All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Blizzard
join:2014-09-21

Blizzard

[Help] Battery

Unable to start my vehicle yesterday (Figured it may be the battery). Today set up a charger (Schmacher SE-1275A) Left it going for about 8 hours.

Noticed the meter on the charger never moved past 75% (Was never at 0 to start, which I found odd.)

Did notice alot of "Fuzz" on both +/- terminals beforehand. I did clean the terminals first then hooked up the charger.

Still can't start.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Ok?

suckittttttt
@optonline.net

suckittttttt to Blizzard

Anon

to Blizzard
Can't start does not really help...

What does it do/not do.

Why do you think that battery would be 0%

The fuzz, did you take off the wires to clean the corrosion or did you just clean what you saw?

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to Blizzard

to Blizzard
what sounds do you hear when you try to start it?

take a video if you can of trying to start it.
Also post pictures of your battery where the Corrosion (fuzz) was
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to Blizzard

Premium Member

to Blizzard
If you have alternative transportation available, pretty much any auto parts store will test your battery for free if you bring it over to them.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

4 edits

Grumpy4 to Blizzard

Premium Member

to Blizzard
Be aware that auto batteries can be explosive due to flammable gas in their vicinity, so to minimize sparks and keep your face away from a battery when doing work on them is advised. I would recommend to plug the charger into the wall power after the + and - are attached. Explosions are rare, but they do happen. Just sayin'

A battery charger will show a higher value on it's gauge when first put into charge mode, then fall lower as the battery is charged. For example, a fully dead battery will pin the charger gauge needle all the way to the right which is showing you that the charger is putting out full power to charge the battery.

Cleaning the terminals requires removal of the cables from the battery, and clean all contact points. Go easy when removing the cables so you don't break the battery terminal down inside the battery. Note too that terminals that fasten to the battery cables with bolt type clamps are often dirty as well. Even though they are frequently used, it's not a matter of if they will fail, it's more likely when they will fail, but cleaning them is not impossible. A stiff wire brush is good to clean the cable side of these types of clamp terminals. If the cable corrosion is extensive, I would go so far as to cut off the corroded section, if cable length allows. If you are near Buffalo, magnesium chloride is likely in use as a road treatment. Mag chloride makes road salt look like baby food when it comes to comparing corrosive materials. Very nasty stuff. Salt does not melt ice well at below 20 F, and so Mag Chloride is used to enhance the salt's melting capabilities. Those who follow vehicles closely when Winter roads are wet usually get plenty of salt and Mag Chloride under the hood and into the radiator and AC condenser.

If you have access to a digital voltmeter, here is how to test your battery:

»carbatteryonline.net/car ··· ter.html

Take note of when and how to check and temperature issues.

Alternator check
»easyautodiagnostics.com/ ··· rnator-1

Boooost
@151.190.254.x

Boooost to Blizzard

Anon

to Blizzard
How old is the battery? More than 4 years, replace it.
System

to Blizzard

Anon

to Blizzard
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course