. but i think it's the hub outisde my house unless that doesnt have an ip

hop 1: router
hop 2: ONT
hop 3: HUB on Street?
hop 4: CO

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Based on that and my results, it does seem like the congestion is more localized to you (in addition to the general congestion I was seeing to the Washington DC servers).

I follow more or less the same route after 0.ae2.BR3.NYC4.ALTER.NET (your 5th, my 6th hop) which is still inside Verizon's network, yet I get full speeds.

The ONT and Hub are passive devices - they do not show up in the trace. Hop 2 is your CO. Hop 3 could be in the CO or one level up (not sure, maybe a Verizon tech could chime in?).
SDunused
belgium

SDunused

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Not sure what you're trying to point out with that? That information (that the bandwidth is split up to 32 ways) was posted back in this thread awhile ago.

If you notice, 32*75Mbps = 2400Mbps. I don't think that speed tier was chosen randomly. On a GPON network, even if every customer subscribes to 75/75, there should be no downstream congestion (minus some overhead). Not many people sign up for 150/150 or higher, so that's usually a safe bet.
SDunused
belgium

1 edit

SDunused

that's what they sent me......... when i asked them while i was on the online chat with them

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to SDunused

MVM

to SDunused
said by SDunused:

this is to the ny verizon speed test

No, that's to an optonline-hosted speedtest.
NY verizon speed test is nyfiosspeed2.west.verizon.net which resolves to 108.12.159.10

As I mentioned elsewhere, if you want to document peak hour slowdown, you should keep screencaptures of verizon speedtest results with system time and date in the picture. Show test results in non-peak hours as well. If you have slowdown with verizon speedtest, do a ping plot to the verizon server. WinMTR is better.

The point is that any time you complain about access to something out there, you have to deal with congestion off verizon's network -- for them it's an easy scapegoat. Keep it on the verizon network to get someone's attention.

Bovan
@grandenetworks.net

2 recommendations

Bovan

Anon

I agree but that strategy falls apart when the issue is FIOS intentionally not maintaining its peering.

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

If slowdown issue is due to OLT or CO issues, they can be more easily resolved. I agree this does not address peering. I'm not convinced of the nature of the OP's specific problem.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

1 recommendation

serge87 to SDunused

to SDunused
There's some crazy congestion going on during evenings and it seems like it's on at least the regional level.
SDunused
belgium

SDunused to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

said by SDunused:

this is to the ny verizon speed test

No, that's to an optonline-hosted speedtest.
NY verizon speed test is nyfiosspeed2.west.verizon.net which resolves to 108.12.159.10

As I mentioned elsewhere, if you want to document peak hour slowdown, you should keep screencaptures of verizon speedtest results with system time and date in the picture. Show test results in non-peak hours as well. If you have slowdown with verizon speedtest, do a ping plot to the verizon server. WinMTR is better.

The point is that any time you complain about access to something out there, you have to deal with congestion off verizon's network -- for them it's an easy scapegoat. Keep it on the verizon network to get someone's attention.

have you not been reading this thread whatsoever? it's filled with speedtests ive been taking on the verizon website during peak hours and none peak hours..
ov7
join:2004-10-03

ov7

In their direct forum, Verizon clearly stated to me that they have no control over the traffic once it leaves their network, nothing can be done. My issue seems to be related to Level3 nodes, I am pulljng 85/90 on the Verizon Web site and 4/75 on Speednet using WDC server

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to SDunused

MVM

to SDunused
I'm not insensitive to your problem, but in the interest of accuracy, you mislabeled the ping plot. You called it to VZ speedtest server when it was someone else's. Yes, I have seen the speed test results you posted for 1/16, 1/17, 1/18 and 1/23. I cannot see if you have posted other samples in VZ Direct.

I have not denied there is a problem, but there's no way I can fix it. As I said previously, document the results. I still say "keep it on the VZ network" because you'll never get past the excuse of "we have no control after it leaves VZ". I am not interested in getting into the peering problem debate.

You are doing well since your PC system date/time stamp shows consistent results. Then, contact VZ tech support. Find out, to your satisfaction, what's going on or be prepared to change ISP.

Someone else has said engineering is aware of the problem but could not give an estimated date. for resolution. Maybe you have to cancel service to get high enough for a real answer.
SDunused
belgium

SDunused to ov7

to ov7
said by ov7:

In their direct forum, Verizon clearly stated to me that they have no control over the traffic once it leaves their network, nothing can be done. My issue seems to be related to Level3 nodes, I am pulljng 85/90 on the Verizon Web site and 4/75 on Speednet using WDC server

well they called me today saying that my escalated ticket will be fixed by a CO tech tonight at 9pm, but i highly doubt that this problem will be gone to be honest.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by SDunused:

well they called me today saying that my escalated ticket will be fixed by a CO tech tonight at 9pm, but i highly doubt that this problem will be gone to be honest.

Agree, not going to hold my breath. I am 260 miles from you and suffer the same problem. I guess my CO is fubar'd too?
Reeaalist
join:2014-07-31
Corona, NY

Reeaalist to SDunused

to SDunused
I have a problem with this as well and they schedule me for a technician to come over tomorrow.
SDunused
belgium

1 edit

SDunused

said by Reeaalist:

I have a problem with this as well and they schedule me for a technician to come over tomorrow.

you might as well cancel the appointment, they're just giving you the run around.
can't believe we have to deal with such things in 2015, while people in the UK pay 60 euros for 5gbps fiber.
i hope everyone is ready for the slowdown again tonight.

sludgemaster
Premium Member
join:2005-12-06
Bronx, NY

5 recommendations

sludgemaster to SDunused

Premium Member

to SDunused
Verizon's claim that they can do nothing about off-network traffic is, of course, false. The congestion is a result of Verizon's intentional failure to install more interconnections between the Verizon network and other peers -- despite the massive increase in traffic on the Verizon network due to customers switching to FIOS. The failure to make new connections was part of their strategy for extorting priority payments from Netflix. The massive increase in traffic on the Verizon network is due to Verizon's false advertising and representations of network speed. Verizon is simply not delivering what you contracted for. File complaints with the FTC and the FCC.
SDunused
belgium

1 edit

1 recommendation

SDunused

tracert to google is giving me 20% packet loss on the alter.net hop and also to google.com and that google.alter.net hop specifically is pinging 200ms, slowdowns are starting little by little download speed is getting worse. p.s ran the same tracert earlier with no issues. getting huge spikes on hops 2-4 as well, verizon's network/infrastructure is going to crap.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

Chris123NT to SDunused

to SDunused
Speedtest to Washington DC server is under 2mbit for me tonight, and trying to download office 365 from Microsoft won't go over 500kbit, yes I said kbit.

Something has got to give here, Verizon is quickly letting everything fall apart, I may have to switch back to OOL because of this.

And here's the alter hop on a tract to google, this is INSANE

7 * 237 ms 222 ms google-gw.customer.alter.net [204.148.18.206]
robtrevino
join:2008-04-25

robtrevino

I have the same issue and I'm in northern VA. My other option is *gasp* comcast

JohnCC
join:2005-12-19
none

JohnCC to Chris123NT

to Chris123NT
Speedtest is junk for me as well.

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

1 edit

icemannyr1

I'm having same problem on speed tests to servers outside of the FiOS network.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6936.png

I've also noticed the live web streams for CNN and FOX News Channel keep pausing and sometimes won't play at all.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

2 recommendations

nothing00 to SDunused

to SDunused
I'm on the 75 plan and I get 80Mbps to Baltimore ("hosted by Comcast"). Only about 3Mbps to DC though ("hosted by Speedtest.net").

Looks like the Internet forgot to pay their Verizon bill.
Reeaalist
join:2014-07-31
Corona, NY

1 edit

Reeaalist to SDunused

to SDunused
I only got time warner cable in my area and the speed they offer is ridiculous. Upload speed that is. And it sucks. And i usually get bad experience with time warner cable with the internet service problem. Verizon fios internet connection is stable except the congestion.. With the download speed currently. Someone should filed complaints to FCT and FCC and do petition how many people is having this problem.

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1 to nothing00

to nothing00
I'm having the same problem. Super slow speeds on tests to D.C.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3641.png