uniqs

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Ice Salt Safe For Concrete

I have a concrete patio that when you use traditional rock salt, it eats the concrete.

Is there a good ice salt that I can use that is safe for concrete patios?

Thanks

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I not only want an ice melt that is safe for concrete but is safe for the four legged friends.

I bought two bags of the pet safe ice melt at Home Depot.

It's more expensive but it's better for the paws of an Alaskan Malamute.

flaughs2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-07
East Freedom, PA

flaughs2000 to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Be sure to put the leftovers in an air tight container if left exposed to moisture they will turn rock hard like a bag of quickcrete.

I know I just mine ruined the remaining bag is rock solid.

lolomgwut
@optonline.net

lolomgwut to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
I fail to see what this has to do with a patio... the patio is not a dog... and it is still a chloride you are using and can still be harmful... safe paw is way better (however it has a glycol in it...) but it is big money. Best part is magnesium chloride can be deadly to pets... also mag is VERY bad for concrete (aint this a concrete thread?) I mean I think it is close to the worst crap you can put on concrete lol!

Alot of ice melt you must "use as directed" the biggest problem is TOO MUCH ice melt. If used sparingly, most will not damage older (1year+) concrete.

Urea would be the safest (but I can't say it even works)

I've used calcium chloride and never had a complaint but I do not do alot of salting... try to stick to plowing only... and I try to use VERY little.

Most everything keep in mind is bad to breath in or get on you.
lolomgwut

lolomgwut

Anon

Bah I got distracted by the mag chloride, sand (traction sand / ice control sand), is great for traction, and as long as the sun comes out (and the temp aint too too cold), that dark top coat can help melt the ice, of course, tracking it into the house can happen... and it is left over in the summer.

I'm in NY, guessing NJ got a good amount of ice as well? I plan to be doing alot of sanding/salting tomorrow. Bet there will be alot of calls... blah I hate it.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Salt.... yuck! I'm kind of glad where I live now it's too cold for salt. Certainly don't miss it, makes a damn mess everywhere and making things rust.

My parents swear by concrete sealer. Seems to do the trick, as their concrete driveway so far still looks brand new after many years. And yes, they do live somewhere that salt needs to be used.

That being said I don't think any kind of salt is going to be better for the concrete than others. The issue is that concrete is porous, and the salt by doing its job is allowing the ice to melt and the resulting moisture permeates into the concrete, allowing freeze/thaw damage to occur in the pores of the concrete. That's what breaks up the surface of the concrete. Concrete sealer blocks most of the pores at the surface and helps prevent this from occurring. Of course, it's not going to make the concrete last forever, but it does seem to help significantly extend the life of the concrete.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to lolomgwut

Premium Member

to lolomgwut
I'd like an ice melt that is safe for both the dog and concrete. Previous landlord (before building was sold) had it in his lease not to use ice melt but what am I going to do slip and fall on the concrete. I've got better things to do than recuperate in the hospital, young people can break their hips too.

And like I've said in this week's weekend open thread, with the weather we've been getting with the frequent freeze and thaw we have a lot of ice here. Today we had freezing rain this morning, mom took dog out she almost went to the ground had she not grabbed the fence. It's raining now but it's going to freeze when the temp drops overnight.

Crazy New England weather.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

Previous landlord (before building was sold) had it in his lease not to use ice melt but what am I going to do slip and fall on the concrete.

Sand and/or crushed rock.

It's what we use where I live since it is too cold here for salt to be effective.

Yeah, it makes a bit of a mess to clean up in the spring, but oh well.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
Deleted, saw that you answered above.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

How do they get rid of ice where you live.

We don't get rid of it. We just spread the aforementioned abrasives on top of the ice to enhance traction.

lolomgwut
@optonline.net

lolomgwut to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I'd like an ice melt that is safe for both the dog and concrete.

Okay your selected ice melt (picture) is very bad for concrete, and aint really a ton better for your pet.

Chlorides can dry out the paws, and mag can be deadly if the pet has any kidney problems... it is very hard for a large dog to ingest enough salt for it to be toxic (short of eating it out of the bag) wiping your pets paws no matter what is used is still recommended.

Also as my other post said, sand, is just rocks... pretty safe... I have quite a few customers who do not want salt, or want pet safe "salt" only.

No salt is traction sand / ice control sand (whatever happens to be easy to get sometimes the truck has a ton of ice control sand for weight in it so they get that)

Pet safe is as long as they are okay with the huge cost safe paw. If not they get something like safe pet. Few bucks cheaper locally. However I can not tell you what is in safe pet and if it is damaging to concrete for all I know it might even have magnesium chloride in it lol.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
I wish they'd use sand here, our vehicles would last longer. Cars last about 10 years at most before they rot out due to corrosion.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Abrasive ice control materials are not without weaknesses though.

They're not particularly good for places that experience a lot of freeze/thaw as they tend to sink down into the ice when things start to thaw, then ice forms over the sand/rocks. Result: you have to keep applying more every time there is a thaw/freeze cycle.

Also on roads the sand/rocks has a tendency to get pushed off to the sides in areas with high traffic.

In general, people here are just used to driving and walking on icy surfaces, it's just a fact of life during the winters. Granted, ice at -20C and colder isn't nearly as slippery as it is at 0C and most of our roads have speed limits of 45km/hr.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to WK2

to WK2
I hate the ice melt stuff. Around here it just helps it melt during the day and then freeze into a nice sheet of ice when the temp goes down in the evening. Plus, when tracked inside it is very slippery on tile and smooth surfaces. I watched someone go for a slide at the restaurant last night where they dumped a crap load of the stuff on the front sidewalk and their foyer was tile.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
I live in Ohio - we use salt - a lot of salt. I have never had a car last less than 10 years due to rust. Maybe old cheap cars but not anything newer.
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Calcium Chloride is supposed to be safe for concrete.

I bought a bag of this stuff
»www.menards.com/main/p-2 ··· 2409.htm

Surprisingly, Consumers reports says regular rock salt is safe too but not on concrete less than a year old
»www.consumerreports.org/ ··· ndex.htm

Zaber
When all are gone, there shall be none
join:2000-06-08
Cleveland, OH

Zaber to CylonRed

to CylonRed
I live in Ohio too. My four your old car is already rusting and my nine your old car has rusted so bad that I cannot use the factory jack to change the tire.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by Zaber:

I live in Ohio too. My four your old car is already rusting and my nine your old car has rusted so bad that I cannot use the factory jack to change the tire.

A business contact in Cleveland said never finance one over 3 years as it will be completely rusted before you can get it paid for.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Zaber

MVM

to Zaber
Ibhave a 2008 honda that spent its entire life in ohio (I got it used) - no rust at all. My 2001 330i that I got used had a spot or 2 of surface rust but did not show more serious rust till about 2 years ago. I have always gotten used cars, all in the rust belt and after about 1985, the cars were made well enough that they did not show rust till they were 20 years old. Even when washed 2 times a year.

New cars rusting to any large degree after 3 years = crappy built cars

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to Jack in VA

Premium Member

to Jack in VA

That is not necessarily true. I bought a 2006 Buick Lucerne in 2011 and it does not have a speck of rust today with 126,000 miles on it. I am 75 so believe me when I tell you that I have driven cars younger than the Buick was when I bought it to the junkyard as they had too many rust holes.