Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

[Other] Is the "comfort ring" mandated by the FCC ?

Every so often when I place an international call on my Vonage plan, I get this annoying recording of "please wait. We are attempted to connect your call" rather than the actual ringing. It annoys the socks off me; I'd much rather hear the ringing.

Is this truly "mandated" by the FCC as Vonage alleges? I thought I read/heard somewhere that it was Vonage who wanted that in lieu of ringing.

Thanks in advance. Just a question; not interested in changing providers. Cheers.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

arpawocky

Premium Member

My lay understanding, which could be mistaken, is that:

The FCC forbids *fake* ringing. Ie, during a period of post-dial-delay, the provider is not allowed to generate fake ringing - rather the ringing noises can only be generated once there is ringing on the receiving end of the call. So, instead of silence (which feel weird) or fake ringing (which would be illegal) some providers produce comfort noise.

If you really want to know for sure, why not call the FCC and ask them? I've called them so many times to ask them questions about things generally, and theyre always super helpful. (By all thats right, they should have told me to buzz off a long time ago lol)

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by arpawocky:

If you really want to know for sure, why not call the FCC and ask them? I've called them so many times to ask them questions about things generally, and theyre always super helpful. (By all thats right, they should have told me to buzz off a long time ago lol)

Clearly your FCC is more competent at what they do than our CRTC! In some of my conversations with them, I felt like I was explaining their own regulations to them!

Either that or I just always get the wrong person when calling to enquire about things.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by Trev:

Clearly your FCC is more competent at what they do than our CRTC! In some of my conversations with them, I felt like I was explaining their own regulations to them!

Heh. Haven't had that experience, yet at least..
said by Trev:

Either that or I just always get the wrong person when calling to enquire about things.

Try being super duper sweet to them on that phone - almost flirtatious but not quite (regardless of the answering party's gender.) Thats what always works for me when contacting the FCC, and even the IRS!

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

1 recommendation

Trimline to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
Your posted interested me as I have never heard of "Comfort Ring" before.

I call EMEA quite often and always hear a ring - never have heard a recording intercept the ring.

At any rate, here is a doc I located related to Vonage - »www.lifelinelanding.com/ ··· 0252013/

Quote:
Vonage Requests Time Be Granted in Call Completion Order to Change Network Call Tones Vonage had separate conference calls with Commissioner Pai's Legal Advisor and the Wireline Competition Bureau's Attorney Advisor on October 23, 2013, to discuss the pending call completion Order. Vonage emphasized that any new rules regarding the presentation of a "comfort ring" to calling parties should become effective no sooner than 90 days following the publication of the Order in the Federal Register. Vonage explained that while it presents callers with a "comfort ring" infrequently on domestic calls, any change in the call logic on a large scale must be done methodically and tested prior to deployment.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Thanks for the info ! I am the world's worst google searchers ... I have awards for that and stuff . Do you happen to know if this has - in fact - been approved (e.g. Order in the Federal Register) ?

I can't begin to describe how annoying it is on overseas calls. Fortunately, I can fill out a call completion trouble form on the Vonage website (with 3 call samples in a 24 hr period) and then they (somehow) adjust my call routing to UK.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline

Premium Member

Here's the queries...

»lmgtfy.com/?q=%22comfort ··· +the+FCC

But what was interesting, if you pull some of the docs, it refers to rural routes. Very confusing indeed.

»lmgtfy.com/?q=WC+Docket+ ··· o.+13-39

Perhaps some other folks here know of this, but to me, this sounds like a routing issue on Vonage's part.