Search similar:

uniqs
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

new spyware commercial win cleaner USB device

Just seen on me TV. Advertising faster PC than ever before. Looks like "bad USB" just hit prime time. Wonder if these guys have enough guts to come here for a chat like stop sign ala veloz did years ago...

WinCleaner
@205.204.28.x

WinCleaner

Anon

Hi, we publish WinCleaner. It has been in U.S. retail stores since 1996. Tested at Microsoft Labs by invitation only. It is not spyware and is used by millions of users worldwide.
Not a scam but really works otherwise the product would not be in retail for so many years. We are using infomercial to reach more individuals who really need a cost effective way to clean up their PC. The alternative is to take it a repair shop. You do not know who is looking at your private information. With WinCleaner you can clean your PC in the privacy of your home and can use it for up to one year. A repair shop charges $50 to $100 per clean up.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

4 recommendations

sivran

Premium Member

Unlike WinCleaner, a repair shop will actually clean up malware. WinCleaner does for 20 bucks what CCleaner does for free.

And that commercial, ugh, it's painful! Worse than the ones for the various ezula incarnations. And that's not to mention the website. Just the look of it screams snake oil.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
Out of curiosity are these USB stick "cleaners" read-only? Do you boot from them and scan with the OS not running?
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Looks like from wit in the is and it is auto run. As for if it works tjat is highly doubtful all the same language used as the cetcials for stop sign andy clean PC
As we all know claims of certified byicrosoft mean nothing. Of our anon rep who posted wants to show proof it does what is claimed send a couple units to those here for review. If it works I am sure my boss would sell in his shop. If they will not send out review units we can be sure it is trash that does nothing. As for CNET they are as trust worthy as a Nigerian banker promising millions!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
FYI, the guy who had enough guts was posting from an Internet connection located in Orlando. Florida. Just saying.

Looks like someone has already tested this thing and the comparison in functionality to CCleaner is valid, except that having the software installed [as with any additional startup program] actually slowed down the computer.

»wnep.com/2014/11/13/does ··· cleaner/
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

So in short it did not do as they promised and that is speed up a computer but worse than that it slowed it down more! Care to explain this wincleaner?

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

2 recommendations

SYNACK to WinCleaner

Mod

to WinCleaner
said by WinCleaner :

Tested at Microsoft Labs by invitation only

What was tested and what were the test results? I guess just basic "compatible with windows" or similar, right? I doubt that Microsoft would test, endorse, or approve claimed functionality.

Many people don't know that any microsoft store will also do these things for free.(details). Free in-store service includes: extended diagnostics, software repair&support, virus&malware removal, PC tuneups, etc), so if you are uncomfortable with installing anything (ccleaner, etc.), this is also an option.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

I like his bit about by invite only. That is not how a certification program works yo pay a fee if any the company will then check and make sure to some degree or another that it meets their standards of compatibility etc. This guy must think we are like their targets and are at best novice s with computers and that we will fall for this and not do any further research. Well that is a bad bit of thinking on his part.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

I'll state the obvious since no-one else yet has. How do you know that "WinCleaner" really knows anything vs being a troll trying to bait you/others?

That post reads like a script for the TV ads.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

This is true but let's not forget what happened with stop sing. These guys watch sites like this to see when and if we post warnings etc about their junkware. Assume that they are who they claim untill otherwise shown.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Nanaki:

Assume that they are who they claim untill otherwise shown.

Actually I assume the opposite especially with anonymous posters.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to DrStrange

Premium Member

to DrStrange
Results obviously will vary from one machine to another. This review at another site showed WinCleaner had no noticeable affect either way: »www.notebookreview.com/s ··· -review/

Reviews at Amazon are also mixed.

This leads me to believe WinCleaner does actually function as a cleaner in the same vein as CCleaner, which for some systems will result in a perceived performance improvement, while for others it'll do nothing.

But it doesn't do anything else (like malware removal) and based on the TV station's review, I wonder if it leaves some startup program behind.

If it actually did do malware removal I might be inclined to give them a pass, since their target audience is most likely suffering from malware. Removing temp files and "cleaning" the registry isn't going to help with that, but their advertising makes no mention of WinCleaner's lack of functionality in that area.

At least the program doesn't appear to be a threat to anything but wallets, though I am always wary of any program that tries to "clean" the registry. That just seems to be asking for trouble. I never use reg cleaners.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 edit

Snowy

Premium Member

said by sivran:

At least the program doesn't appear to be a threat to anything but wallets, ...

That would be a permanent threat to wallets.
This product does not offer a customer satisfaction guarantee.
All sales are final - no refunds.
You'd think with all the glorious light they shine on wincleaner they'd have enough confidence in wincleaner to not be a disappointment to the customer once they use it.

* DVD'S and software products may only be exchanged in the event of a manufacture defect
»www.wincleaner.com/
return policy popup window

edit to clarify the significance of the no refund policy-
The wincleaner contact us page says:

Your Satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed. If you are dissatisfied with any merchandise from Telebrands for any reason, simply return the product within 30 days for an easy refund of your purchase price, excluding shipping and handling. See our return policy for more information. Exceptions may apply

Saying that "exceptions may apply" is a very dishonest statement considering they are fully aware that with dissatisfied wincleaner customers exceptions will apply with no refunds allowed.
»www.wincleaner.com/contactus.jsp
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to WinCleaner

to WinCleaner
said by WinCleaner :

Hi, we publish WinCleaner. It has been in U.S. retail stores since 1996. Tested at Microsoft Labs by invitation only. It is not spyware and is used by millions of users worldwide.
Not a scam but really works otherwise the product would not be in retail for so many years. We are using infomercial to reach more individuals who really need a cost effective way to clean up their PC. The alternative is to take it a repair shop. You do not know who is looking at your private information. With WinCleaner you can clean your PC in the privacy of your home and can use it for up to one year. A repair shop charges $50 to $100 per clean up.

Who is 'WE'? If you're going to use that, you should explain who you are.

This is the security forum - nonsense like 'You do not know who is looking at your private information' will not fly, here. Save that crap for you next informercial...

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

2 recommendations

TheJoker to Nanaki

MVM

to Nanaki
Registry cleaners, even if it's the cleaner function in CCleaner, would not be recommended. The very small gain you might achieve isn't worth the risk of damage to your system. Unless you are competent to edit the Registry manually yourself, you may not know what is being removed, and even if the program makes backups, by the time you have realized that there is something wrong with the system you might not have the backup anymore. I would "just say no" to Registry cleaners in any form.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Exactly. Things like that are better done manually by those who know what they are doing. The only reg cleaning that should be done is removing malware's keys that could cause damage.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to sivran

to sivran
I honestly don't have much trust for reviews. Not when a commercial i seen months back was offering a service to promote your product with reviews on major websites. So i called them up and asked how they do this and they said they come up with some review scripts and have their "paid reviewers" Post those reviews on numerous web sites from angies list to amazon and other online shopping sites. So you know if one company does this many others do so as well.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
A review of something by a complete stranger is worth about as much as an advertisement for something made by a complete stranger. In such arenas, known and established reputation is everything...

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 edit

EGeezer to WinCleaner

Premium Member

to WinCleaner

Tested at Microsoft Labs by invitation only.

But is it Microsoft certified, or did it fail the testing?
Where can we find the Microsoft lab's tests and results?

The alternative is to take it a repair shop.

Or do it yourself with non-technical 'user level' level apps like CCleaner, Malwarebytes or MSE - all free. Malwarebytes premium is available for $24.95 a year (before 20% coupon code discounts) for up to three systems - about $8.33 per system. And, MSE and Malwarebytes premium remain resident to prevent against malware and spyware from installing.

The alternative is to take it a repair shop. You do not know who is looking at your private information.

See wincleaner privacy policy at »www.wincleaner.com/polic ··· vacy.jsp
According to the page, you clearly collect and share personally identifying information, and we have no idea what information the application collects and sends.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Yeh love that privacy policy.

Every thing about their commercial reminded me of stop sign antivirus and veloz. If you recall many years ago i started a similar topic "veloz scum ware commercial seen just now" That commercial this one and the my clean pc my speedy pc etc commercials are all very similar to each other. They all have the fruity xp style interface of stopsign etc. Those who make this garbage create "pretty" guis to make their products seem like they are professional. Yet when you look at the legit apps and programs they have any thing but a candied up interface. They are all business and no cute guis.

Now granted just because a gui has a appearance that is x does not make it legit or bogus. How ever when you add every thing up yeh it starts to paint a picture. Also the fact that most of these sorts of "cleaners" are picked up by anti viruses ither by specific signature or by heuristics is also very telling. Especially when in today's landscape you no longer get the problem of one av detecting another avs signatures etc as viruses. The reason is simple while they are competitors they are also sensible and know that those who run computer shops that do virus clean ups etc may install an use 2 or more av and as programs during clean up. So if these mass market "cleaners" were legit we would not have them being detected as malware pups and out and out viruses.