spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vrath
join:2015-01-19

vrath

[AB] Any hope for V1000H bridge mode?

Hey Guys,

I had a T1200 modem/router combo that was working great for the past while without any issues. I had it setup in bridge mode with my own EdgerouterLite & AP's around the house all working great with optik TV. Unfortunately we had a power surge in our building and the T1200 died. It was replaced with a V1000H on the firmware listed below. Telus will not switch it out with the same model I had before and unfortunately it appears this router does not have a bridge mode available to the user. This happened a couple months ago and I decided to just stick it out with the V1000H but now I am having random issues with it and every time a telus tech has come out it happens to be fine so he resets it and leaves. Starting to get a bit fed up with this process and would just like to have my old setup back.
Actiontec V1000H Firmware 31.121L.11

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

.11 can be bridged yes, until it updates to .13
vrath
join:2015-01-19

vrath

hmm ill have to check when I get home but I may have mixed up the firmware number. I might have .13
twixt
join:2004-06-27
North Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

twixt to vrath

to vrath
said by vrath:

Hey Guys,

I had a T1200 modem/router combo that was working great for the past while without any issues. I had it setup in bridge mode with my own EdgerouterLite & AP's around the house all working great with optik TV. Unfortunately we had a power surge in our building and the T1200 died. It was replaced with a V1000H on the firmware listed below. Telus will not switch it out with the same model I had before and unfortunately it appears this router does not have a bridge mode available to the user. This happened a couple months ago and I decided to just stick it out with the V1000H but now I am having random issues with it and every time a telus tech has come out it happens to be fine so he resets it and leaves. Starting to get a bit fed up with this process and would just like to have my old setup back.
Actiontec V1000H Firmware 31.121L.11

Call Telus Technical Support. Do not talk to the person who answers the phone - other than a request to be transferred to "Loyalty and Retention".

Once you are talking to the right people - explain your problem and insist that you have your V1000H switched out for a T1200H set for bridge mode. Tell them you had the right stuff originally - and they risking losing you as a customer because of incompetent Tier1 support subsequently.

Schedule a Service Call to replace your V1000H with a T1200H - and have the CSR note on the Work Order that the installer needs to have a T1200H in his truck for the call - and that the Router is to be set up in bridge mode. This will ensure you are getting the right part - and an installer that knows what he is doing. Telus have some installers who are unaware of the T1200H - you need one who is trained on installing and configuring this newer item.

Note: Telus Tier1 reps overseas currently do not know anything about the T1200H - it has not yet been listed in their screens as a hardware option. This is why you need to talk to "Loyalty and Retention" to get access to people who have the proper hardware options available on their screens. Furthermore, when you talk to Loyalty and Retention - some of the reps are not aware that the T1200H can be set to bridge mode.

When Telus reps tell you "we don't offer that option" - they are wrong.

Keep insisting for what you require - and don't take no for an answer. Telus has a lot of older V1000 units they are trying to flog out-the-door - and they might try to "play stupid" - don't let them.

I just finished doing this for a friend of mine - to get him the T1200H to interface to his Asus RT-AC66U. It took an hour on the phone to get everything properly sorted so the work order was correct - but the install itself went smoothly because the guy showed up with the right parts on the first truck roll - although he had to call into Telus' internal tech support to get instructions as to how to properly install the T1200H in bridge mode even though the work order specified this was what was required.

Other things:

Telus has two grades of installer. Employee installers and Contact installers. Many of the Contract installers are clueless. If the installer tells you anything about the T1200H not being available, do not let him in your house. Refuse the service call - contact Loyalty and Retention again - and get them to send an Employee installer who is familiar with the T1200H.

Keep the box, manual and instructions. The installer will try to take them back so you have no recourse but to call Telus for every little problem. Having the manual and other documentation helps if you need support quickly from here (without having to wait for a Telus technician to show up).