OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to PJL

Premium Member

to PJL

Re: Planning to switch to Verizon Fios

I read this and I just don't understand how to set it up.
OpTiC

OpTiC

Premium Member

So anyone has a video to show me how to set this up.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

Okay do I plug the Moca adapter to the set top boxes from Verizon and one to my router.

The boxes have MOCA built in and need coax in for the TV.
What exactly are you trying to do? Why do you think you need a MOCA adapter? Do you have a network device that only has coax nearby?

Basically do this: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier)

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I am not using their routers and will not be having one in my house. One I think they actiontec are crap. I will plug cat 6 from ont directly to my Asus ac87u router. Then I would need a moca adapter because the Asus obviously don't have MOCA.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

I am not using their routers and will not be having one in my house. One I think they actiontec are crap. I will plug cat 6 from ont directly to my Asus ac87u router. Then I would need a moca adapter because the Asus obviously don't have MOCA.

You HAVE TO use their router to network their boxes. VOD and channel guide won't work without it. Read the FAQ link I posted.

Your internet connection does not have to use it.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

No not according to here. I will be using setup 9.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ
OpTiC

OpTiC

Premium Member

I don't care if I lose remote dvr or caller id.
OpTiC

OpTiC

Premium Member

How much do I pay for a tech to install Fios services?

BTW This thread is pretty quiet oh well.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by OpTiC :

How much do I pay for a tech to install Fios services?

Should be no charge unless you ask them to run cables.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I already have a not as you seen in those photos. I will need them to run a cat 5 and unhook the coax from the drop to the ont if get TV.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Running the Ethernet cable will be free if you order 150/150 or 300/300 service.

If you order 75/75 or lower, the default is to hook it up using existing coax - there may or may not be a fee for running Ethernet (that'd likely be up to the discretion of the installer in your case, as coax isn't hooked up currently anyway).

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

okay I think I might get the 300/300 connection. I will add tv if comcast merges with TWC or Comcast picture quality is shit.
OpTiC

OpTiC

Premium Member

I will add tv if Comcast merges with TWC and their picture quality is shit. I will use a moca adapter to get the set top boxes to get VOD.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

FiOS picture quality is far superior to TWC. There is a thread on the TV forum: »Comparison of FiOS with Local TWC . BTW I don't think it's if Comcast gobbles up TWC; it's when.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

That being said, the merger with Comcast is unlikely to have any immediate impact on picture quality whatsoever. That is highly dependent on the local plant configuration, so its something that could take years to see any difference at all.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to PJL

Premium Member

to PJL
Click for full size
I will also switch if Comcast over charges me for TV. Verizon charges more for TVB channels than TWC. TWC only includes TVB 1 om their lineup for preferred tv. On Verizon Fios I have to pay 37.99.
OpTiC

OpTiC

Premium Member

So any ideas if I should get Fios TV with internet.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

2 recommendations

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

So any ideas if I should get Fios TV with internet.

For Sure.

Hob

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I think I will keep TV for sure for now.
OpTiC

OpTiC

Premium Member

So now I will start beginning to wire my house with ca 6. One Question Do I have to buy the Fios router?
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

FiOS TV set-top-boxes require a Verizon router for guide data, VOD streams, multi-room DVR and other functions. You can rent or buy; it's up to you. Used units can sometimes be found for a lower cost than new units.

Consult the FAQ for ways you can configure your network to make TV work properly.

Good Luck.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

If I use option 9 it said that I don't have to use the router. Is that true?
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

Got me. I like to keep things simple. I use the Verizon router and it works great for internet, WiFi, phone and TV.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to OpTiC

MVM

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

If I use option 9 it said that I don't have to use the router.

Option #9 will work with legacy STBs/DVRs using either a MOCA 1.0 or MOCA 1.1 MOCA bridge. MOCA 1.0 bridges such as the NIM-100 will not work with the new Arris Quantum VMS boxes.

It is best to have an VZ router around, even if it's not connected. If you call VZ for support, the will only help you if the VZ router is primary.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Which Moca bridge work for the quantum dvr. Will this work? Also Do I have to buy a twin pack or a single.

»www.amazon.com/Actiontec ··· 08EQ4BQG

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Those are MOCA 1.1 devices and will work once the VMS is activated. You MUST have the VZ router as primary in order to activate the VMS.

You only need one.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

okay Can I put the Verizon router into bridge mode. I am thinking of getting the quantum router.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

I don't know of anyone that has put the Quantum router in bridge mode (option #5), successfully or unsuccessfully.

The quantum router seem to share the same middleware as the Actiontec, but has been dumbed down. I don't have a Quantum router, so I have no idea if it can be used with that option.

mansplainer
join:2001-11-01
Charleston, SC

mansplainer to OpTiC

to OpTiC
If you already have the ASUS router, why would you want the Quantum router?

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

or if I get the advanced router how do I put it in bridge mode.