uniqs
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

VZW phone compatibility checker - works great

So I've got this Verizon iPhone 4S that is fully functional, active account, etc.

Just for amusement I typed its IMEI into the compatibility checker

»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· iceId.do

and was told that my (Verizon) phone is not compatible with the Verizon network

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The iPhone 4S on Verizon is an EVDO/CDMA only phone so it would only be programmed with an ESN and dialing *228 send. LTE didn't come until the iPhone 5. If it has a SIM slot it's only for international. Then you'd have to validate it on the ESN side. The IMEI is also for international use only on that particular device.

Edit: that particular phone will function without a SIM card as its provisioned through a software download. You just couldn't use it internationally. And if it was used internationally the SIM card would have to be registered with VZW with international dialing and roaming enabled.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that a Verizon web site tells me that my working Verizon-issued phone with an active Verizon account cannot work on the Verizon phone network despite the fact that I use it on the Verizon network daily.

It didn't qualify its dismissal such that it wouldn't work on LTE (of course it won't, it's a 3G phone). It didn't mention whether it wouldn't work globally (it does, by the way; my account has international access and the phone works on GSM in the UK). It just gave me a blanket "will not work with Verizon" message.

The same result was obtained with MEID or IMEI.

I suppose for extra amusement I should have accessed the web site via the cellular network (I was on WiFi at the time).

In short, my point is that the web site is completely useless since it says a working phone will not work.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Maybe they want to sell you a new phone. For ha ha's I'm going to punch in the IMEI of my iPhone 6 into the VZW compatibility checker.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to dave

Premium Member

to dave
My iPhone 6 plus said it was good to go. It just asked for the SIM card number.

Maybe they're trying to purge 3G devices from their network.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to dave

to dave
What happens when you put the ESN/MEID in instead of the IMEI?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Same.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude to dave

to dave
FWIW I did this to an old Verizon iPhone 4 and verified without problem. It's not activated, though. Since your phones are active, maybe this doesn't work, only on unactivated devices.

Edit: How did I not see the date on this. Sorry for bringing an old thread. Whoops!